What's new

Need advice on possibly shadey receiver deal plz (1 Viewer)

Dave-Z

Agent
Haloo folks.

Just got a new roomate, and he wants to make use of some spare speakers I have, particularly some NHT 1.2's I've had laying about.

It's a simple setup, just TV/DVD/VCR/music, all as a small bedroom set-up. Inlikely he will even use anything other than the 2 front speakers, but it's possible he might get the 'bug' and go from there... as we all have at one time or another. :) (he does have some itty bitty speakers for surrounds possibly)

So, he emails me this link: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...=247585#scroll

A refurbished ripped receiver from a HTB for $82. The mini manual shows how very basic it is, which of course it would be at that price, even refurbed.

I told him to wait a day before purchasing, figured I'd ask for some opinions here. You think this is one of those 'for $82 bucks, give it a shot, what's to lose?' deals, or should have one of those 'Do Not Buy!' banners waving all around?

Any alternatives anyone knows about that might be more reputable? (Ecost has some poor biz practice and customer service reviews) It could just be me and my aversion to buying anything audio that's out and out crap... :eek:

Sorry for the length, any quick hits would be great.

Thanks folks!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, if you know that eCost has a bad reputation, that would be enough to tank the deal for me. Especially with a refurb unit.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave-Z

Agent
Believe me, I wouldn't touch this myself, but my new roomate's a novice extraordinaire, just emailed me back that he already bought it. He can probably still cancel the deal though, as he just put it in an hour ago. I even had a nice amp for him to use, but I know this thing won't have any pre-amp channels. C'est le vie I guess.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I would buy from ebay before buying from eCost. I'm sure you could find a better receiver there and still fairly cheap.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The NHT's will probably send the refurb into clipping. They are difficult to drive speakers. He should have spent $200 or so to get him started if that is what he wanted to spend. Then again there are some cheap asses in the world so it may not have mattered.

Dave-Z

Agent
True to both above posts. I was out of town the past 2 days on business, so wasn't here to warn him off a bad path. Just have to educate him on danger signs, so he isn't responsible for buying me a used set of speakers that'll cost em $500 or so more if he fries em with nasty juice from a nasty amp...

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I've purchased new gear from eCost before. I even had to do a return for one item. eCost was good to deal with. Personally, I would not hesitate to use them again if they had something I needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks