Need your advice choosing a receiver...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by wes h, Oct 30, 2003.

1. wes h

wes h Auditioning

i'm fairly new to the HT world - the last system I played with was bought in 1996.

but i've been doing my research and waiting for the right deal to come along, and about two weeks ago, i picked up a refurbished kenwood VR-6050 from ecost.com for $99.

for my purposes, it was the ideal receiver - good clean power, DD and DTS decoding, a fairly good reputation for quality, and a GREAT price.

however, the unit was damaged in shipping and had to go back to ecost (no left surround output, or B speaker left main output).

so, now i'm back in the hunt for a good bargain. i have some leeway with ecost, so i've been looking at their refurbs, but will buy from anywhere, provided the price is right.

enough history. here are my requirements.

MAXIMUM SHIPPED COST of $200. i know that's low, but EVERY one of the receivers i've listed below meets that requirement.

i will be using my HT for about 75% movies and 25% music. i don't need a 7.1 system and don't even think i would get much use out of a 6.1. the receiever will be paired with some fluances (sx-htb's, to be exact) so that i can keep the entire cost below $600, with cabling and any extras i might need.

if you can't tell, i'm looking for a good 'bang-for-the-buck' system. i don't need top of the line, but i don't want bottom of the line, either. here is my short list of receivers i'm looking at - please rank or comment on which you think would be the best for my situation. also, if there is a unit on here that i need to consider, please let me know.

here is my list, in no particular order, including price from ecost.
    • Harmon Kardon AVR-125 $180
    • Onkyo TXSR-501 $180
    • Onkyo HT-510 $150
    • Onkyo HT-R500 $130
    • Sherwood RD-6108 $130
    • Denon AVR-1403 / AVR-483 $140
    • Yamaha HT-5550 $200 - a bit more than i'd like to spend, but i've heard lots of good things

forgive me if i've violated any protocol or have overstepped any bounds. i have been lurking here for a few months, ever since i decided that my trusty old aiwa just wasn't enough...

many thanks for your help!!!!

wes

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Yamaha IMO isn't good in the lower-end recievers unless you can afford $700+. Denon is a nice reciever... but my vote goes to HK.

The AVR-125 is just unbeatable, it will offer you everything you want, alot of high current power and drive those speakers until you go deaf...

The HK is also a very nice piece and HK is honest with there WPC unlike Yamaha at the lower-end recievers.