Need Advice on Low Cost Projector & Screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Maynard, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Hey all!

I have a friend in New Jersey that is remodeling his basement and would love to put a projector and screen for a theater. His budget is under $5,000.

Thanks!

2. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I got a BenQ 8220 projector and a 100" Da-Lite screen for less than your friend's budget and am very happy with those products. A lot of other people here have other projectors and screens within your friend's budget. Check out the other threads and the ones on avsforum.com (they break out the various projectors by type and cost).

3. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else?

4. LouAR

LouAR Stunt Coordinator

I bought Hitachi Home 1 and Dalite HCMW for under half that budget and I love mine. Other popular in these threads are X1, Z1, Z2, Panny 500. There has been much discussion here about the impending Infocus 4805 too. Projectorcentral.com has a list of favored projectors categorized by price range. Take a look at those. Of course, they have reviews for all of them to compliment the list. Throw distance/image size is certainly a factor. Resolution and DLP vs LCD are other considerations. Your friend might want to spend some time reading threads here and at AVSforum.

Hope something here is helpful.
    ~ Lou ~ [​IMG] FP - WOW!!! [​IMG]

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There are many options. One is the Sony HS20 (a 16x9 PJ with a native resolution of 1366x768) and a nice DIY screen which is way under budget or, he could purchase a 100" Stewart Firehawk screen (very nice match with the above PJ) and still be under budget.

6. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

My next upgrade will be a NEC LT240K with a Momitsu v880 DVD player that has the latest firmware upgrade to take advantage of the xga resolution.
    http://www.extremephono.com/momitsu_dvd_v880.htm
    I currently have a two year old model NEC projector and the build quality is excellent.
    The LT240k is a 4:3 DLP projector that's very popular.

7. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Hi Chris, I hope all is well with you.

I just did a Sony HS20 a couple of days ago. It looked quite nice. You will need to add a red filter then adjust the gray scale accordingly. Make sure you dont go too large for a screen size.

As far as screen selection goes, stay with something gray. If you want a Da-Lite I can help you with that, send me an email.

best wishes

gregg