What's new

Need Advice on Improving Speaker System (1 Viewer)

JonathanL

Grip
I currently have an Onkyo HT-R410 and a pair of HKB6 bookshelf speakers. For the year or so that I've had it, the system has really not impressed me. It does not very clean or crisp, and the system seems to have a lot of unnecessary white noise. My source is the optical output from my computer soundcard, I have listened to MP3s, CDs, DVDs, Games, and whatever else you can think of.

Looking forward to your suggestions, Thanks for your time,
-Jonathan

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
You should probably elaborate a little more so it will be easier for people to assist you.

Are you looking for a system only for your PC or are you thinking of getting a dedicated HT system w/ an A/V receiver that you can also use with your PC?

Also, what about budget?

JonathanL

Grip
Minimal Budget, and I do mean minimal budget. This system is pretty much exclusively for the PC. But I do watch movies a lot on my system, (VHS and DVD).

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
What kind of soundcard are you using? Many of the "onboard" sound chipsets aren't nearly as good as a dedicated sound card. However, as asked earlier, need more information about your problem.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
See if you can go listen to some different speakers, those are the most apparent piece even in a PC based system. If you like the speakers you have, try some different setup arrangements. Even pretty mundane speakers can sound big and open if you give them space. The next step in an upgrade would be the source equipment, a normal PC sound card is a terrible thing to connect a stereo system to!

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
If he is complaining about his system not sounding clean, crisp and especially hearing white noise, His problem is not speaker related. And if you get a professional sound card, you definitely can hook it to a receiver with excellent results. He may very well have a bad cable!

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Right, I have no idea why you would get noticeable noise unless something's damaged (cable, receiver input section, etc). The noise level could have nothing to do with the overall quality of sound from those components. Fixing the noise problem might just reaffirm the need to upgrade the speakers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks