What's new

Need advice on Cables / Interconnects (1 Viewer)

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Need advice on Cables / Interconnects

Hi,

As I am putting together a new system, I need advice on interconnects – since I am starting from scratch and have none. I need interconnects from Rotel 1055 receiver to cd player (might be SACD when the dust settles) VCR (audio cables?) and DVD player (might have 5.1 outputs for DVD-A).

I also need advice for a digital coaxial connection. My understanding is that coaxial is less fragile than toslink, so I would prefer to go with coax..

My TV does not any inputs – just a single coaxial input from antenna.

From what I have read, Monstercable is not the way I want to go. I also heard that if using e.g. AudioQuest interconnects, it is advised to NOT use their low-end offerings. Then, of course, price becomes much more of an issue.

Perhaps my budget is not realistic, but I wanted to stay under $150-200. I especially realize that this might be less realistic if including 5.1 interconnects for DVD-A or SACD. Perhaps a better way to phrase the budget – in terms of cost per pair (1meter or shorter).

Is this something I can purchase based on specification/advice/price, or do I really need to demo cables?

I also need speaker cable, but I think it best to not include that discussion on this heated topic.

Thanks for your suggestions!
jack

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Myself, I'd call the fellas up at www.partsexpress.com and with your manuals in front of you, they can guide you to reasonable selections. They now have a 'house brand' made with Dayton connects that is well made. If you prefer, various offerings from AR are available. Give em a call..good fast service, reasonable s/h.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jack, I have often read that Audioquest's budget RCA cables best Monster cables. I use a mid-priced Audioquest cable, the Diamondback. The Diamondback represents my first real cable upgrade. I use this cable for a few of my primary audio components in my main stereo system. The Diamondback replaced Monster Interlink 400mkII cables, which are available at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Tweeter. The Diamondback is noticeably better, though it is about twice the price of the Monster cables I was using. As I recall, a 1-meter pair of the Diamondback sells for $80-95. Audio Advisor (www.audioadvisor.com) sells a 1-meter pair for $95, but I bought mine from Music Direct (www.amusicdirect.com) for less. Music Direct is reputable.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Quite true Mike, but unless things have changed, I've issues with Outlaw and their return policy....unless they're defective, you bought em you own em. To me, that's poor for the consumer. You don't find that out until you're ready to place an order. They look like well made cables, but then so do many other less expensive choices with consumer friendly return policies.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chu, I couldn't agree more regarding Outlaw cables. They are tempting since people here seem to rave about them and they are cheap. However, it is ridiculous to not accept returns. You have to stand by your product. There is no excuse for that position. I have issues with Outlaw when it comes to customer service.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well that's a tough call as to whether they're cheap. They certainly seem to be lower priced than other cables that state they're using the OCC process, but its said 'one man's floor is another man's ceiling'. I'm looking into this OCC thing a little as I've an unconfirmed feeling that the OCC process may just not be all that expensive a thing seeing as how it originated overseas. Kind of like making a big thing out of OFC but then finding out its quite commonplace here in the states. Poor Outlaw, they've had such issues with their products and that hiss thing which I'm sure is taxing their support and just making them look bad all over. Personally I hope they resolve their issues of quality and get back on track. Competition is good for the marketplace and for us. People just need to keep contacting Outlaw and telling them they won't buy their cables unless they change their policiy. Enough people do it, and they'll change.

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Chu, KeithH, Mike,et al,
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and for your suggestions!
I was wondering about the Outlaw cables too, but alas, the no return policy is too strict and I agree KeithH, that they should stand by their product. I have been on Outlaw's reservation list for the 950 pre/pro since March, but I just put a deposit down on a silver Rotel 1055 receiver. At least with the receiver, I'll need a lot less interconnects than having separates!
The Dayton connects at www.partsexpress.com look really nice, but I have not located any user reviews about them on audioreview.com. Chu - Do you have Dayton cables or have you had them?
I also came across http://www.signalcable.com/ and their offerings look nice and reasonably priced, but again, I could not locate any reviews - other than the feedback on their web site.
Thanks again,
jack

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Jack
I suggest you take a look at the cables from Acoustic Research, they make a good quality cable at a very reasonable price about 1/3 what you could expect to pay for Monster's.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
Jack, if you can use a soldering iron, you can make your own cables. They are very easy to make. I also notice that your TV only has RF inputs. Guess you'll have to go to Radio Shack or somewhere for an RF converter to be able to watch your DVDs then.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd picked up a set of Daytons as my son mysteriously trashed his. They work fine. If you're looking for reviews I guess they'll be hard to come by as they likely don' rise to the challenge of being expensive enough and they use readily available materials. Myself, I don't put much stock in phrases like: "only bettered by two other cables i've tested and those were thousands more...or it was as if a veil had been lifted and I could now not only hear, but feel the agony in her life" I save that for the romance novels.
Signal Cable, to me anyways, is just another bunch of people (maybe one person?) looking to cash in and they're not the most informative bunch of people out there. Consider the following email exchange regarding power cables.
could you share with me the scientific principle that leads you to state "enhances your system's bass performence and soundstage"
Best Regards,
Frank
at www.signalcable.com we value nothing higher than product quality and customer satisfaction.
Well to me anyways this is another way of saying "because I said so". Personally, but then I wasn't a customer, just making an inquiry, I wasn't particularly satisfied with the response.
Ball's in your court.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I also heard that if using e.g. AudioQuest interconnects, it is advised to NOT use their low-end offerings.
This is absolutely not true based on my personal experience. They have an entirely new line (maybe the opinions are based on earlier version?!) by Bill Low and the entry level interconnects are excellent!

The copperhead and sidewinder (around $35) types are superb for the money. The best thing is to get the dealer to let you audition them yourself and decide in your system.

To make cables yourself is more complicated than it appears unless you have eletronics experience. And you don't get a dealer for returns!

Hope that helps,

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Dear All,

thanks for all your advice. I ended up going with RS Gold audio cables from radio shack. They seem fine to me. Perhaps my ear is not that discriminating.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks