What's new

Please help figure out wiring and interconnects (1 Viewer)

lptudor

Grip
Real Name
'J.R.' Riddell
Please help me figure out what I need to purchase in order to set up my brand new system from the ground up in terms of wiring and interconnects. I'm ordering all of the equipment listed below, and believe I can hook it all up, but I'm new to HDMI and surround sound, so could use some assistance. I've tried to figure it out on my own, but seem to get more confused re what I need to properly set up this system.

The AVR, DVR/cable box and DVD player will be housed in a closet and will support two separate TVs in different rooms. I am bringing in an electrician to supply new outlets and he can install wall plates for the surround speakers to hook into as well. (Note: I plan to run the speaker wires to the exact location of the speakers -- so I would like advice on whether it's necessary to run banana plug connect type wall plates or whether I can just run a wire through some sort of wall plate and hook it directly into the banana plug on the back of the speaker.]

The equipment is as follows:

-TV 1: Panasonic TH-50PX77U (50" 720p plasma)
-TV 2: Toshiba Regza 26HL67 (26" 720p LCD)
-AVR: Onkyo TX-SR605 (HDMI switching and video conversion)
-Speakers: Aperion (422 [left, right and rear surrounds]; 422-C
; S-8 sub
-DVR: Dish Network HD DVR ViP622 [although I could stick with Comcast and get their DVR]
-DVD: Toshiba HD-A2)
-Remote: Logitech Harmony 890
-Mount: Peerless RTFPF-320

I'm open to all suggestions re wire gauge, brands, and you name it.

Thank you!!​

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi lptudor, you've definately done your homework, I don't think you need much assistance ;)

Only one thing, in order to connect both TV's via HDMI you'll also want to purchase a 1x2 HDMI splitter. I would cable as follows:

- HD-A2 HDMI OUTPUT ===> ONKYO 605 HDMI INPUT
- HD-DVR HDMI OUPUT ===> ONKYO 605 HDMI INPUT
- ONKYO 605 HDMI HDMI OUTPUT ===> 1x2 HDMI SPLITTER INPUT
- 1x2 HDMI SPLITTER OUTPUT1 ===> PANASONIC 50PX77U HDMI INPUT
- 1x2 HDMI SPLITTER OUTPUT2 ===> TOSHIBA 26HL67 HDMI INPUT

For HDMI cables I'd suggest 24 AWG or 28AWG from Monoprice, for speaker cabling I'd suggest 12 AWG from Blue Jeans Cable.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, here is my stock advice:

Speaker Wire: Run 12 ga speaker wire to every location. Since you are running in-wall, you should buy a spool of CL3 or in-wall rated wire. The copper is not special, but the outer insulation is fire-resistant and wont act like a fuse if one side of the room catches fire. Many local building codes require this.

If you cannot get 12 ga, many high-end systems run 4-wire, 14 ga speaker wire to each location and twist 2 of the wires for "+" and two of the wires for "-".

I strongly recommend running wires into plastic wall-outlet box's. Buy blank wall-plate covers and drill holes for a custom look. Make sure to have the guy shove a foot or so extra behind the wall because every 2 years you will want to trim the ends off an inch and re-strip to expose fresh copper.

Run through wall-outlet box's on BOTH sides. Pull enough wire to create un-broken runs. You can always trim things and install Decora wall plates with binding posts later.

Make sure to run the speaker wires separate from any of the interconnects or power wires. You dont want cross-talk.

LABEL - LABEL - LABEL: Every 6 inches put "A", "B" lables with a sharpie, then wrap with scotch tape. Radio Shack sells special "Wire Labels" that do this. Either work.

SUBWOOFER Cable: You can buy a long sub cable from a site or use ordinary CATV coax with RCA plugs. Ask your installer about this or if he does not have coax & RCA plugs, you can get "F" connectors and "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors from Radio Shack.

Run the sub cable to the corner of the room where the 2 longest, un-broken walls join. Run through a plastic outlet box and drill a hole in a blank wall-plate to make a custom look. Make sure to pull 5 - 10 ft of extra coax so the sub can be placed 1/3 along the longest wall. Somewhere between 1/3 and the corner will be the optimal place for the sub.

Telephone & Internet: Make sure to have a telephone jack behind the equipment. Dish and CATV sometimes require this and Dish takes $1 off your monthly bill if you leave your PVR hooked to a phone line.

You may not have it yet, but Microsoft is pushing the XBox360 as a device for downloading HD content. Apple TV, and other devices are available and nearly all of them want a Cat5 internet connection. Make sure to have a hookup near your equipment.

While Monoprice has ultra-cheap prices, I would go with www.bluejeanscables for the HDMI and other interconnects. The owner is a member here and takes good care of us. For bulk speaker wire, spools of it can be ordered from www.partsexpress.com unless your install will provide his. If he wants more than about $0.60/ft, check out partsexpress.

HD Antenna - A lot of HD content is available for free, but you have to run coax to your TV (because your TV has the tuner). Go to www.antennaweb.org and type in your address to see what HD stations are near your house. If it is not too expensive, pick a place outside for an antenna and have your installer run a RG6 coax from this location to your TV location. Even if you dont use it, the potential for buying a $30 antenna later and playing is worth the install.

Hope this helps.

lptudor

Grip
Real Name
'J.R.' Riddell
Thanks to you both--excellent advice!

Two follow up questions.

1. Is it possible to purchase an HDMI splitter that will not result in degradation of the feed to both TVs? The Onkyo AVR has 2 HDMI inputs but only 1 HDMI output.

2. My longest runs for the HDMI cables and speaker wires will be 35'. Does this affect your recommendations re the proper gauge wiring to use?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

1. HDMI is a digital connection - It either works or it doesn't. There is no "degradation", you either get a picture or you get pure junk. Think of it as jumping off a cliff instead of a slow descent down a hill.

2. Consult you cable supplier. There is no "gauge", per se, for HDMI like there is for standard copper wire, but you may need a heavier duty cable for a run that long. Either Mono or Blue Jeans will not steer you wrong. For speakers, 12 gauge will be fine for 35'.

lptudor

Grip
Real Name
'J.R.' Riddell
I appreciate the fact that HDMI is a digital connection, but I'm admittedly a bit confused about whether an HDMI splitter will carry a pure and good signal to both TVs -- much of this concern stems from these user opinions I read regarding a HDMI splitter on Amazon.com (Unfortuantely I can't link to those reviews b/c the forum limits my ability to add links as a fairly new user -- you can view the opinions and the product if you go to amazon ans search for HDMI premium splitter cable.)

In following up on that concern, I've discovered that they sell HDMI splitter amplifiers that say they prevent degradation, etc.

Now I'm very confused. In spending this much money on a system I don't want to have a crappy signal and have to redo something (and pull new wires) after the electrician leaves. Any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks