Need a new progressive DVD player, please read.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gruson, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

Ok, I love my Toshiba 6200.

However, I want one of those newer players, like the Panasonic RP91, that will make non-anamorphic DVDs look better.

Of course, the player has to be progressive too and I would prefer it to hold 2 DVDs (like the 6200).

The new player will need to also support SVCD and I know that the RP91 does not.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks again.

2. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

Anyone???

What are at least some players like the RP91? (ones that can make non-anamorphic DVDs good).

What are the new Toshiba players that performs this?

3. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Your constraints are hard to respond to.

SVCD + multi-disc + non-linear scaling (non-anamorphic to 16:9 format) - I know of no player that does all that.

The 6200 is the ONLY DVD player I've ever heard of that holds 2 discs. Other than that you have to go carousel.

I don't know of any DVD player other than the 91 that does the non-anamorphic stretch. I guess that if you display a non-anamorphic DVD in 'pillar' mode on a Toshiba 4700 for example, maybe you can then use the zoom mode to stretch it out which would keep it in the right proportions - I think.

Good luck!

4. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

Does the JVC XV-FA90BK fit the bill? I'm not sure what SVCD means (and I thought I knew all the accronyms around here). But unless I'm mistaken, the JVC does scaling and with this player you get a 7 disk changer. Other than the TPM & Akira subtitle issues, I think this looks like a great player.