What's new

Need 26" to 32" LCD/HDTV Monitor Recommendation (1 Viewer)

Christian Lee

Auditioning
Hello all, I am new to the site and love the wealth of information. I did search however, but found nothing. So now I come to the experts

I am looking for an LCD/HDTV Monitor to use in my home office. I do want the following:

DVI Inputs for sure
HDMI
Something HIGH resolution (1600 x 1200 possible?)
16x9 Aspect Ratio?

The measurement area or cubby area that the monitor will fit in is: 32 inches wide at max, 23 inches high at max, 11 inches deep at max. Now I know if the monitor does not come with speakers on the side that I can get more monitor size etc.

I have been to Circuit City, Sound Advice, Sams Club, Best Buy and others, but am unable to put my finger on what direction to go in

I have looked at the Sony 26" LCD monitors, and the Sharp 26" LCD/HDTV Monitors, and yet there are still others.

The HDTV/LCD monitor I like so far is the Sharp LC-26GD6U, however this is $3000.00 It does have everything though, DVI, HDTV converter, the works. I am concerned however that there may be another brand or model or something that I have missed that offers a lot more punch for the money. I will most assuredly be using this for a computer monitor primarily, but including movies and games. I would prefer 30inch to 32inch but the cubby it fits in is tight, although I know there are models that will fit.

What monitor would you recommend for the money ( trying of course to save money, and get a great piece for a "great" price ). In other words, who offers the best option for the money with the features I want.

I truly do appreciate any feedback that I get, and ever moreso your time for doing so. Just tell me what brand, and any specs that you think I should look at. Thanks everyone.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
In my range of experience, the very best picture quality is from the Sharp Aquos line.

If you're not scared by the idea of buying on-line something like this, the LC-26GD6U is available for $2200 - $2500.

There is also the Sharp LC-32GD6U that is about half an inch smaller than your space's width, for $3200.

As I haven't been able to play with one for real, I don't know how they handle high speed motion - fast video playback and/or fast moving computer games.

Leo Kerr

Christian Lee

Auditioning
Apprently they are an awesome monitor, everyone keeps pointing at them, and the model you quoted is the exact model I was fixing to buy. But its smaller?

I checked the website and saw the dimensions as this:

Dimensions
(w x h x d) 31 19/64" x 25 1/8" x 12 5/64"
(with table stand and speakers)
31 19/64" x 25 1/8" x 12 3/32"
(with table stand and without speakers)
31 19/64" x 22 23/32" x 4"
(without table stand and with speakers)
31 19/64" x 18 57/64" x 4"
(without table stand and without speakers)

Problem is this, I need the stand for sure, but not the speakers. The width on that model is great, but the height with the stand makes it unusable.

Therefore I picked the other version of that monitor, called the: Aquos LC-32GD4U with the following dimensions:

Dimensions
(w x h x d) 38 37/64" x 22 9/32" x 12 5/64"
(with table stand and speakers)
31 19/64" x 22 9/32" x 12 5/64"
(with table stand and without speakers)
38 37/64" x 18 57/64" x 4"
(without table stand and with speakers)
31 19/64" x 18 57/64" x 4"
(without table stand and without speakers)

With that said, it appears this model will work after I remove the speakers and keep the stand, and it will fit like it was molded into the desk.

It appears to have the same specs as the Aquos LC-32GD6U or so it seems? The resolution is the same, also has the DVI, HDMI, same resolution of Wide XGA (1366 x 768), and the built HDTV tuner with full CableCARD™ “Plug and Play” capability.

So what is the difference between the 32GD4U and the 32GD6U? Other than that, it looks REAL nice!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I don't know the specifics - I was just going by a quick search of the Sharp site... and forgot to check against the height measurement.. :b

I suspect with the Sharp lines, if it's a 32" widescreen LCD panel, it doesn't really matter what the rest of the numbers are - the panel is almost certaintly the same; just the options and electronics.

I keep trying to convince people at work to buy me a couple to play with, but other than that, I've seen 'em at trade shows and Best Buy... you've reached the limits of my knowledge here.

(Unless you want me to compare to, say Sony. Avoid the Sony. I'd say that the second tier of LCD panel right now is ViewSonic.)

Leo Kerr

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if you can get them in the USA yet, but see if the Logik 27" is available. Over here it's considered very bargain basement (just under 1000 pounds sterling, which in the UK is *cheap* for an LCD of this size). The sound isn't brilliant (who cares if you've a home theatre system?), but once properly callibrated the picture is superb, and it accepts component video and is 1080.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks