NBC To Air Arena Football Games

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

From ShowBiz Data:

NBC TO MOVE OFF-SEASON FOOTBALL INDOORS

------------------------------------------------------------------------

After being nailed for a loss following the kickoff of the XFL last year, NBC has signed a deal to air Arena Football League games beginning next year. According to the Associated Press, NBC will receive NBC will receive a $20-million stake in the AFL and has an option to buy 49.9 percent of it. In an interview with the AP, NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol indicated that, unlike the deal with the World Wrestling Federation to field all new teams for the XFL, "We are marrying up with an established league, a legitimate league and its 16 years of quality performance."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    That can't be 100% correct because the NFL currently has an option to buy 49.9% of the league. And since the Orlando Predators have a large minority interest in the league, I can't see how both of these organizations can have a 49.9% option without the Predators selling their piece.

3. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Something seems funky about that. I always thought that ESPN essentially created and owned the majority of Arena Football. Since ESPN is owned by Disney, (which also owns ABC) it seems odd that they would offer it up to a competitor like that.

Then again, I didn't think John Madden would join ABC's Monday Night Football, so who knows...

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Arena League: [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

I believe there are multiple indoor football leagues, and they are specifically talking about the Arena league?

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

7. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    ESPN has nothing to do with Arena Football. They just televised games in the early years. The game was invented by a guy named Jim Foster and was refined by some of his former USFL buddies. In 1986 a test game was played and the first season was played in 1987. Foster was the first commissioner. ESPN has televised games in most seasons of the leagues history, but not every year.

And Seth, while I usually respect your opinions, I have to disagree with you. I don't know how the Firebirds are putting on the show, but I have attended 11 years worth of games in Tampa-St. Pete, and plenty of games in Orlando, Miami, Nashville, and af2 games in Jacksonville and Tallahassee. I have been to 3 championship games in the league's 15 years. It is always a lot of fun.

The games are fast-paced, close and exciting. Not sure how you can call it slow. There isn't even time to leave your seats to let the beer out (if that is your bevarage of choice). Slow is running 3 plays every 2 minutes (read that as NFL) instead of having 2 scoring drives. The game is designed to be offensive, but what amazes me even more is watching how brilliant coaches come up with defenses that work.

Where do you think the St. Louis Rams offense came from? It is based on the principals of the Arena Football League. That's why Kurt Warner is so successful in the NFL. And yeah, Warner's not even in the top 5 in terms of QBs to play Arena Football.

And as for the loud rock and roll music between plays, I guess you haven't been to an NFL game in awhile. Seems every sport is doing that these days.