What's new

Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta, teaser poster released (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
"Teaser released" is rather misleading. It's a teaser poster.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Ooh I can hardly wait!! Perhaps the success of this film will lead to renewed interest in THE WATCHMEN (although I think the mini-series format would serve that graphic novel better).

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
What's that on the the poster?

While I probably heard of the comic back when I was still into them, for some reason I was hoping this was a sequel to Leon. :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Looks cool! I'm curious to see how Alan Moores work can get adapted. Swamp Thing was pretty terrible, so hopefully this fairs better!

Sign me up for a watchmen movie. The buzz is great on it!

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Its the same concept as the cover of the trade paper back its a close up of the Guy Fawkes mask.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
"V For Vendetta" details revealed

04 March 2005

It‘s probably fair to say that to date big screen adaptations of Alan Moore‘s graphic novels, such as "From Hell" and "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen", have been rather average. Well all that looks set to change as shadowy comic book "V For Vendetta" is coming to our screens and, from what we‘ve seen, it shouldn‘t disappoint.

The movie is about to start shooting in Germany – it‘s "economically advantageous" according to producer Joel Silver – before moving on to London and we were lucky enough to be in Berlin when the Warner Bros. project was officially unveiled.

Adapted for the screen by the Wachowski brothers, the folks who bought us "The Matrix" trilogy, "V For Vendetta" is set in an alternative timeline where the UK is under the rule of an oppressive, fascist regime. But a masked vigilante known as V is fighting a guerrilla war against the government when a young woman named Evey Hammond joins him in his struggle. British actor James Purefoy has been cast as the enigmatic V – who can be described as a Guy Fawkes–type character – and fans of the comic book will be pleased to know that we never get to see the anti–hero‘s face. "It‘s infinitely more mysterious," Purefoy explained describing the mask as "melancholic and isolating, reflective…of the character." And the 40–year–old is obviously taking this challenging role seriously – as well as standing in front of the mirror for hours on end to get to grips with his face wear, he‘s even fallen asleep in it!

Joining Purefoy is recent Oscar–nominee Natalie Portman as Evey, a woman she describes as no "damsel in distress…she takes matters into her own hands." Although she confessed she‘s no comic book fan, Portman did reveal that the source material raised "moral…and philosophical issues" that she didn‘t expect and left her thinking for days. And it looks like the actress is taking things just as seriously as her co–star, even going so far as to shave her head to illustrate the "transformation" Evey undergoes during the course of the story.

Given the current political climate, it‘s easy to see why some people might have reservations about a movie that glamourises characters who could be seen as insurgents and even Portman admitted that she‘s struggling to decide if V and Evey are freedom fighters or terrorists. "That‘s the big question," she sighed, although she was quick to point out that the film celebrates the "power of people [and] the right to revolt."

But what can we expect visually from a film that‘s based on images already burned into fans minds courtesy of David Lloyd‘s stunning artwork. Well director John McTeigue explained he intends to use Lloyd‘s graphics as "leaping off points" and wants to give London a "neo–futuristic" look that will compliment the dark tone of the script.

And what of the fans? Well it‘s true that some hardcore "V For Vendetta" aficionados have expressed concern that, given the Wachowski‘s involvement, the film will be a victory for style over substance and that the Moore‘s original message will get lost in a flurry of special effects. But Joel Silver disagrees. "This is more people centred than The Matrix [and there‘s] not so much reliance on the CGI in effects," he said while McTeigue stressed that his movie will stay true to "the themes of the graphic novel and runs close to what Alan Moore wrote and tried to say." Add to this that all the post–production will be done in the UK and it would appear that the project‘s British heritage is being carefully preserved – even the film‘s official logo has been amended and now comes straight from Lloyd‘s artwork.

Will Moore himself be involved? Well apparently Larry Wachowski has spoken with him and the hope is that "V For Vendetta‘s" co–creator will take a more hands on role when the production moves to the UK. But one things for sure – "V For Vendetta" is a one shot deal and there will be no sequel as Silver confirmed, saying "This is it, it doesn‘t go past this."

"V For Vendetta" starts it‘s twelve–week shoot on Monday (March 6th) and should reach our screens, rather aptly, on November 5th – the 400th anniversary of Guy Fawkes‘ infamous attempt to blow up the Houses Of Parliament.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
as much as i loved all 3 Matrixes, i really really hope V doesn't do any kung fu fighting.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This is how she should look in Matilda as well (makes the wigs fit better for aliases/disguises) if that film is ever made. :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully she wont change her mind later and have them cut the bald scenes :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
She's got the Sinead O'Connor thing going - still beautiful despite the lack of locks.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Saw the trailer at Comic-Con today as well as a panel with Joel Silver, David Lloyd (artist of the graphic novel), and Natalie Portman.

The trailer was quite cool though I will confess that I've never read the graphic novel (a trangression that will be rectified soon). If nothing else the visuals should be spectacular.

It became quite clear that the Wachowskis' did a *lot* of directing on this one themselves. Its already been publicized that they did the second unit work but Portman went on and on about their directions on set with nary a mention of McTeague.

Not too much other real info from the panel unfortunately. 95% of the questions were to Portman and of the "which was a cooler experience: Star Wars, V for Vendetta, or The Professional" variety. It was truly cringeworthy and I was embarrased for Natalie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks