What's new

NATALIE PORTMAN as LOIS LANE in the new Superman (1 Viewer)

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator
Hey...I just read about this rumour on natalieportman.com.

Now, I adore her as much as the next dude, but I am not sure I like this idea...even if its just a rumour...thoughts?

Here's the article:

Superman V has reported today that Natalie might be cast as Lois Lane in the new (but seemingly troubled) Superman film. Here's the scoop...

Word reaches us that WB have more than just casting Superman on their minds. Rumour has it that one of the actresses they are looking at for Lois Lane is none other than Natalie Portman.

Portman has just finished shooting Episode III in Sydney and could find herself back there as soon as next year should the WB greenlight McG's movie. Would this be a good move for her though? Would she really want to do another high-profile blockbuster role on the back of Star Wars?

We asked her agent about this. Have WB been in talks with her about the part? They didn't deny it: "Nothing's conclusive"... What the heck does that mean!? Has she been in talks and nothing is signed and sealed!? Or are they refusing to deny it since they don't want to totally rule out the possibility of her going up for the role?

Obviously whoever plays Superman will have a lot to do with who they choose for Lois. With 20 year old Henry Cavill (who we revealed a month ago) now front runner for the Man Of Steel the WB will be looking for an actress of a similar age for his fellow co-worker/damsel in distress Miss Lane. Portman, 22, fits the bill and as we are told is one of a group of young actresses currently being considered.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
To be honest, everything here is rumor and probably will change 20 times more before things actually get moving. Until they actually start shooting, I'm taking it all with a grain of salt, including McG directing.

Actually, I am curious to see what McG can do outside of a Charlie's Angels film. Course, I'm not sure I want to see that with Superman...

Jason

Gruson

Second Unit
Thumbs down...I personally think she is a horrible actress....she was good when she was younger (The Professional) but that is about it.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

If this pans out, it's funny that the person WB has playing Superboy will be older than the one playing Superman.

Just wait for Smallville damnit!!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Just wait for Smallville damnit!!
I agree. Let Smallville run its course of stories they intend to do. And when the time is right for Clark to move to Metropolis and don the tights and cape, if they want to do it as a movie, great! Just be sure to include Welling and Rosenbaum. And that movie would have the advantage of not needing any "origin" work in it. So we could get right to the meat of the story.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thumbs down...I personally think she is a horrible actress....she was good when she was younger (The Professional) but that is about it.
I don't think anybody's ability to act could possibly get worse over age. She was good in The Professional because Luc Besson is a good director. She's crap in Star Wars because George Lucas can't direct. Same thing with Hayden Christiansen: crap in Episode II, brilliant in Shattered Glass. The acting wasn't bad in both Charlie's Angels films as far as I could tell, so Ms. Portman might do well if she ends up in the film.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Watch her in Shakespeare in the park and tell me she is bad actress.

I don't know what to think of her as Lois Lane though. To me the best Lois has been Teri Hatcher in The New Adventures of Superman. When she has the shoulder length hair, that is how I picture Lois. I'm sure she could pull off the part though.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Whoa... I'm still blown away that it's going to be directed by McG. :thumbsdown: I'm curious to see how Natalie Portman will do as Lois, but a whole LOT less curious about McG's plans for this movie.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Natalie Portman strikes me as a poor choice. If they want a hot young actress, they should go for Mandy Moore, who at least looks the part.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
Just about any actress would be better than the annoying Margot Kidder, so the Portman rumor doesn't bug me.

McG is what bugs me...Man, I hope that's not true.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And the ANorexic Horse teethed Teri Hatcher who actually looked good the first season, my goSH, what happened to her?
I wondered the same thing. I agree that she was a hottie first season, and her looks just seem to go downhill after that.

How about Selma Blair as Lois? She kinda looks the part...

Jason

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
I think the first mistake is the age they're casting this... at least if the rumors are true. And I agree, if they want a younger cast just let Smallville run it's course. Sure the Smallville cast may not be big stars but neither was Chistopher Reeve and that made him all the more credible.

Jennifer Connolly would be a good Lois Lane but she was already in a sub-par superhero movie this past summer, she may be a little comic book-shy.

they should release a spec ed that comes with a vomit bag because of her
Ha! That's funny.
Maybe they could digtally replace her with walki-talkies.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
From a franchise/sequel perspective, Connelly is probably too old. 5-6 years ago, sure, I'd consider her. She'll be 33 in December. When Superman I came out, Margot Kidder was around 30 (I assume she was 29 or younger during the filming), so she had 4 years on Connelly now. But I'd still have no problems with Jennifer Connelly being cast as Lois Lane (though playing a multitude of comic book girlfriends might not be what she's into these days since she was already Betty Ross in "Hulk" this year, and Jenny Blake in "The Rocketeer" in 1991).

I did have another candidate in mind, let me ruminate on it...

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I still like the Andrea Parker fromt the Pretender. But, like Connolly she is 34. If they are going with a young Supes, then she is too old.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Okay, just off the top of my head:

Katie Holmes (she'll be 25 in December)
Eliza Dushku (she's 23)
Ashley Scott (26, played Huntress on Birds of Prey)
Rhona Mitra (27, was the original Lara Croft model)
Amy Acker (27 in Dec., pull off spunkiness of Lois?)
Carla Gugino (I like this pick, but she's 32)
Jennifer Garner (31, and is Elektra/Sydney Bristow)
Tiffani Thiessen (almost 30)
Angie Harmon (also 31)
Krista Allen (also 31)
Catherine Bell (way too old at 35)
Vanessa Marcil (34)
Brooke Burke (she's 32)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks