What's new

Names misspelled in TV credits (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Inspired by my post in THE FUGITIVE thread regarding the misspelling of Jacqueline Scott's name in one of her appearances in that series, I thought it might be be an interesting diversion to list other such occurrences where actor's names are unintentionally misspelled in the credits.

In addition to the one I've started with, I can also list Whit Bissell. In a couple of the early TIME TUNNEL episodes, his final "L" is missing.
Bissel.jpg

GlennC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn
David Hewlett’s name is misspelled as David Hewlitt in the S02E07 episode of Dark Matter “She’s One of Them Now”. I remember at the time David Hewlett joked on twitter that some imposter was impersonating him.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I believe I read in the "I Love Lucy Book" that one season of the series misspelled Desi's name in the following credit:

WIlbur Hatch conducting the Dezi Arnaz orchestra.

RBlenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert Blenheim
David Lean's multi-million-dollar production, Bridge on the River Kwai was released with Alec Guinness's name spelled wrong as "Guiness" in the main and end credits both -- and he won the Oscar for the role!! (It's since been fixed.) (You can see the misspelling in early VHS tapes.)

Roger Corman's film, The Haunted Palace had Edgar Allan Poe's name spelled wrong -- his middle name was spelled as "Allen". (Of course there is some justice here since the film was not based on Poe but on H.P. Lovecraft anyway!)

In the James Bond film Thunderball, Martine Beswick's name in the end credit was misspelled as "Martin" instead of "Martine".

These are just three that seem unbelievable but are true.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Perry Mason, season 9, episode 12, The Case of the Fugitive Fraulein

charleshradilac.jpg

Charles H. Radilak, aka
Charles H. Hradilac
Charles Hradilac
Charles Hradilak
Charles H. Radilac
Charles Radilac
Charles Radilak

Link

On second thought, maybe this is the correct spelling, or maybe there is no correct spelling. :unsure:

---------------

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Probably many I can't recall at the moment but:

Noah Beery (Rockford Files) on The Love Boat credited as "Berry."
Steve Landesberg (Barney Miller) on The Rockford Files credited as "Landesburg."
Author Lewis Grizzard on Designing Women credited as "Gizzard."
Actress Lisa Harrow on Space: 1999 ("The Testament of Arkadia") credited as "Liza."

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Just recently caught the end of an episode of The Millionaire on Decades. The copyright notice displayed MCMXVII. I heard 1917 was a good year for TV. Of course, it should have been MCMLVII, 1957.

When the closing credits of the first season of The Simpsons were done, 1990 was shown as the copyright date; apparently it was not known or realized that episode #8 would be broadcast as a Christmas episode - in 1989. The 1990 date remains.

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
Ed O'Neill, from Married With Children and Modern Family fame, guest starred on Hunter in a Season 1 episode (so circa 1984/1985, well before he hit it big with MWC), "The Garbage Man" (in which a just-starting out Frances McDormand would also appear!) and his name was misspelled as Ed O'Niell.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Law & Order: SVU season 3 episode 23- Silence. Eric Stoltz’s name is misspelled
(Eric Stolitz).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There are a couple of Gimme A Break! episodes from season 2 in which the copyright for Alan Landsburg Productions under the in-credit keyed-in logo is spelled "Allan". The syndicated reruns replaced all ALP logos from the first 4 seasons with Reeves Entertainment Group logos and added a separate copyright screen before cutting to a short MCA TV logo.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
In the fourth-season episode of Hogan's Heroes, "The Big Dish," the director's name, Edward H. Feldman, is misspelled as Feldmam. Since Feldman was a long-time producer of the series, and by then, executive producer, his name should have been familiar with the title writers.

Not really a mistake, but an omission, on seasons two through five of The Twilight Zone, the name of the episode is displayed, always enclosed by quotation marks - except two episodes, "The Silence" from season two and "Valley of the Shadow" from season four.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Not really a mistake, but an omission, on seasons two through five of The Twilight Zone, the name of the episode is displayed, always enclosed by quotation marks - except two episodes, "The Silence" from season two and "Valley of the Shadow" from season four.

And at least one episode of The Streets of San Francisco from the fifth and final go (the Hatch go) had the title in quotation marks (presented as such on the disc label for Season 5, Vol. 2, Disc 3 [last disc of the series], on the menu for that disc, and in the "tonight's episode" screen in the title sequence): "Let's Pretend We're Strangers" (OAD Thurs. May 19, 1977 on ABC)...

streets5-2-3.jpg
streets5-2-3menu.jpg
streetsstrangerstitle.jpg

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
And at least one episode of The Streets of San Francisco from the fifth and final go (the Hatch go) had the title in quotation marks (presented as such on the disc label for Season 5, Vol. 2, Disc 3 [last disc of the series], on the menu for that disc, and in the "tonight's episode" screen in the title sequence): "Let's Pretend We're Strangers" (OAD Thurs. May 19, 1977 on ABC)...
The official title of two Three Stooges shorts "I Can Hardly Wait" (1943) and "Don't Throw That Knife" (1951) are enclosed in quotation marks (although DVD packaging and menus don't show them). The book "The Complete Three Stooges" by Jon Solomon notes the quotation marks and those are the only titles in quotation marks in the discussion of the shorts.
I CAN'T HARDLY WAIT.png
DON'T THROW THAT KNIFE.png

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The official title of two Three Stooges shorts "I Can Hardly Wait" (1943) and "Don't Throw That Knife" (1951) are enclosed in quotation marks (although DVD packaging and menus don't show them). The book "The Complete Three Stooges" by Jon Solomon notes the quotation marks and those are the only titles in quotation marks in the discussion of the shorts.

And episodes of the various Star Trek series across all versions have had the episode titles presented with quotation marks on the first shot of the episode at the title screen, but not displayed that way otherwise (on the packaging or in the menus)-- an example being the fifth-season Voyager episode "Someone To Watch Over Me" (OAD Wed. Apr. 28, 1999 on UPN; on Disc 6 of fifth-season release).

First two pictures indicate the unquoted title, on the packaging and in the menu:

voyagerstwomlisting.jpg

voyagerstwommenu.jpg

Last one shows the quoted version, on the episode title screen:

voyagerstwomtitle.jpg

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Well, I hate to discourage anyone's participation, and I appreciate the recent replies, but as the thread starter, I really wouldn't consider the presence or absence of quotation marks or other punctuation as being a misspelled name, especially if it's a DVD title. In most of the above cases, the presence of quotation marks in an episode title generally gives the reader the impression that the words are indeed a quote that someone in the episode might say, think, or imply, rather than just title words like Escape From Death.

I'm mostly interested in actors or even characters whose names are misspelled in credits.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Well, I hate to discourage anyone's participation, and I appreciate the recent replies, but as the thread starter, I really wouldn't consider the presence or absence of quotation marks or other punctuation as being a misspelled name, especially if it's a DVD title. In most of the above cases, the presence of quotation marks in an episode title generally gives the reader the impression that the words are indeed a quote that someone in the episode might say, think, or imply, rather than just title words like Escape From Death.

I'm mostly interested in actors or even characters whose names are misspelled in credits.

Thread did get a bit off-topic, didn't it?

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
The 6th (or perhaps 7th) season premiere of “Beverly Hills, 90210” listed Jennie Garth as “Jenny Garth”. It was corrected for reruns, but I still have it on tape somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks