What's new

Directors Name Those Movies - A Different Type of Screen Shot Contest (1 Viewer)

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I have my own webpage that I pay for. I pay $8.25 a month for 500MB of storage and unmetered bandwidth. Your ISP will probably provide you with some free web space.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mine is kind of a mix of both. I have my own domain, which is how I am able to do the email answer submissions with unlimited email addresses. I also have web space with the domain (of course) but I am using the space that comes with my internet service for the images in the contest. Many ISPs offer free web space to their customers, but they never seem to just automatically set it up for you. You have to ask.

Then you need an ftp program (many available free) to transfer whatever you want to your web space.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm going to go ahead and post the second image now, so for the next couple of hours, you will be able to answer both.

A warning, my email has been a bit slow and once I post the answer to the first shot, I won't accept any more answers for it. So if you haven't sent in an answer, send it now.

I'll be back in a couple hours with the answers to Round 1.

This one is a little more difficult.......

[c]
Round 2
[url=http://members.interfold.com/ricephoto/htf/ntm/02.jpg] [/url]

Click on the image to submit your answers

Put your HTF user name in the subject line and list the movies in the body.

Don't discuss the image until the answers are revealed
[/c]

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, Chris, I went to your website and I see you must work a lot with Photoshop. I've had it for years but only really started working with it heavily in the last year. It's getting more and more important a skill for me to have. Do you work with it for your job?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I never said it would be easy. I did say Google would not be of much use with many of the movies, didn't I? :p)

Anyone planning on just looking up the film list of each actor in an image is in for a big surprise. Sometimes they will be recognizable, but they often won't. I'm not trying to make it completely impossible. On one image, I got something from another movie in and realized nobody on earth was ever going to have a chance in hell of ever recognizing it, so I added a second element. I think it is possible to recognize every one fo these movies, just not from the details. I've already gotten some pretty complete answers.

Let the true competition begin!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The answers to Round 1 are.......

[c]Chicago
Punch-Drunk Love

Maximum Possible Points: 4

4 points

Andrew_Sch
Bill McA
Brad Porter
BrettB
Chris Moe
Dave Gilbert
Elizabeth S
Iain Jackson
James_Kiang
Jim_K
MartinTeller
Matt Pelham
Nicholas Vargo
Nick Sievers
Paul Mason
Ray H
Rob Tomlin
Steve Gon
Walter Kittel
Wes C

2 Points
Bjørn Olav Nyberg
Brian Lawrence
Brook K
Bruce Hedtke
Richard Travale
william-scooter

1 Point
Brian Kleinke
Mark bk
Steeve Bergeron
[/c]

Most common incorrect answer: Desperado.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Took a stab at Round 2. Since I was pretty lucky at Chris Moe's game, I decided to put my luck to the test. If this turns out bad, I'll be restraning myself from anymore wild guesses. I'm sure I got something wrong. :) But what the heck, it's a game.

And can we go into negative points? ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For the potential complainers, I have only gotten answers from 4 people so far and have gotten correct answers for all but 2 of the movies, including 2 correct answers for one I thought would be one of the most difficult.

And can we go into negative points?
Oh yeah! You bet you can! You didn't, Ray.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Oh man, I'm blind. Very annoyed with myself for submitting my answer too early, I just recognized another element. Oh well.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Most common incorrect answer: Desperado.
?????????
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I'd love to know how someone saw Desperado in that shot.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
The picture could definitely be a little bit bigger.

John, I no longer do any Photoshop at my work, although I used to do a little at my last job. I mostly just do it for fun and for stuff on my webpage. I have done a lot of photo retouching and image touch up (levels, curves, etc.) as of late, if you need any tips, I help you in anyway that I can.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Please understand something folks. I am very conscious of how the images are put together. Everything about them is absolutely intentional, and as I said before, if I find I have done something I think nobody has any chance of recognizing, I make it easier. The current shot is very soft in the film. If I add a bunch of crystal clear elements, they will stick out like sore thumbs and the contest will really be too easy. I'm kind of seeing how far I can push it and still be recognizable.

You should all know that after only 8 answers, all but 1 film has been identified and all but 3 of them by at least 4 different people. So, it is hardly impossible. There are other shots coming up where every element is sharp as a tack, because it fits the primary image. Understand the concept? So, no, it is not always necessary to have fine detail to recognize the elements. The answers so far already prove that. Absolute nobody will have a chance of getting every element in every image. That is the whole idea.

I know, I kind of broke my own rule about not discussing the image, but I think it was warranted just this once.

So, let's play.

I'm in my happy place. I'm in my happy place.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It also occurs to me that some people may be running their monitors at higher than 72 dpi. I'm not going to take responsibility for that. I create them to be seen at 72 dpi and if you run your display higher than that, I suggest you download the image and look at it at the proper resolution in some image program.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are still a couple hours until I post the answers to round 2. Anyone who hasn't submitted their guesses shouldn't wait until the last moment.

[c]
Round 3
[url=http://members.interfold.com/ricephoto/htf/ntm/03.jpg] [/url]

Click on the image to submit your answers

Put your HTF user name in the subject line and list the movies in the body.

Don't discuss the image until the answers are revealed

Bonus! This image has a particular anomaly in it. That's the only clue I'm giving.
Everyone who correctly identifies this anomaly along with their answers will receive 3 bonus points.
There will not be a penalty for incorrectly guessing the anomaly.
[/c]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks