What's new

Nakamichi 8.5, quality system? (1 Viewer)

JonFu

Auditioning
Hello,

I am pretty new to the HT world and am looking for a system that would compliment my 27" tv mostly for DVD movies and maybe some gaming. A friend of mine is willing to sell his Nakamich 8.5 system for half the retail cost and I was wondering if anyone can comment about this particular system's pros and cons. (Obvious con is the price - at half the retail price, it's still pretty exp.) Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jon. Welcome to HTF!

Nakamichi tends to try to be the upper-end of retail and almost exotic. While outstanding quality, I have heard of this brand having issues like it will not respond to a universal remote because it uses some exotic wavelengths for the remote.

You did not mention the price, but if your friend is selling it to you for about the price of a HDTV, ... well I'd put my money into a larger television.

Here is a dirty-little secret: a set of budget priced speakers, and a subwoofer with modest electronics can give you a outstanding HT experience. People have bought some $500-$800 Home Theaters in a box for their in-laws and been suprised at how good they sound.

If your friend wants more than $1,000 for the system, I'd pass.

But I will admit I have not auditioned this unit so keep this in mind. :)

Enjoy your stay.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please note the following quote, lifted from the notice posted permanently atop the main thread-listing page in the Basics area:

Here's where you want to ask about a specific-model HTiB. Thanks.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
With your tv, you will see no difference between the Nak (or any high-end player) and a $50 player.

Your tv cannot take advantage of features such as progressive scan, scalers, and digital outputs. I can also assume that hi-rez, multichannel music is also beyond your system's capabilities.

JonFu

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies guys.

Rob - I guess I was just looking for something with superior sound quality. Your right in that my TV will not be able to handle 1080i resolution but that shouldn't effect whether or now the sound quality can be used to it's fullest potential, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks