What's new

Mystery Polk RM6010's? (1 Viewer)

SteveMarcR

Grip
Hi everyone.... hoping to get some advice....

I recently purchased a Sony KP-51WS510 51" HDTV, Samsung DirectTV HDTV tuner, Sony NSP-725P Progressive Scan DVD player.

Now, of course, I am looking at sound systems.

I didn't want to spend too much money for two reasons:
1) I bought the TV mostly for HDTV sports viewing and occassional movie watching.
2) Presently, I live in an apartment, and I'm afraid of all the complaints I will get if I have a loud system.

So, I think I have narrowed it down to two things:
Either the Onkyo HTS-660 (HTIB) (or if someone knows something similiar in this price range)
or
Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver and Polk speakers.
Now, onto these mystery speakers...

I went into my local Fry's, and they said that these Polk speakers that normally run for $599, were on sale for $279. So, when I came home to research the speakers, I can't find them ANYWHERE. The ONLY place where they come up is Outpost.Com, which of course, is Fry's online store. (If you want to check them out, go to Outpost.com - their product number for them is 3660445) Does anyone know anything about these speakers? I've determined that they are 4 sat. speakers, with a subwoofer and center channel. Are Polk speakers generally high quality stuff? The 4 sat. speakers (I assume 2 front, 2 rear) are pretty small - fit in the palm of my hand.

So my question is: Do you guys suggest the HTIB for now, or the Panasonic receiver and the speakers? I can get the component setup for about $500. The Onkyo HTIB runs $400.

My gut tells me to go with the Panny receiver and speakers, but I just don't know about these speakers. I mean, over 300 dollar price cut?? Does that seem right?

Any help would be most appreciated, and please forgive my ignorance!

Thanks,
Steve

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
The Polk RM6000 series are surprisingly good sounding speaker system for their size. As with all surround systems, proper calibration with an SPL meter will give the best possible performance. At that price I don't think you can go wrong. If they don't sound good in your room you can always return them.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
A friend of mine bought the RM 6000 for his apartment a few months ago on Ebay and overall he's very happy with it. If the system you're looking at comes with the sub, I doubt you'll find a better price anywhere. I don't know what to make of not seeing 6010's though. That's a little odd since there are 6000, 6020, 6050 etc.

His two complaints: He says the center channel is too weak. To me it just sounds a bit tinny. The other thing he says he doesn't like about it is that the sub isn't shielded. I can't confirm this though so I have to take his word for it. He ended up placing the sub in the back of the room behind and to the left of the seating area so it was as far away from the TV as possible. He prefers having the sub placed up front and to the side.

Before he got this speaker package (after divorce), he had a house and an HT with Polk RTi38's all around and the CSi40 (I think) center channel. That HT seriously rocked IMO, and that he's content with the RM 6000 setup in his apartment says something.

Though it's very subjective, Polk makes a very good speaker IMO and many of their models are well priced giving you a lot for your money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks