What's new

My very first day on the golf course! (1 Viewer)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Yelling "Fore" is to help make sure you hit the person in the face, rather than the back. It's a courtesy, but it's pretty pointless.

Bruce

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
My experience with golf has been up and down. I began shooting 55+ in nine holes and dropped to the low forties (after a couple years) and have since gone up after only a couple rounds in three years (lack of practice). I shot well with K-mart special Dunlop irons and later purchased a set of Tommy Armour 755's. I chunked nearly everything :frowning: but also chunked my driver, so I'm sure it's not the tools. :)

I had a motorcycle accident almost three years ago (that's another story... deer sprinted out from the brush right in front of me). I don't remember much from that day, but I do remember shooting a 42 over 9 holes and the people I was with commented on how good my swing was.

My next round was a year later and I shot a 110+ over 18. My game went to hell with no practice. I hope to hit the slopes this summer. :)

One other note - my swing took years to get where it is, which is pretty good, IMO. It's not perfect by any means, but my mechanics have drastically improved. I have my brother to thank for that. He always told me what I was doing right and wrong. I've seen people get pissed when someone tries to critique them, but I didn't. I took it to heart and worked on what he said. I'm happy for that.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Offering advice is a very tricky matter. One of my regular golfing buddies and I (we both shoot in the 80's) will occasionally make a comment if we observe the other doing something different, but are each pretty tentative in doing so. We do practice together in the winter, though, and advice is offered more freely then at the indoor practice dome.

The one time I really regret not offering advice was last year, when I was a single and paired with a married Korean couple. The husband was a decent golfer, but his wife (who spoke no English) was fairly new to the game. She was a small woman and was using a huge, oversized driver. She couldn't hit the ball more than a few yards with the club, which was obviously way too big for her. She actually hit the ball pretty well after she got to the fairway and used a different club, but it was painful to watch her duff her drive on every hole. I just couldn't bring myself to say anything to her husband, but I really wanted to suggest that she try her 3 or 5 wood on the tee.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Most golf courses really don't seem to like people to walk
My local public facility has two 18 hole courses. The newest 18 is impossible to walk, regardless of how hardcore you are about it. It's hilly around here and it's quite a workout even for the cart. Heck, at one point, it's a half-mile between one green and the next tee, first down a steep hill, across a valley and then up another hill. Fortunately, the original 18 isn't too bad for walking; at least, the hills are not quite so tall and the slopes are milder.

As far as yelling "fore" - yes, it does work but you still must use common sense when hitting, else you might be in for a lawsuit. I've been hit many times by golf balls and even the slow moving ones hurt like hell.

This is now my 47th year of playing golf. I used to be a decent club player - I was a club champ way back in the early 80's and runnerup a few times more - but in recent years I've hardly played at all. I still hit practice balls a lot, for some reason. I always get a second chance at the range and I don't have to keep score. Lost a lot of distance, which I really miss.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I can't remember if the guy hits the ball back to the group that hit into him, and/or goes nuts, runs back up the fairway and scares the crap out of them, waving his club at them. Anyhow, it was a funny scene, nonetheless.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
The Masters was exciting golf! (Some will say that's an oxymoron but damn Jordan was amazing!) Loved every minute! And with this win he's actually old enough to have a drink to celebrate! Just wish he'd stayed at -19 and broke every previous record...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Spieth winning did not surprise me. He is an incredibly talented young man, and has been playing very well coming into the Masters. Between him and Rory McElroy, golf fans have some exciting times ahead watching such talented young golfers. Both seem like fine young men, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks