What's new

My speakers can't handle the sound? (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
I have a Sony 360 dvd player, a yamaha receiver that was like $500 and one that I think has been very good for me so far, and the JBL NSP1 speaker set.
Last week, I got the Terminator DVD, and this week I got the 5th Element Superbit dvd. I first noticed this problem with Terminator last week... at scenes with a high pitched sound, usually a scream (most notably the part in the movie where Arnold throws Sarah's roomate's boyfriend through the door, and her roomate screams real loud) .. it's like I hear the sound but coming from my center speaker there's like a crackle sound.. like it seems to me that the sound being sent was too much for the speaker to handle. Then, I noticed the same thing in the 5th Element today, on the DTS track, in some yelling parts.. I switched to the DD track and the problem went away.
This is the first time I ever had this problem.. all of my other DVDs seem fine. So, is it just a bad job with the sound on these 2 dvds, or a job so good that it's better than my system can reproduce? Any ideas?
------------------
Tim Kline
HT Newbie Extraordinaire!
[email protected]
Link Removed
My DVD List
Link Removed

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
This is what I call crackle. It is an over-attenuation of the dialog track. This is a mastering error on the DVD itself. I have noticed this on more and more DVDs recently. It's extremely annoying and painful to hear.
Having better speakers actually worsens the problem, as more accurate speakers will, naturally, let you hear the problem even worse.

DanKaps

Grip
Two other instances of "crackle" that I notice are in the Toy Story 2 and Air Force One. During the video game intro of TS2 when Zurg get hits in the face with the "manhole like disc", his yell has noticable crackle. Also, in Air Force One the initial woman's scream during "smoke in the cabin". Both movies' scenes make otherwise good demo material but I always cringe when the "crackle" rears its head.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Hmmm. I never noticed the crackle in Toy Story 2. And I've played that intro scene like 50 times. Next time I'll listen more carefully to see if I can pick up on it.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
OK thanks for the info, I'm glad it's not my system :) I also listen to DVDs with the DSP effects off, sound usually seems better that way to me.. would using those DSP settings make the crackle go away? Like I have settings for "Sci Fi" or "Adventure" .. only time I use it is for 5 channel stereo when I watch something that doesn't have 5.1 sound...
------------------
Tim Kline
[email protected]
Link Removed
My DVD List
Link Removed

Martice

Screenwriter
I haven't noticed the "crackle" sound described here. I hope this isn't a case of defective discs.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

DanKaps

Grip
I'd like to hear what others hear during the TS2 moment I described. Maybe what I am hearing is purposeful distortion of Zurg's "electronic" voice. I've heard this on many systems including mine (as well as a multi-10K system of Theta/Revel Gems & Voice).

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Well, I threw in Toy Story 2 last night and cued up the scene in question. Sure enough, when Zurg gets hit in the head and screams there's definitely distortion. It lasts barely a moment and sounds similar to a clipped signal. But it occurs at any volume level - I played it at about 25 or 30dB below reference. I agree that its a mistake in the mastering. A fairly big mistake in my opinion.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I haven't seen the 2 DVD's in question yet therfore I can
not confirm nor deny the existance of the dreaded crackle
but what I can say is that Good Speakers and a Good Receiver
make BAD music sound HORRIBLE!
Don't laugh, I have 2 Celine Dion CD's that have piss poor
recording quality, it sounds as if when they did the studio
master recording Celine's Mike Master Volume was set too
high and I hear horrible audible distorsion in her vocals
even at the lowest of volumes! *Sigh* I never heard these
things on cheap speakers!
frown.gif

It's time the recording studios wake up and learn how to do
thier jobs. We pay $15-$50.00 for certain CD's and DVD's and
we do so without any major gripes but if this is what we can
expect when running high end gear then I think it's time we
do a little boycotting.. I want CLEAR recordings otherwise
I would still be using a phonograph.
------------------

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
These "crackle" flaws can be found on a whole bunch of discs. I spent quite some time trying to determine if the problem was mine or not.. Made me CRAZY! Another real easy to notice scene in Air Force One is when the tell the bad guy that the pres escaped and he screams.. Really clear there. Also on Gross Pointe Blanke a scene in the car when the guy is yelling "TEN YEARS". Its real bad. Pisses me off they cant do a better job and screen this shit a lil better

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Toy Story 1 is a crackle-rama. Tim Allen's voice just crackles everywhere. DD Galaxy Quest also has really bad crackle.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
YES.
I have a JBL N-Center and I notice the crackle in the Terminator disc also.
I've also heard it in a few other movies, specifically during screams.
At first I was worried, because I never heard it before with my crappy HTiB speakers. However, I kinda figured I was hearing the dialogue MORE clearly on the N-Center, and it must be a flaw in the soundtrack.
BTW, I heard TONS of crackling on Snow White, but I can only assume it's cause the soundtrack is 50+ years old.
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
It's time the recording studios wake up and learn how to do
thier jobs. We pay $15-$50.00 for certain CD's and DVD's and
we do so without any major gripes but if this is what we can
expect when running high end gear then I think it's time we
do a little boycotting
---------------------------------------------------------
I also have found this annoying problem with hiss on certain discs and it drives me stark raving bonkers.
On a pavarotti disc which I have which you would imagine has audiophile mastering, but it has an audible background hiss.
I currently have Klipsch RF3s and I would not like an any more revealing speaker to this, because I have given up listening to my bob marley cds because of the hiss.
Surely with todays technology we shouldn't have to suffer through hiss no matter what year the original was recorded.
Aaron

Luis A

Second Unit
Well, I hate to ruin it for those of you who have not picked up TPM but the movie is filled with "crackling". Just FYI. L

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
hehe I was worried at first.. spent a lot of time and money getting what I thought was the perfect system in my price range, and I thought it was all going bad :)
I guess all we can do is hope that the studios will try and take out the snaps, crackles and pops and give us better sound.. I don't know enough about how it all works to even recomend how they do it though :)
------------------
Tim Kline
[email protected]
Link Removed
My DVD List
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks