What's new

my sound keeps cutting out... (1 Viewer)

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
Hi I am having a problem with my sound, there are random moments where the music/sound/whatever it is im playing (audio) cuts out momentarily and comes back. This happened as I moved into my new dorm room from my old one. I am wondering if this is a power issue or something else? I checked and double checked all the connections from my computer/receiver/cdplayer/amp/etc and all is good and solid. There are a lot of other things plugged in here and there in this room (fridge, microwave, fan, lamp, tv, computer, etc) and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it? This is driving me crazy.

thanks in advance

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Seungsoo,

What receiver/processor?

I had a similar problem with my Denon 3300, and eventually gave up and got an Outlaw 950. I guess Denon is somewhat more sensitive to power fluctuations than others,a dn in my system this caused endless audio drop outs!

When you get the audio drop outs- can you tell why? What I mean is- does the receiver lose sync (you see the lights or format indicators change on the display) or could to be some sort of internal amplifier failure?

-Vince

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
hmm the receiver is a Kenwood VR410. I havn't checked the lights on the receiver, I will be on the lookout for that. I really have no clue what could be causing the dropout since it worked fine in a room down the hall where I was staying last year.

a dn in my system this caused endless audio drop outs
sorry, a dn?

EDIT oh ya the reason why i think it might be a power issue is because when I turn on the fan, the sound cuts out as described as above, and it does the same when I change the fan speed. But it will do it even if the fan is completely off, so I suspect it is some other piece of equipment as well?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Sounds very very similar to the problems I had-- only in my case it was the light switch. If I flipped on/off the switch, I could get the audio to drop for a second-- but even if the lights were off, it would still lose sync on its own.
Sounds like something in the power. You could try a line conditioner that has a low pass filter (which would filter out any noise in the power line that wasn't strictly the 60 cycle AC)- that might fix it. I tried adding some basic filters to the line, but had no luck.
There was another guy on AVS who pointed out that he had even run a completely isolated dedicated power line on its own circuit- yet his would drop out all the time (when the microwave was turned on, etc).
-Vince

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Try a line conditioner or even a UPS designed for a computer. They sell small UPS's for $50-60 these days; it should be adequate to power a typical receiver.

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
check your speaker wire.
years ago i lived in a very old house, had my stereo hooked up in the same place for years. then one day, when playing my music loud, as per my norm, the sound died. then came back on. this continued for awhile, i checked out everything. connections, wires etc. could find nothing. took in my receiver for what i was sure to be a fix. nothing was wrong with the receiver. the repair guy asked me a few questions then said to go home and check every inch of my speaker wire. sure enuf, i had stapled the wire to the baseboard. ( i was very young & renting at the time) and the house had shifted, bare wire was intermittently touching a staple and shorting out my system when it touched. the short version? check out your wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks