What's new
World Wide Stereo

My Sony DVP-NS715P...... (1 Viewer)

James_Barcus

Agent
When I plugged my Sony DVP-NS715P up to my HDTV via Component/Progressive I noticed some serious video flaws. The picture looked almost blotchy!! I could see "sparkling" little black dot's, some white. I have it hooked up via S-Video now and it seems fine... Why is this happening? I looked in the user manual and found a nice little paragraph that stated it wouldn't be compatible with all tv's VIA the component/progressive scan hook-up... I found that to be kinda odd but I'm thinking that's what the problem is. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, help us by identifying the television involved.

Do you have the DVD player connected to the wideband, 480p-capable inputs? The standard component-video inputs are for 480i, non-progressive sources.

James_Barcus

Agent
My Tv is a JVC-AV48WP74, I have no idea if it is wideband.. I'm assuming that they were standard... I returned the cables though... I'm getting a great reception with S-Video but I would like to use progressive.. Do I need special cables for this or something? Thanks for the help..

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Use component-video connections. On the back of your JVC you should see two sets of component-video connections. One of them is probably labeled "HDTV" or "wideband" or something similar. Use those.

James_Barcus

Agent
Doesn't sound familiar but I'll have to check... I mean it's no big deal really, but I would like to use the progressive signal because that's why I bought the dvd player in the first polace...

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator
If I am reading the features listed here correctly, it sounds like this TV should accept the progressive output from the DVD via either one of the HD component input sets. It looks like there are a lot of video enhancement modes available through both the DVD and the TV along with additional upconversion of the DVD's 480 p-or-i signal to 1080i by the TV. Perhaps less is more ( enhancement settings ) might be the way to start. Slowly enable these to see what gives you the best results. You do have to select progressive vs interlaced output on the component outputs on that particular DVD.

James_Barcus

Agent
I know, I just picked my Philips DVDR75 Recorder up yesterday and am probably going to be using it. It's a progressive scan dvd player also and the picture quality via Component cables when it's set to Interlaced is better than Progressive again.. It's got to be my Tv.. Something in the settings... I've read all about it being able to upconvert and stuff, does it do that automatically? LoL I can't find any settings that do this.. All this stuff is very new to me but I can't figure out what's going on..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks