What's new

My New X-Files Set Covers are Damaged, is there a Way to get Replacements from FOX? (1 Viewer)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
OK, I am pretty upset over this. I recently purchased the X-Files box sets using my Christmas bonus money and a full additional paycheck. I was a huge fan of the show, but just couldn’t fit these sets into my budget until recently. I felt that the sets were grossly overpriced (and still do), so I waited a while to get them.

Well, I finally opened the sets yesterday. When I opened the shrink wrap, I found the covers to be in horrible condition; almost used-like. The edge corners on all the sets are smashed; the corners are horribly scraped, showing nothing but white. There are also really deep crease marks on spines (exposing more white). There are large, deep, and very noticeable scratches and creases on the front of the sets. There are also small holes on the back of the sets, like small puncture marks that partially rip the covers and make small marks on the sets underneath.

The sets themselves (after you remove the slip covers) are not in great shape, having crease marks and dings and scratches as well…but I can live with them. They are not as severe as the slip cover damage. Also, it’s also not just the packaging itself, but some of the booklets as well were damaged. The booklets are awkwardly creased, and wrinkled excessively…they almost look as if they are water damaged. Season 8’s book has a razor slice on the front cover that goes through the first three pages. It amazes me that all the sets suffer the same type of damage, just in different places. I assume they came from the same plant and suffered the same mistreatment.

I don’t mean to come off as anal, I mean…I can accept a few dings and scrapes on my DVD’s…that stuff just happens…that’s life. However, this is just ridiculous. I spent a lot of money on these sets and it’s just unfair and unacceptable that I have to keep them in this condition. They look horrible on my shelf as the spines look worn, scratched and show more white (from the paper being scraped) then actual image. This is not what I spent my hard earned cash on. I should be able to display these nicely, since they are new sets. If I wanted these sets in used condition, I would have bought them used and saved a ton of money.

Is there anyway I can get in touch with Fox Home Video and request replacement covers? I just want the slip covers themselves, I am not going to get greedy and ask for the full packaging. As I said, I can live with the sets outside of the slip covers (despite the fact that one of the sets has its disc holding cracked, making the disc fit loosely). However, I would really like to get my slip covers and a few of the booklets exchanged. Is this at all possible? I looked at Fox’s website, but saw no information regarding contacting customer service. So I figured I would ask you guys if you could give me any advice. I don’t think I am asking too much considering the money I spent on these. It is extremely frustrating and disappointing.

Thanks for reading my little rant. I appreciate any advice you guys could lend.

Sincerely,

Tom Brennan

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
Out of interest, where did you buy them from? The damage side of things sounds more like a store issue, rather than a studio issue. I know that I personally have had nothing resembling any of the problems you mentioned with my own sets....

Anyway, here's hoping that Fox can help you out with replacement packaging...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
nothing anal about wanting an intact, perfect cover-your own use will add enough damage to them in the future-no need to start out that way-these may have been long on the shelf sets, or at the bottom of the box of a large shipment and suffer "box" or "shelf" wear... im certain there must be a way.....FOX is a generally a consumer friendly company...

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
I got them from Best Buy. I pretty much opened them all at the same time, I was really excited to have them. To be honest, I couldn't see any "damage" before I opened them. The shrink wrap was thick, and concealed the damaged spots well. If I would have had any indication, I never would have opened them.

Anyway, like I said...all I really want is new slip covers, and a few booklets. That's not asking too much. I am trying to find some sort of contact for Fox; either an email address or phone number.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks