What's new

My new HT (advice/opinions?) (1 Viewer)

Well I am finally done with my HT...just wanted your opinions on my stuff. I have a Toshiba 50H81 HDTV, JVC SA70Bk DVD (progressive scan), Yamaha HTR-5450 receiver and Yamaha NSP610 speakers (5 channel). The Yamaha equipment came as a package ($700). I would like to know if any of you have the same equipment and any advice good or bad.....thanks!

Brian in Tacoma, WA

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Here's some advice, since you asked: Spend another $80 or so on two essential (in my opinion) accessories:

1. AVIA disk, for setting audio and video

2. Radio Shack sound-level meter

Good luck!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I second Marc's suggestions.
Also, if you haven't already done so, turn down the contrast on that Toshiba TV RIGHT NOW. Toshiba sets the contrast way too high at the factory, and you're risking burn-in.
After you've calibrated the TV with AVIA and used it for a month or so, spending the extra $$$ for an ISF calibration is well worth it.
M.

Thanks for the advice!

Where can I get that Avia DVD and why do you suggest the sound meter?

thanks,

Brian

I just turned the contrast onto Movie mode, which is a 50 on the contrast scale....is that good enough?

Also, I thought about an ISF....what is the usual cost on that? Thanks for the help!

Brian

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
A sound meter is essential for correctly balancing the levels in all 5 channels (6 if you have a subwoofer). AVIA provides test tones for this purpose, but you need the meter to measure the output. If I recall correctly, AVIA includes instructions on how to use the meter.

ISF calibrators charge a range of fees. Much depends on your location (New York is almost certainly more than Tacoma). Your best bet is to contact one or more calibrators and ask what they charge.

M.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
You can get the AVIA disc from lots of places, including Amazon or www.onecall.com.
The Radio Shack meter should be in any of their stores. There's an analog model and a digital model for $10 or so more. The analog model will do fine.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Re: ISF calibration. There is a very long and somewhat contentious thread in the Hardware Archive in which people debated the ins and outs of ISF calibration. As with so many things in life, there are radically different approaches and philosophies. If you don't mind a bit of information overload, you might find it interesting:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=26726
M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks