What's new

My Home Theater (so far) (1 Viewer)

Kevin George

Stunt Coordinator
jeff,
your theater is coming along nicely. any ideas as far as equipment goes? also, are you gonna go with projector or tv?
p.s the gs 400 is such a sweet ride. o to 60 in well under six seconds and 4 doors....a rocket in disguise.
good luck with your setup...post more pics would you as you make progress.

Jeff_Jergerian

Auditioning
Thanks for your comments. I bought the car slightly used last summer, and I still grin every time I get in it.
One of the links should take you to a page that shows all of the equipment that I either already have (or plan to get). The room will be a front projection setup with the Studio Experience 13HD, QuadscanHD scaler, and Stewart Grayhawk screen. The page at my site gives more detail about the rest of the equipment.
Let me know if the equipment link isn't working off of the main page.
Thanks,
jj
My Theater Page: "The Bunker"

Daniel_M

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

Just arrived home from Home depot with

a load of lumber for MY Home Theater

riser and was delighted to see the photo

of yours. So far all I've got is a not-to-

scale drawing in a notebook so it's nice

to see a photo of your finished product.

A few questions......

Mine will be 6 ft x 8ft using 2x8's.

Like you, I'll be putting a loveseat on

mine. I have envisioned 8 cross pieces

1 foot apart and I notice you have five.

Even given that mine is 2 feet longer, do

you think I'm over doing it with 8?

I notice you didn't put any horizontal braces

between your 2x8's (or are they 2x10's?)

Will there be enough lateral strength? My design

didn't have them either but the Home Depot guy

thought they might be a good idea.

You say you're putting insulation between the

boards, why is that?

I notice you didn't round of your plywood lip.

If I round mine off, do you think it will

make installing the carpet harder?

Thanks, your H.T. looks great.

Dan.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
Looking good.
I've just roughed in my HT area, it's about 12'8" x 30'.
I drew up plans on the computer to figure out where to place lights, the riser (which I think will be movable based upon someone elses suggestion) and the equipment.
HD sure has become my best friend of late.
I'll get some pics up soon myself. Keep sending pics, it gives me hope I'll get done someday :D
~Kurt

Jeff_Jergerian

Auditioning
Daniel M:
I had originally planned to build the riser myself, but since the contractors had all of the tools, etc, over for the framing, I figured it would be easier to have them build it for me. I told them what I planned to do with it, and the size I wanted. They were the ones that actually decided to space the wood as they did. Given the weight and stability of this box, though, I am completely confident that it will support a loveseat and two adults. The insulation will be used to deaden the sound. Once the bottom is put on it, it seems to me like it will just resonate any bass or other boomy noise. The insulation should help absorb that. I will also have carpet and padding on top to help with the sound as well. To be honest, I'm completely new to all of this. I have picked up all of my information from the various forums, and I've modeled everything in my room after things that I've seen in other people's rooms. I don't know what the best way will be to carpet the top of this. I plan to cut it beyond the lip of the top, fold it over, and then just staple it to the underside of the lip. At this point, I don't plan to carpet the base of the platform. I'll just paint that to match the rest of the room.
I don't have a lot of room for error, but I'm thinking that my plans should give me the result I'm looking for.
Thanks,
jj
My Home Theater: "The Bunker"

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Very, very nice Jeff! I think you're going to have a great theater once you're finished.

I have some questions on the rope lighting:

First, what specifically are you using for rope lighting? Where did you buy them and what was the cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Second, where will it plug into? Did you run some sort of outlet in the riser for it?

Third, I'm sure anyone looking to step up onto the riser from the floor will see the lighting, but how about someone already on the riser looking to step down; will they be able to see the lights if they're tucked just under the lip?

Lastly, do the floor lights negatively impact the quality of the picture if they're left on during a movie, or are they what is called "low-level" and have no effect whatsoever on picture quality?

I really like your plan for the equipment rack and media room; very slick.

Jeff_Jergerian

Auditioning
I bought a roll of rope lighting from Sam's Club a while back. I plan to plug this in to a lamp dimmer switch, which I will just manually control from the seating location. The riser will be right next to a wall outlet, so the whole thing can be plugged in without any awkward cord runs. I am assuming that this light can be used with a dimmer in this manner, but I'll do some more research first. The package doesn't indicate that it will be a problem. It was about $10 for a roll that was 24 feet long. I may have the length wrong, though, since I don't have the package handy right now.
If the lights are on, they should throw an adequate level of light down on the ground so that it is still safe. I haven't actually tested this out or seen it done in this manner. I actually came up with the idea of the lip on the riser because I wasn't sure how to make the rope light cut a corner cleanly when I wrapped it around the riser. By hiding it under a lip, I can bend it around the corner without people seeing the slight curve in the rope that will result. It also helps keep the rope safe from feet when people are climbing or descending the riser.
I am going to be using an LCD projector, which I have seen demoed in a room that was completely darkened (as mine will be), and in the same room with some lights left on. In both cases, the projector performed very well. I am thinking that the slight amount of light thrown off by the rope light will not do anything significant to degrade the picture. However, if I do find the light to be a problem, I should just be able to shut it down altogether with the dimmer switch while a movie is playing. If someone needs to get up for any reason, it can be flipped back on easily to accommodate them.
Thanks,
jj
My Home Theater: "The Bunker"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks