What's new

My head is going to explode! Help me decide on a 5.1 setup! (1 Viewer)

Arrgh! I'm looking around for my first HTF setup and have finally narrowed it down to two choices: either the Aperion Intimus 5.1 package with a 10 or 12 inch sub, or an Ascend package featuring CBM-170 fronts and center, HTM-200 rears, and a HSU VTF-2 sub. My living room is 15 feet by 13 feet...

I'm currently leaning towards the Ascends, but Aperion's free shipping definitely sounds nice. Anybody have an idea what shipping to NC for the Ascend package might cost?

I have a Philips 963SA and listen to a lot of classic jazz on SACD, so music is equally as important as HT to me. I appreciate any suggestions and advice you guys can offer...

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I own Ascends and help moderate the Ascend Forum.

I have heard the Aperions next to my CBM-170's almost a year ago...and I obviously preferred the Ascends.

Since Aperion pays for shipping even if you ship them back, get a pair of each and decide for yourself. The most you will be out is about $30 in shipping if you decide to ship CBM-170's back to California.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Curtis and I always post on the same threads and I greatly respect his opinions. I have also heard both speakers (indeed both sets you mentioned) side by side in my home. I ended up with the Aperions but please read my review below to find out why.

The Speakers:

I thought both speakers produce sound of more or less equal quality, much better then other systems in their price range. I thought the Aperions imaged a little better and had a more transparent sound stage, making them very slightly better for HT. I thought the Ascends had a richer and fuller mid-range making them better for 2 channel music. Of course, the Aperions look much nicer and have a better form factor (smaller).

The Subs: I compared the VTF-2 and the 10" Aperion sub and have since upgraded to the 12". Both companies make great subs. I think their 10" subs produce truly amazing subs for the price and size and they don't get enough credit. That being said, the Aperion sub blended a little better with the speakers do to what I think was a little tighter bass in the higher 60-80 hz range and of courese it too looks much nicer. Also, if you think you will want the truly low end performance then spend the extra 100 bucks and get the Aperion 12". Don't wait to upgrade later like I did. It will only cost you.

Conclusion: If you care about how the speakers look then get the Aperions. If you don't care how they look and listen to a lot of music on your system then get the Ascends. If your mainly HT and don't care how they look then flip a coin or go with price. Either way, I'd get the Aperion sub over the HSU. Especially since Ascend isn't really cutting you much of a deal on the sub in their package.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I also respect Brian's thoughts.

Brian....you may want to read Craig's latest comparison on HTS. He is comparing Aperion, Hsu, and Rocket subs. You can read it here.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Interesting review Curtis. What do you think about it? Also, does Ascend have anything new coming down the pipeline?

Leaving that rocket sub out of the mix for a minute (the review of that blew my mind), I am not totally surprised by the rest of it. I compared the VTF-2 to the Aperion 10" and it doesn't surprise me that the VTF-3 would hit a little harder then the Aperion 12" even though it sounds like they are very close. I didn't mention the VTF-3 in my post because I have never heard it and because it sounds like it might be out of Rich's price range.

Going back to the rocket sub for a second, seeing a good review of a sealed design makes me want to hear and read a review of an ACI sub (I did hear one briefly). They look great.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Well...I think I am with you on this one. I want to check out the Rocket sub for myself now. I know one person, that does not use the boards, that I trust as being unbiased that has experienced the Rocket sub and a VTF-2, says the Rocket subs is good for its size, but can not keep up with the VTF-2 in music/movies. So I am skeptical and do not know who to believe. Being skeptical is just my nature, so I have to hear it for myself.

The only thing that I know from Ascend is what has been mentioned in the Ascend Forum is a new wood veneer cabinet option by the end of the year. Currently, you can get them painted with semi-gloss automotive finishes as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks