What's new

My fullscreen DVD experience for the week. (1 Viewer)

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Yep, Rian, I did the same thing with the theatrical cut of Fellowship of the Ring. I took it back to Hastings, and they were nice about it and let me get a widescreen copy, no extra charge.

Glenn, I have to wonder about what kind of world this is going to be where someday, all humans may have perished, but cockroaches and fullscreen DVDs continue to survive, rotting in landfills and Wal-Marts for millennia. *shudder*

;)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Lesson well learned. You were pretty good about just walking out. Me, well I would have commented no need to get nasty, I mean, I'm not interested in your momma in a sexual way, and she should stop asking.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeremy,

it was a good try anyway. Just take comfort in knowing that he's the one getting f***ed. :D

It's guy's like him that have caused me to put that last line of wisdom in my signature below.

Foolscreen and pan and scammed releases never cease to piss me off, and I will take my hatred of them to the grave!

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
My recent fullscreen experience is very similar to yours. I just got post comment from a site visitor at Widescreen Advocate. I'm wondering if I should approve the comment, and then reply to it. The thing is, I don't know what to say to it. Anyone got any ideas?

Hmm. I wonder if that was Bernard Farber! HAHA

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

The "mistake" angle is probably better than starting off from a negative: "You know you're losing a lot of the picture with Full Screen, right?"

Perhaps something like, "Did you mean to pick-up the full screen version? I sometimes pick up full screen DVD's by accident myself since they're not always clearly marked. Once, I didn't realize until I got home. So I just wanted to save you a trip if you really meant to get widescreen which most people seem to prefer."

Then this will probably either lead to, "Yes, I want full screen," which means "my mind is made up, weirdo, back off!" Or possibly provide the opening for some sort of WS vs. FS discussion: "What's the difference?" "I don't have a widescreen TV so I can't play WS discs, right?" "I don't like losing so much of the picture to the black bars."

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
This discussion brings to mind a Wal-Mart experience of my own. Back when AI came to DVD, I received it as a Christmas gift. It was only when I popped the movie in the player that I realized it was the fullscreen version. I hadn't checked the packaging because it was inconceivable to me that the movie would be released that way or that anyone would purchase the fullscreen version. I took it to Wal-Mart to exchange for the widescreen version, since they have pretty generous exchange policies compared to other retailers. Imagine my surprise when the clerk told me that most people make the exchange in the other direction. I was thinking, "What kind of idiots do we have in the world?"

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor

knowing how nice people are to each other in our society, I'm very sure this has happened (not just about fullscreen DVDs)

Shea

Stunt Coordinator

A couple years ago after Christmas I did the same thing there, had a couple movies that were Fullscreen that I wanted to exchange for WS..and the clerk was surprised. Course, by the sound of this thread things have changed a lot since then. I know I've been to Blockbuster a few times and someone would ask an employee what the difference was and they gave the right info. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris_Colgan

Auditioning
I was at Canadian DVD/CD Store and a young teenage customer was going to buy a full screen dvd and the clerk ask why he was buy the full screen?

He said "What is the difference?"

Clerk said "Full Screen cut the picture out on the sides"

She hand him the Widescreen version of the DVD.

I wanted to give her a handshake, but I was saying to myself "WOW, the world is now change for the better"

I just recently, moved and had to find a new local DVD store, I found 2 local Convenience Stores that rents DVDs. They have great prices and is a 3 min walk from my apartment. The first time I visit both of them I saw the largest amount of Full Screen DVD I have ever seen.

They only carry a widescreen version if it is the only version.

I was so surprised that almost ever movie that has been released in the last year has a Full Screen version.

I asked them if they order them that way and the owner stated they have deal with a company that send them and does not give them choice. They asked me "What version do you like", I said "Widescreen, it is the only version"

Well as you can guess I only rent the widescreen dvd which they have less then 20 in a 200-300 library of titles.

I hate to say it but I visit Blockbuster to get the Widescreen version. It is very hard to find a Full Screen version of a New Releases in Blockbuster which is in contrast with their attitude about 4 years ago when they carried an equal amount of each version.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
How about this for a pick-up line (Oh crap, I don't believe I just said that!)

"Hey, did you notice that sometimes they have the fullscreen lettering in gold, and sometimes it is in silver?

They'll have to look, and you won't be making any judgments.

Glenn

EugeneR

Second Unit
I got the absolutely last WS copy of Star Wars at my local Best Buy on the day of release (because a kind soul waiting in line with his own WS version so me wondering lost and pointed to the last remaining copy hiding on a shelf). The FS rack was stuffed full. After I got my copy, I saw a bunch of people show up who wanted the WS copy and were asking the store employees whether there were any left. They were hanging out by the WS display case wishing that more WS copies would suddenly materialize. None of them picked up the FS copy; only saw one person take one the entire time I was in the store.:)

I really like the fact that they put the WS and FS sets in differently colored boxes to make it obvious (wish I knew that before I picked through half the FS rack looking for a WS copy :b )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks