What's new

My first Impressions (1 Viewer)

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
I finally did it!!! My sonosub is complete. The driver came in early this morning but I did't install it until after 7pm. I used about .25 thick x 3/8 wide closed cell foam around the outer edge of the sub and siliconed the inner part of the rim. I hooked each coil separately for the 8ohm load. Sealed her up and set it into my corner. I just used my Denon'2 2802 tones. My settings are +6L +7C +6R +1LR +1RR & finally set the sub +10. Now mind you I'm powering it with an older Technics receiver 85watts x 8ohms.(This sob is so hot in the coming winters I won't have to start my Alaska stoker stove to provide heat downstairs!!!)That's no word of a lie. First up was TPM my volume was at -13 kids were in the room. The intro was great, now the pod racing scene (the wife wouldn't let me turn it up any louder than that with the kids in the room). So she took them upstairs. Next up Titan A.E. at -10 on the opening chapter. OH MY!!! I'm amazed, now onto chapter 16 Ice Fields Now I'm really scared. Before on my setup I would bottom out in this chapter not now...It felt like every bone in my body was going to snap. And finally Saving Private Ryan DTS. "nuff said"
The one thing I have noticed is the receiver has a EQ on it and I have a bump around 50-63hz. I tried to tame it but it stands out(a bit boomy sometimes not much mind you). The power on the reciever is about 11 out of 20 on the dial so I guess it's about 50%. I have polyfill lined on the inside of the tube and about a foot long and 10" thick around the port. Check out my website for some pics. Thanks everyone for the help!!! I'm sure I'll have lots more questions later on!!!
http://frank18202.tripod.com/sonosub...ion/index.html

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The power on the reciever is about 11 out of 20 on the dial so I guess it's about 50%.
Don't be fooled by the volume dial. It is a VERY POOR indication of how much power you're using. It's just a gain control.

And its not even the only gain control in the system. Your 2802's volume level and subwoofer level controls will also adjust the gain of this signal. So at 11 out of 20 on the Technics you could be pushing 1 watt or 85 watts. There's no easy way to tell (although the heat would suggest you're closer to the latter).

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion regarding your Denon's speaker trim control settings... I would lower all the settings so that your left and right are "0", center is "+1", surrounds are "-5" and sub is "0" (not to be confused with LFE which should be kept at maximum unless your sub distorts). I spoke at length with a Denon tech a few years back in regards to my old AVR3200 and the numbers represented by the on-screen channel volume trim controls. "0" is supposed to be "unity gain". Several things can happen when you start adding "gain" above "unity gain". Distortion can increase and headroom can decrease. Regarding the sub volume it is my opinion that you should not increase the volume of the sub coming out of the receiver above "0" for the same reasons, and you should use the sub amp's own volume control to bring the sub in calibration with the other channels. Just a suggestion :)
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks