What's new

my dharman or my wife? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Sedlik

Auditioning
Dave wrote:
> ....contact Dan Wiggins at Adire Audio... what is your room configuration and where is the sub?...Any possibility of buying a returnable receiver at Sears so you can rule out the receiver?)....Does the manual have a section on bass management when using the dedicated s/w out connections?

David X

Stunt Coordinator
Well, that is a challenging room. I have a larger space, bigger ceilings (open, wood beam stuff), but I have carpeted floors and big window coverings on all my glass (most of the walls are glass), and my space is open on one of the long walls.
Have you tried the tech support email address at Adire Audio? The email address is [email protected]
If Dan's not around for some reason, somebody else should be able to help you. It's not like them not to get back to their customers quickly. When my Dharman arrived on Christmas eve, one of the grill feet was broken off the grill and stuck inside the grill foot hole on the enclosure. I emailed them, and they sent me a new grill right away (packed inside two pieces of plywood.) I dealt with Nancy Wiggins and they always got back to me right away when I sent email. I remember when I placed my order, I had to figure out how to get it shipped over to Kauai, so I had to call them and Dan answered the phone.
I don't know what they have at your local Sears, but I see that the Sears web site has some Yamaha gear .. there's an HTR-5460 on the web site. That would be fine for diagnostic purposes, and you can evaluate the Yamaha at the same time. (I wouldn't recommend that model as a replacement .. I don't think it has DPL-II, but that's another subject, plus it's probably not the best price .. but this will do for our purposes, right?) If they don't have that model, then get the next model up or down the Yamaha line, making sure it has a s/w out connection and the necessary inputs and outputs for this test and enough power to drive your speakers. When you get it, just do basic setup with it .. set all the speakers to small, s/w on, and leave everything else alone. Use the test tones to make sure everything is properly connected.
If they don't have any decent Yamaha models in stock, I think they may also carry the Kenwood VR509 also, but I didn't see it on the Sears web site. Obviously, I know more about Yamaha then Kenwood, but the Kenwood should be fine for this test also, and it's supposed to be a decent product. Any 5-channel receiver with DD/DTS and decent bass management will do. Just don't get another low end Sony. :)
BTW, what speakers do you have? Do you know the impedence ratings and resistance ratings and frequency response at the +-3db point for your speakers?
Also, just curious .. did you try the other s/w out jack on the receiver?
-David

Jeff Sedlik

Auditioning
DaveX wrote

>BTW, for the cable, you can use any decent shielded composite video coax cable for the subwoofer, so just go find yourself one with decent connectors (perhaps at radio shack?)

Front: Swan Diva 2.1 48hz-20khz

Center: Swan C3 68hz-20khz

Rear: Definitive in-wall uiw-55: 21-160hz

Sub: Dharman 21-160hz

DaveX wrote:

>Also, just curious .. did you try the other s/w out jack on the receiver?

David X

Stunt Coordinator
Nice front & center.

Personally, I wouldn't combine two cables. I think you might be better off buying the coax kit at Radio Shack and building your own cable.

Please keep us posted .. I'm curious about how this ends up working out for you.

-David

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I hear ya my friend. My wife and I had a good ole fashion stand off. Cats on her side. The sub and towers on mine. We chose to tolerate each other's stupid obsessions rather than.....;)
goodhome.jpg

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Steve, thats a hoot!:) :) If theres some extra gear that shakes out, Im interested otherwise I will pass on you and the cat:)

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
On this Sony I can separately adjust the frequency and level (+/- 10db)setting for each range: treble (1 khz-10khz), mid (500khz-5khz), and bass (100 khz-1hz), separately for each set of speakers(front, center, rear) but not s/w. I gather from what you are saying that if I set the bass at 90khz on the front speakers this will send the range of 90khz-100khz to the s/w and eliminate the midrange sound that comes from the s/w when I turn the s/w crossover all the way up?
I think this may be your problem. The Sony EQ does NOT determine which frequencies go to the sub. If you have your speakers set to small, the crossover is fixed at 120 HZ. What you may be doing is boosting the bass with EQ to make it boomy. Set all the EQ to -00 and see how it sounds. If you're still getting too much midrange set your front speakers to large.

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
BTW as previously mentioned, keep the crossover on the sub all the way up.

And with the Sony's high crossover point and your quality mains, you'll probably have a easier time blending that sub with the speakers set to LARGE.

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kyle
Just a quick reply here. I have the same receiver at home and the only time it sounds "boomy" is when the bass boost is "on" but I only have an 8in sub set at 80hz. Others that have replied have way more experience than I when it comes to sub mgmt. I'm more of a reader than a writer.:b

Jeff Sedlik

Auditioning
Bill Leber wrote:
>The Sony EQ does NOT determine which frequencies go to the sub. If you have your speakers set to small, the crossover is fixed at 120 HZ.

David X

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff .. for calibration and anytime you change any part of the configuration I would think that you want the Equalizer out of the way. Can it be turned off? If not, start with everything in neutral positions, as if you just powered up the receiver out of the box for the first time. Once you get all the speaker and sub levels calibrated properly with VE, Avia, etc and the sound meter and you do some real listening, you can do some minor tweeking with the EQ if you need it.

By setting all the speakers to 'small' and turning on the s/w output, the receiver should use it's internal 120Hz x-over and redirect everything around and under 120Hz to the subwoofer. (it's not a straight dropoff, it's more of a rolloff so the sound is blended around the x-over point.)

-David

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
Right. When set to small the Sony sends frequencies below 120 Hz that were originally meant for the front, center, rears to the sub, plus the LFE, or .1 channel. If set to large, only the LFE goes to the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks