When my Dharman POPS, does that mean I bottomed it out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jake T, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the Toy Story Box set and played TS2. Soon into chapter 2 (with Buzz flying through the mountains) my Dharman was POP POP POPPING.
    This is my first Sub. Did I bottom it out? I'm using an Onkyo 696 to drive Dynaudio 122 and the Dharman. Volume was up to 62 (Max is 80).
    When it wasn't popping, the damn couch shook. The bass was not over powering, but clear and punchy and had the rumble of his rocket.
    When I brought my wife downstairs to hear it.....she said she felt like she was in a movie theater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!To me, that's a HUGE compliment.
    Anyhow, is the Popping a bottoming out, or is there something else wrong?
    Thanks for listening [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Jake T
    --"The Things You Do In Life Echo In Eternity"
    [Edited last by Jake T on November 02, 2001 at 11:29 PM]

2. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?
    ------------------
    Jake T

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Yeah, it means the sub is being asked to play at high SPLs a frequency under its tuning frequency. I'd figure out a way to calibrate your sub, give it some headroom, and you'll alleviate almost all pops like that. But bear in mind that Toy Story 2's opening sequence is a sub-killer.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jake,
    The numbers on your reciever mean nearly nothing by themselves. Get on down to Radio Shack if you don't already have an SPL meter, and do a calibration of your sub. As mentioned that scene is a sub-killer, even for a good sub like the Dharman. If you are calibrated "hot" (and I suspect you are), then the bottoming will happen.
    Turn your subwoofer level down until that noise stops (when listening at the master volume level you are typically going to use). If that's less bass than you would like, then exeriment with the sub's placement, or add a second sub. Big rooms demand bigger, or more, subs. It's just a matter of physics.
    Here's just a bit on the SPL meter, and why it's important:
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faqs.htm#meter
    Ron

5. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Jake,
    It may be bottoming, or amp clipping. However, as Jeffrey Forner posted over at HTT, Toy Story 2 is a "sub killer" track, able to bottom pretty much any sub, including his SVS units.
    You have 3 basic options:
    1. Turn down the volume
    2. Engage a limiter (if your receiver has one)
    3. More subs
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

6. Jake T

Jake T Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys,
    Like I said in my post, this is my first sub. I have'nt sat down and calibrated it yet. I'll do so today and hopefully it will eliminate the noise.
    I usually don't listen to it as loud as I did so It probably won't happen again.
    Thanks again.
    Jake [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Jake T