What's new

Hsu VTF-3 Twelve Inch Driver? (1 Viewer)

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone happen to know what drivers the Hsu subwoofers use? Or if not the exact brand, something comparable?
My Wife really isn't too crazy about the SVS tube look and I'm trying to find a cube sub that will be comparable (under a thousand bucks). Does such a thing exist? As far as I can tell the new Hsu VTF-3 and the Adire Dharman seem like they might be close in performance?
Any thoughts on either of these two subs? I realize this isn't a DIY type question, but I figured since most of you guys don't own either product you would probably be more unbiased than those who do. I also figured if anyone would be able to give an educated guess on performance, you guys would. :)
Any thoughts or impressions would be greatly appreciated...

Cam S

Screenwriter
The Adire Dharman is cheaper than the VTF-3, so I would really have a hard look at it.

Rudy H

Stunt Coordinator
The Shiva driver in the Dharman has more excursion capability than the Hsu's, so I'm willing to be it would go louder and handle loud transients better as well.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I think the VTF-3 has a new driver that might have more excursion than the Shiva. And it looked like it had two 4" ports as opposed to the two 3" ports on the Dharman. The Dharman, I think, would perform similarly to an SVS 25-31PCi with one port plugged. The VTF-3 looks like it's a little above those two but the Dharman and SVS are currently the 'hot ticket' values at ~$550.
Edit: The Shiva has a linear one way excursion of 15.8mm. The original SVS driver had about 14mm and the new 'improved standard driver' has 20-25% or so more, putting it at 17mm or so. I think the Hsu 1202 driver is around there too. They're all similar. Wait and see what the VTF-3 looks like then decide what you're willing to pay for. Of course, you could DIY. I'm sure you wouldn't mind having a Blueprint 1503. :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Micheal remember that the VTF2 and VTF3 have a max extension mode (one port plugged) and max output mode (both ports open).

On the VTF2 if you used both ports it was tuned too high. Don't know if that is the case or not with the VTF3. However, two 3" ports do have more surface area than a single 4" port.

My understanding was that the original SVS driver has a Vd of around 1.1-1.2L. The SVS ISD driver is some where around 1.4-1.6L The Hsu 1202 driver is 1.3L. The Shiva and Datyon DVC12" are both just over 1.5L.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
So it sounds like of the "boxed subs" that are available commercially, the Dharmans and the VTF-3's are about in the same league as the SVS 20-39? I can get a pretty good deal on the Hsu through AV123 because they knock a big chunk off the price when you buy a Diva pkg. from them (I just ordered two pairs of 6.1's and a C3).

Mainly, I just want something that can be in the same league as the SVS that are here now. I think they are great. They aren't *quite* as musical as I'd hoped they'd be, but man, they sure have some slam for Movies. My Wife isn't that crazy about the looks so that's why I'm trying to see what's out there in a box shape that might be comparable. Any other suggestions or thoughts are very welcome.

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
Hsu makes their own drivers, so it isn't a blueprint 1202. The 1202 has DVC, but not as much excursion as the new 1201.

Alexis

Stunt Coordinator
Also the PCi series from SVS only has a single port so you can't just plug it. The CS+ series has the tri-port config.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
The VTF-3 should be a major improvement over the VTF-2. It should play noticeably louder and lower than a VTF-2. And the VTF-2 has tested very well in the past. Apparently it will have even more output in max output mode (but less extension) than a TN1220HO.

According to their website, the VTF-3 in max extension mode will extend down to 18Hz (+/- 2db). In max output mode, it is said to extend down to 22Hz.

Barry, I don't think that you should be concerned about the performance of the VTF-3. Call up Dr. Hsu when you get it, and he can give you placement advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks