What's new

My accidental entry into the world of FP (1 Viewer)

I’ve read countless people here giving the advice, “don’t get that expensive new TV... get a projector!” I typically dismissed it. Don’t know why but I just did. I like my TV... it’s just what I’m used to.

Without going into a lot of detail, our Dell sales rep cut us a deal on their 2200MP DLP projectors. I had the opportunity to get one for $400, brand new. So I figured what the hell.

It arrived yesterday. I brought a DVD player and a couple of movies in from home and we hooked everything in our training room at work and projected the image up on a giant white board. We connected it using the included component-to-VGA adapter and played Braveheart.

WOW!

That was kind of the consensus of the dozens of people who passed through there yesterday. The thing was selling itself. I don’t think there was a single person who saw it who wasn’t ready to buy... (of course, they couldn’t get the same deal my two co-workers and I got, but they wanted one anyway.)

I shot the image up on a wall last night when I got home and ended up watching two movies with the audio running through the crappy little speaker in the projector. So this morning I ordered a screen, an extra long component cable, and a ceiling mount. I can’t wait to get this puppy hooked into my main HT system.

Now I know this is a low-end projector and that I don’t quite have the eye for precise detail the many of you guys do, but I do have to say I am extremely pleased. The black levels were good and colors were very rich and vibrant. I did see some of the infamous “rainbows” but they were minimal and not distracting at all... pretty much a non issue. Had I known how cool this thing was, I would have gladly paid full price for one.

I still like my TV for sports and stuff, but for DVDs, I’m a total convert. It’s going to seem like an eternity waiting for that damn screen to arrive!

-Bill

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Congratulations and welcome to the REAL world of home theater. The size and impact of a front projection image is something most people stop themselves from ever getting to enjoy. Once that leap is made, you're free of the mental shackles most people wear.

Winfred.S

Agent
My work has a projector they're using for presentations. Being an HT nut I set up our conference room with speakers and sub from one of our computers and brought in a laptop with a DVD player and popped in Matrix and Toy Story 2.

Two of my co-workers are hooked and are asking me to help them set up their FP.

Enjoy your new toy :)

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to remove my shackles, but am limited by a living room designed for anything BUT home theater. Two story ceilings and 7 huge windows... What was I thinking?

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
My kids like to invite their friends over for pajama parties and watch the latest Disney films on the big screen.
I guess I've affected the next generation in a small way.

Yep! I think my perceived complexity of projectors is what truly held me back. Truth is, there's nothing to it.

Of course having our Dell rep trying to unload these things at a ridiculous price didn't hurt either.

I found out my screen ships tommorrow. I'll post some more impressions when I get everything hooked up.

-Bill

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
------- I would love to remove my shackles, but am limited by a living room designed for anything BUT home theater. Two story ceilings and 7 huge windows... What was I thinking? -----

Here is where 90% of people turn off their brains and outright reject the idea of front projection. Their windows are too big. There isn't enough room for the system. No you don't need a cave to use front projection. It also doesn't take up any floor space.

Even in your situation and without light tight window coverings you can use front projection. It won't be a replacement for every day TV viewing, but NIGHT TIME viewing can be done even with completely open, huge windows. Yes, the sun does go down unless you are in the polar regions. Winter, with its longer nights is great home theater season. It lengthens the time for front projection use when it's cold outside. During the summer, go play outside when it's light! Watch films at night.

Front projection takes zero floor space and is the only way to get that home cinema sensation of a really large picture, not just a little 60 inche diagonal. The equipment is also a lot easier to move than an RPTV or plasma.

There WAS a time when front projection was exceedingly difficult to execute. CRT front projection required a very big, heavy beast that required hours and hours of a skilled technician's time to set up. Today's digital projectors deliver an enjoyable image with units that a child can carry. Setup is much simpler now. The imaging congentii will take more time doing the setup and calibration, but getting a watchable and enjoyable picture that will delight most people is so much more doable now.

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
I was in almost exactly the same situation and my wife was totally against it. Then a demo at the home theater cruise softened up the hard stance. Then an amazing opportunity to get a HD Projector. And we have been saying WOW ever since. The we had a Superbowl party and all everyone could say was WOW. Between the projector, game and half-time show it was just amazing. Enjoy. And I also have a really nice TV but can guarantee we will never be without a projector again if we can help it.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
----- Guess I know what I'm doing tonight ------

Accidentally putting a hole through the fabric due to excitement?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks