What's new

my 3802 is very warm running 3 channels! (1 Viewer)

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 3802 w/ a POA 5200 running the front 2 channels and I've noticed that at playing it at -30 (calibrated to 75 db ref) for about 2 hours, the reciever got pretty warm...meanwhile the 5200 amp is cool as ice. Do i have a defective 3802? Or does anybody elses 3802 get significantly warm whilst playing.

By the way i'm running it to speakers w a sensivity of 89 and 8ohm load.

Salvador

Second Unit
i have the 3802 powering a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's. After playing them at around -20db the receiver does get warm. Namely the toroidal transformer but more so with the heatsinks on he right side.
When no one is around i usually listen to music at 05db and the 3802 doesn't get excessively hot after about an hour of listening. Probably 5 degrees hotter but nothing to get alarmed about. As a fringe benefit, it heats my room well during these winter months;)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Jason: In general, receivers always run warmer than separate amps. Probably the biggest reason is that receiver heat sinks are smaller and a great deal more "closed in" by the outer cover. (Of course, there are some separate amps that are biased as class A operating mode. Those amps are like heaters!)
Also, FWIW, I've owned several trouble-free Denon receivers and they all run on the warm side.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,I would think that you have nothing to be concerned with.High-Current receivers such as your tend to run warm and actually quite warm the more you "push" them.If this still concerns you,send an email to Denon and ask them what should their operating temperature be.I believe that you would be in the allowable limits.If your receiver shuts off during operation,due to the heat,then you would have adefective unit.I own the Harman Kardon AVR 510 and I was having similar headaches until I talked to someone at H/K who re-assured me that everything was OK.Regards...

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
wow..i hear a lot of problems with the Denon 3802 running warm. I play mine at -06 for about 2 hours at a time (2 full albums or so) and it runs just fine. I think its the best purchase ive ever made. I never did any kind of calibration (my speakers will be upgraded within the next couple months), and it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks