What's new

MX-500 owners - how did you teach it discrete codes? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i've been using my mx-500 for probably a year now, but i've never gotten around to teaching it the discrete codes. i figure it's about time.

i believe the easiest method is to purchase another remote that has the discrete codes and have my mx-500 learn it?

if so, does anyone have specific brand & model info?

hopefully i won't have to spend a lot of money on an additional remote...of course i could just "rent it" from the store. ;)

or, if there is another way i would love to know that too.

thx,

ted

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
I'd look at the last few posts in this thread-- especially the web sites referenced therein. It was near the top of the list when you started this new thread.

Me

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx tim - i already checked that one out. didn't really have what i was lookin' for.

he's talking more about the ir-learning-thing-a-ma-jig. i was hoping for a less expensive learn-from-another-remote type option.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
i already checked that one out. didn't really have what i was lookin' for
Actually it does. The MX-500 was designed to be a learning remote; the only "official" way to teach it new codes is by having it learn from other remotes. However, the links in the thread listed above are to workarounds (for which you have to buy additional hardware and software) that allow you to use a PC interface to program the MX-500 and then transfer the contents to the remote.

Those are your two choices.

M.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Ted, start here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/

If you want discrete codes there are links as well. The forums at remotecentral are excellent as you have seen.

The simplest method is get a remote that accepts discrete codes (as you have found a lot of One For All and Radio Shack units) then learn the codes into the MX500. If you want to get more into it, get a remote with a JP1 connector and you can cable it to your PC and program it that way, then learn the codes to the MX500.

Join the Yahoo JP1 group for info and lots of the files you will require if you decide to continue into JP1.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx paul -

i'm definitely thinking that learning the codes from another remote will be the easiest way to go for now.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks