What's new

Musicals appropriate for 5 y/o (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Another vote for "The Sound of Music". One of my favorites ever since I was about six.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I'm actually baffled we've gotten this many responses without one mention of "Grease"!

My other favorites (all child appropriate) would be:

-"Oliver!" (1968 Oscar for Best Picture)
-"The Sound of Music"
-"Mary Poppins"
-"The Music Man"
-"Doctor Doolittle" (1967 one w/Rex Harrison)
-"Bedkobs & Broomsticks" (a lot like "Mary Poppins")
-"Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" (they finally released this in widescreen, right?)
-"Annie"
-"The Muppet Movie"
-"The Wizard of Oz"

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Mary Poppins
The Wiz

Not widescreen, but...
Mrs. Santa Claus 1996 tv-movie starring Angela Lansbury, with music by Jerry Herman.

LarryE

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys. I took your advice, and my 5 y/o, and 2 y/o watched Singin' In The Rain, and we LOVED! it. I can't believe how athletic Gene Kelly, and his fellow dance partners were. Amazing, with great tunes. Thanks again. I will get to several on this list.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
I do remember watching West Side Story ad infinitum as a kid, and there's a great box set of this now available.

Any of the old Disney musicals would probably be a good pick for a five year old - the big question is whether you can find them. Such as:

The Happiest Millionaire
The One and Only, Genuine Original Family Band
Summer Magic
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Mary Poppins

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
GREASE? For kids? Have you watched GREASE lately? Rizzo has an abortion and the song "Greased Lightning" is full of sexual lyrics. GREASE is most definitely not for kids. That being said, you let your kids watch whatever you feel is appropriate. I'm not one for telling parents how to raise their children.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
This may be completely off the wall, but a friend of mine has a son who at age 5 or so was completely obsessed by the musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie." I don't know the musical myself, but he absolutely loved this video and watched it over and over. So, it might have appeal for other kids of this age as well.
(Of course, this was the child who at 15 months watched "Moonstruck" three times in one afernoon when I was babysitting for him. I shouldn't have let him do this, clearly, but I was fascinated by how completely transfixed he was by this very not-for-children movie and he got pretty upset if I refused to let him watch it. He has always had a taste for the unusual.)

Deborah

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
GREASE? For kids? Have you watched GREASE lately? Rizzo has an abortion and the song "Greased Lightning" is full of sexual lyrics. GREASE is most definitely not for kids. That being said, you let your kids watch whatever you feel is appropriate. I'm not one for telling parents how to raise their children.
I too was quite surprised by this recommendation. Jeez, I was 12 or 13 when Grease came out and my mother wouldn't let me see it then because of the "moon" shots and the adult themes. Times sure have changed . . .

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Grease is completely inappropriate for a five year old. I'd even say that Chicago is inappropriate for a five year old due to subject matter.

I'm not a big fan of the Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals (once you play in a pit orchestra for one of these you'll either love them forever or have nightmares about them) but the content may be appropriate, especially since the movie versions were sanitized for the 50s audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks