What's new

Muscle twitch (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
We all get them now and then, but I've had one in my left eye that has been recurring for the past 4 days. What causes this and am I developing some kind of medical condition? :frowning:
Also, is there a medical term for this? I'd like to do some research on the 'net.
Thanks!
Mike D.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
yeah, sometimes my index finger twitches, and so do some other parts of my body. i haven't had any in awhile, so i can't recall which ones they were. they get me worried a little bit, ... holy crap, i just had a twitch, what do ya know. :) muscle around my left kneecap. i'd like info as well, if there is anything i need to worry about. thanks!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I think twitches come from stress... I know I have them (in my right eye) when I know I am going to have to speak/act in front of a large audience.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Some, but not all, are stress induced. I often get them in my right leg because of extensive damage I suffered to my right knee when I was a kid.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I had twitches in my right eye for 3 days straight, which were the last 3 days of my trip in Saskatoon. I'm sure the twitches were stress related cuz I was really sad having to leave my girl :frowning:

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I remember taking this in Biology in High School. It was interesting cause I used to get them frequently as a teen and into my early 20s but not so much now.

I think its something like theres an acid build up in your muscles (thats why our muscles get tired) and with rest the acid is able to clear out. When you twitch its your muscle clearing out the acid. I know that doesn't make much sense but its something to that effect.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Well today I've been twitch free :) Can't say I've been stressed over anything lately... who knows...
Mike D.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
It is called myokemia caused mostly by 2 things, eyestrain or lowered body resistance. Either u'll need to back off watching too many movies, playing video games, etc. or u'r not gettting enuff sleep, not enuff good food, etc. U get the picture..so shape!:D

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think its something like theres an acid build up in your muscles (thats why our muscles get tired)
and with rest the acid is able to clear out. When you twitch its your muscle clearing out the acid.
I know that doesn't make much sense but its something to that effect.
You mean lactic acid Michael? Supposedly, bananas or anything high in Potassium is supposed to be good at getting lactic acid away from the muscles, which is why bananas are good for long bike trips and centuries and stuff. Besides the fact that they're easy to eat while riding and stuff.

Jay

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
playing video games, etc. or u'r not gettting enuff sleep
Well there's my problem... the beggining to the week I could not put down Hitman2 for the Xbox, and I never get enough sleep. Oh, and since I'm in IT I sit in front of a PC all day. I need to take some breaks at looking at screens all day :) I use to get those breaks through cigarettes, and since I quit, it could expain it.
Mike D.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I use to get those breaks through cigarettes, and since I quit, it could expain it.
Still take your brakes just dont smoke. Some of my co-workers and my boss give me a hard time because even though I dont smoke I still take breaks throughout the day. Hey you need a brake just as much as smokers just take a short walk or go talk with a co-worker for a bit before sitting down in front of the computer again.

The eye twitching is usually a sign of Fatigue sp? but when other muscles twitch it can be a sign of nutritional problems. Try taking a Multi-vitamin and see if it helps since you might not be getting all that you need from the foods you are eating.

KyleS

Micah Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
When I was going through my divorce a few years ago I developed a tic in left eyelid. It lasted, off and on, for over a month. Man, was that aggravating. Occasionally, I still get it when I'm under a great deal of stress.
More info.
Wow, there are even support groups (see the bottom).

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Yep Jay Lactic acid thats it. I would be very surprised if diet/nutrition has something to do with it (unless its one particular vitamin) for if that was the case my whole body should be twitching (refer to former thread "my weekend of eating fast food"). Ugh.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
A twitch is sometimes a form of epilepsy, known as petite mau, (hope I spelled it correctly) and can be triggered by stress or fatigue. Don't worry about it as some stats I read somewhere related that 30% of the population have a form of epilepsy and the vast majority don't even know it.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Its petit mal, occuuring in kids and usually just present as blank stares. Generalized "twitching" or convulsions is grand mal....bet anyone can see that a mile away......flashing lights like those inside strip clubs can trigger an attack but life's common stresses are also suspect.

Bob Partovi

Stunt Coordinator
your muscles move when your nerve receptors receive andneurotransmitter that acts on that specific receptor telling it how to act. Once it's through it will be released by the receptor and go back to the original nerve to be destroyed usually. Occassionally it might linger in the empty area between the two nerves, called a synapse, or it might not be "eaten" up at all. It's a very common thing and happens on a large to small scale often.

DeT

Agent
Here is another thought

Some people from my old country believe that a muscle twitch on the left or right eye, I can't remember which will bring you good luck, the other is the bad luck. As I said before, I can't remember which eye is good and which is bad.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"your muscles move when your nerve receptors receive andneurotransmitter that acts on that specific receptor telling it how to act.

Kind of like when I'm nearly asleep, I dream I'm playing baseball and my hand actually moves a few inches to catch the ball.

Brent

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I think I remember my mom always telling me a twitch in the left eye is supposed to bring you money..
Well that's good! I survived another week in my suicide football league, so maybe my twitch is telling me I'll be the winner! ;)
Mike D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks