Muscle twitch

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike__D, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

We all get them now and then, but I've had one in my left eye that has been recurring for the past 4 days. What causes this and am I developing some kind of medical condition? [​IMG]
    Also, is there a medical term for this? I'd like to do some research on the 'net.
    Thanks!
    Mike D.

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

yeah, sometimes my index finger twitches, and so do some other parts of my body. i haven't had any in awhile, so i can't recall which ones they were. they get me worried a little bit, ... holy crap, i just had a twitch, what do ya know. [​IMG] muscle around my left kneecap. i'd like info as well, if there is anything i need to worry about. thanks!

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I think twitches come from stress... I know I have them (in my right eye) when I know I am going to have to speak/act in front of a large audience.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Some, but not all, are stress induced. I often get them in my right leg because of extensive damage I suffered to my right knee when I was a kid.

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I had twitches in my right eye for 3 days straight, which were the last 3 days of my trip in Saskatoon. I'm sure the twitches were stress related cuz I was really sad having to leave my girl [​IMG]

6. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I remember taking this in Biology in High School. It was interesting cause I used to get them frequently as a teen and into my early 20s but not so much now.

I think its something like theres an acid build up in your muscles (thats why our muscles get tired) and with rest the acid is able to clear out. When you twitch its your muscle clearing out the acid. I know that doesn't make much sense but its something to that effect.

7. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Well today I've been twitch free [​IMG] Can't say I've been stressed over anything lately... who knows...
    Mike D.

8. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

It is called myokemia caused mostly by 2 things, eyestrain or lowered body resistance. Either u'll need to back off watching too many movies, playing video games, etc. or u'r not gettting enuff sleep, not enuff good food, etc. U get the picture..so shape![​IMG]

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

10. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

11. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

12. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

When I was going through my divorce a few years ago I developed a tic in left eyelid. It lasted, off and on, for over a month. Man, was that aggravating. Occasionally, I still get it when I'm under a great deal of stress.
    More info.
    Wow, there are even support groups (see the bottom).

13. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Yep Jay Lactic acid thats it. I would be very surprised if diet/nutrition has something to do with it (unless its one particular vitamin) for if that was the case my whole body should be twitching (refer to former thread "my weekend of eating fast food"). Ugh.

14. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

A twitch is sometimes a form of epilepsy, known as petite mau, (hope I spelled it correctly) and can be triggered by stress or fatigue. Don't worry about it as some stats I read somewhere related that 30% of the population have a form of epilepsy and the vast majority don't even know it.

15. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Its petit mal, occuuring in kids and usually just present as blank stares. Generalized "twitching" or convulsions is grand mal....bet anyone can see that a mile away......flashing lights like those inside strip clubs can trigger an attack but life's common stresses are also suspect.

16. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

your muscles move when your nerve receptors receive andneurotransmitter that acts on that specific receptor telling it how to act. Once it's through it will be released by the receptor and go back to the original nerve to be destroyed usually. Occassionally it might linger in the empty area between the two nerves, called a synapse, or it might not be "eaten" up at all. It's a very common thing and happens on a large to small scale often.

17. DeT

DeT Agent

Here is another thought

Some people from my old country believe that a muscle twitch on the left or right eye, I can't remember which will bring you good luck, the other is the bad luck. As I said before, I can't remember which eye is good and which is bad.

18. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I think I remember my mom always telling me a twitch in the left eye is supposed to bring you money.. [​IMG]
    Jay

19. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"your muscles move when your nerve receptors receive andneurotransmitter that acts on that specific receptor telling it how to act.

Kind of like when I'm nearly asleep, I dream I'm playing baseball and my hand actually moves a few inches to catch the ball.

Brent

20. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor