Mummy Returns sales: The Winner Is......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronMK, Oct 18, 2001.

1. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
  2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I wonder if that takes returns into account - you know, people who mistakenly bought the p&s version and then exchanged it. I'm thinking that those exchanges are simply sent back to the distributor as defective discs.

3. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

I've been to some stores that stocked only the pan & scan version, so I think that it is amazing the widescreen version won at all. It seems that retailers are skewing the numbers by refusing to stock the widescreen version. My local Blockbuster and Hollywood video stores have only the pan & scan version too.

4. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

I was one of those who didn't realize I bought a pan & scan disc until I put it on. Man, that ticked me off. The widescreen or pan & scan should be plainy written on the front, not buried in the info on the back. I found no widescreen versions when I went back either. (Walmart) Why would you only order pan & scan? No one there could answer the question. Obviously who ever does the ordering isn't up on the situation.

5. Myram

Myram Second Unit

My local Walmart had both versions, but they were mixed together in the display unit. You had to really look at what you were grabbing before you knew which one you had.
    I try to buy all widescreen versions, because I know down the road a bit I am going to have a widescreen 16:9 HDTV and I am not going to want to re-purchase all my DVD's again.
    ------------------
    Home Theater Page

6. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Plus many of those Pan and Scan tapes where sold to Blockbuster

7. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

When I bought mine(at Wallmart) I didn't even realize there were two versions. I picked one up, and then looked around for a few minutes. A couple came in, and they saw it. Immidiately, the wife said "make sure you don't get the widescreen one, I hate those" The husband told her what widescreen was, and she replied "I know, but I didn't pay for half a TV, did I?" Poor guy had to buy the fullscreen version. Lucky, though, cause I looked down at mine, and it was fullscreen. So, I put it back and I grabbed the right one. It was close though [​IMG] Most people know the difference, they just don't care.

8. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

I see the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon DVD is #1 Year-to-date on the list.
    Maybe it's because they hit me up for the January Region 3 Release, the May Region 1 release, and now the October "SuperBit" release. [​IMG]
    Keep buying those WS!!!!!

9. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Tim,
    It does. It's like in accounting, where you have credits and debits that have to match. Same sort of tracking.
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Up yours, pan & scan!

11. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

12. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

13. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

[​IMG] pan & scan!
    ------------------
    My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
    1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

14. LawrenceZ

LawrenceZ Stunt Coordinator

I noticed a couple of days ago that a Future Shop close to my house is selling both versions, ws and p&s, this was the first time I saw the p&s version.
    People are complaining that they can't see a difference and accidentally buying the p&s version, but side by side it's obvious that there are 2 different versions. The ws has gold boarders at the top and bottom of the case and the p&s version has black boarders.
    Is it possible that the Canadian version has this difference in packaging and not the American? Has the packaging been changed to be more obvious? Or are people just not that observant when they look at the shelf?

15. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I already have two Mummy DVDs on my shelf...the original and the Ultimate. I'm not doing that again. I saw the Mummy Returns in P&S courtesy of a Blockbuster rental. It was a good movie, but having just seen it, I don't need to buy it so soon that I can't wait for whatever improved Ulimate edition they come out with in another year. Nope, I'm not getting stuck with two Mummy Returns on my shelf. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    [​IMG]
    Join our [email protected] Team! (Click here for more info.)
    Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

16. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Well, Matt, you just ruined my optimism [​IMG]
    Seriously, I didn't know if the studios figured these returns as defective discs or just people buying the wrong one.

17. Chad Varnadore

Chad Varnadore Auditioning

18. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

19. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I hate to be the "Glass is half full" guy, but perhaps this should show studios that there is a market for both. I don't care if there is a pan and scan version out as long as I can get my widescreen.
    We just have to remeber to be more careful about which copy we're picking up.
    ------------------
    "This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
    My Extensive DVD collection.

20. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    Quote:
    ---------------------------
    What are these idiots gonna do when the widescreen TVs become cheap and mainstream? buy all their p&s DVDs in widescreen?
    ---------------------------
    They will probably zoom the movie to fill up the screen so that all that's visible is someone's naval.