What's new

Mummy Returns sales: The Winner Is...... (1 Viewer)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I wonder if that takes returns into account - you know, people who mistakenly bought the p&s version and then exchanged it. I'm thinking that those exchanges are simply sent back to the distributor as defective discs.

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
I've been to some stores that stocked only the pan & scan version, so I think that it is amazing the widescreen version won at all. It seems that retailers are skewing the numbers by refusing to stock the widescreen version. My local Blockbuster and Hollywood video stores have only the pan & scan version too.

Bob Saylor

Stunt Coordinator
I was one of those who didn't realize I bought a pan & scan disc until I put it on. Man, that ticked me off. The widescreen or pan & scan should be plainy written on the front, not buried in the info on the back. I found no widescreen versions when I went back either. (Walmart) Why would you only order pan & scan? No one there could answer the question. Obviously who ever does the ordering isn't up on the situation.

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
My local Walmart had both versions, but they were mixed together in the display unit. You had to really look at what you were grabbing before you knew which one you had.
I try to buy all widescreen versions, because I know down the road a bit I am going to have a widescreen 16:9 HDTV and I am not going to want to re-purchase all my DVD's again.
------------------
Home Theater Page

Shad R

Supporting Actor
When I bought mine(at Wallmart) I didn't even realize there were two versions. I picked one up, and then looked around for a few minutes. A couple came in, and they saw it. Immidiately, the wife said "make sure you don't get the widescreen one, I hate those" The husband told her what widescreen was, and she replied "I know, but I didn't pay for half a TV, did I?" Poor guy had to buy the fullscreen version. Lucky, though, cause I looked down at mine, and it was fullscreen. So, I put it back and I grabbed the right one. It was close though
frown.gif
Most people know the difference, they just don't care.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I see the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon DVD is #1 Year-to-date on the list.
Maybe it's because they hit me up for the January Region 3 Release, the May Region 1 release, and now the October "SuperBit" release.
smile.gif

Keep buying those WS!!!!!

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Tim,
It does. It's like in accounting, where you have credits and debits that have to match. Same sort of tracking.
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I try to buy all widescreen versions, because I know down the road a bit I am going to have a widescreen 16:9 HDTV and I am not going to want to re-purchase all my DVD's again.
Ah, young Jedi, you have much to learn. The shape of the TV is not the reason why we buy movies in OAR.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Most people know the difference, they just don't care.
Indeed. A friend of mine said the same kind of thing when I tried to explain why widescreen exists to her.
What are these idiots gonna do when the widescreen TVs become cheap and mainstream? buy all their p&s DVDs in widescreen? that'd be quite expensive if they have lots and they might even need some that are not even in print anymore. plus, they'd be giving the studios more money so they can whip out a few bad movies.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
tongue.gif
pan & scan!
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

LawrenceZ

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed a couple of days ago that a Future Shop close to my house is selling both versions, ws and p&s, this was the first time I saw the p&s version.
People are complaining that they can't see a difference and accidentally buying the p&s version, but side by side it's obvious that there are 2 different versions. The ws has gold boarders at the top and bottom of the case and the p&s version has black boarders.
Is it possible that the Canadian version has this difference in packaging and not the American? Has the packaging been changed to be more obvious? Or are people just not that observant when they look at the shelf?

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I already have two Mummy DVDs on my shelf...the original and the Ultimate. I'm not doing that again. I saw the Mummy Returns in P&S courtesy of a Blockbuster rental. It was a good movie, but having just seen it, I don't need to buy it so soon that I can't wait for whatever improved Ulimate edition they come out with in another year. Nope, I'm not getting stuck with two Mummy Returns on my shelf.
smile.gif

------------------
-Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
jjr512-genome-logo1.jpg

Join our Genome@home Team! (Click here for more info.)
Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Well, Matt, you just ruined my optimism
smile.gif

Seriously, I didn't know if the studios figured these returns as defective discs or just people buying the wrong one.

Chad Varnadore

Auditioning
People are complaining that they can't see a difference and accidentally buying the p&s version, but side by side it's obvious that there are 2 different versions. The ws has gold boarders at the top and bottom of the case and the p&s version has black boarders.
Is it possible that the Canadian version has this difference in packaging and not the American?
The US release looks the same. Black borders with Fullscreen printed in one of the black bars, and gold borders with widscreen printed in the bottom bar. They also indicate widescreen or fullscreen on the security label at the top of the disc, I believe.
Chad

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
The widescreen or pan & scan should be plainy written on the front
Actually, in this case, it was. Right at the bottom on the front cover, it said either "Fullscreen" or "Widescreen". My problem was that the boxes they are put in for Costco COVERED UP that lettering. I just assumed it was widescreen; I've yet to see Costco stock P&S movies, until now. They had NO widescreen copies. They weren't sold out, they just didn't order any. Thankfully, Costco will let you return anything, and they took my DVD back without complaint. They also said they had received a large number of returns on the disc due to people wanting widescreen. (In fact, the first words spoken to me were, "Let me guess. You wanted widescreen?")
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I hate to be the "Glass is half full" guy, but perhaps this should show studios that there is a market for both. I don't care if there is a pan and scan version out as long as I can get my widescreen.
We just have to remeber to be more careful about which copy we're picking up.
------------------
"This is not a drill. This is the apocolypse!"
Link Removed

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Quote:
---------------------------
What are these idiots gonna do when the widescreen TVs become cheap and mainstream? buy all their p&s DVDs in widescreen?
---------------------------
They will probably zoom the movie to fill up the screen so that all that's visible is someone's naval.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks