What's new

Multichannel SACD connection to reciever Q (1 Viewer)

MikhailL

Grip
Just got a Sony NS900V and so far I'm impressed.
However, I didn't realize I needed a 5.1 input on my reciever to listen to sample multichannel SACDs. For some reason I thought it would work through a digital (coax or optical) connection.
I guess I'm stuck with 2ch (which was very noisy at first try for some reason, need to firgure it out).
But I was just wondering how other people have been dealing with it.

thanks.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Where did you get your Sony 900 and how much did you pay? I have been interested in this player. No way to get around the fact you need the 5.1 connections on your receiver to take advantage of the SACD. The same is true for DVD-A, as well.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mikhail, yes, you must use 5.1-channel inputs for playback of multi-channel SACDs. Also, you have to use stereo analog inputs on your pre/pro or receiver for stereo SACD.* A digital cable will not work. The digital outputs on your 'NS900V only work with CDs and DVDs.

You said:

I'm stuck with 2ch (which was very noisy at first try for some reason, need to firgure it out).
Can you elaborate on this? How do you have your 'NS900V connected? Could you describe the noise?

* Note that if your pre/pro or receiver had 5.1-channel inputs, you could use the front left and right jacks for playback of stereo SACDs (run from the front left and right jacks of the player's 5.1-channel outputs). It is often recommended that the player's dedicated stereo analog outputs be used for optimal performance with stereo SACDs, but the front left and right jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs can be used.

MikhailL

Grip
I got it at J&R for $550, waited for almost a month (they were out of stock).
As for the noise, apparently it was caused by connecting to the 'phono' input. When I used analog 'CD' of my reciever, it was fine. Any ideas?
Btw, it was explained to me at the last HT show, that DVD-A may be played on a regular DVD player and the sound will be downconverted to Dolby Digital. I thought the same applies to multichannel SACD. Guess, I was wrong.
So is my only option getting a reciever with 5.1 inputs? Are they still manufactured?

thanks.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mikhail, only a turntable can be connected to your receiver's phono inputs. The voltage of the analog signals from a turntable is different from that of other sources (CD, cassette, SACD), so you cannot feed your 'NS900V into the receiver's phono inputs.

Most DVD-Audio discs have a DVD-Video layer that includes a Dolby Digital and/or DTS track. This way, people who own DVD-Video players are not shut out. Another way of looking at this is that the backers of DVD-Audio could not ignore potential sales in the well-developed DVD-Video player sector.

SACD does not incorporate Dolby Digital or DTS tracks for backwards compatibility with DVD-Video players. However, some SACDs are called "hybrid" discs because they contain a CD layer. This means that the disc will play in any CD player. A standard CD player will read the CD layer. An SACD player will read the SACD or CD layer. Many record labels are producing hybrid discs. In fact, the only label that is not is Sony. Sony is still producing single-layer SACDs that can only be played in SACD players.

The vast majority of receivers and pre/pros these days have 5.1-channel inputs. You should not have difficulty finding such a receiver at any price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks