What's new

multi-channel indicator blue light on 5es flickers occasionally - normal? (1 Viewer)

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I've noticed at times the blue light (multi-channel decoding indicator) will flash on and off occasionally. I was under the impression that if a 5.1 dvd was playing, that light should be on continuously (same as the similar light on the dvd player). I've noticed it flicker during quieter passages, but not consistantly. Is it possible I have a problem with my connection (coax) or is this normal?

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Yes, I would try different digital connection to rule that out. Do you use digital connection for satellite or cable and if yes does this flicker as well? If yes it is connected and no it does not flicker, must be cable or source.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, there is one thing that could save you a lot of time. You mentioned the blue light flickering during quiet passages. Have you ever noticed it flicker during loud passages? If so, then I would assume there is a problem with the blue light. Alternatively, are you observing audio dropouts? If so, that could reflect a problem with the digital cable, the digital output on the DVD player, or the digital input on the receiver.

If you can rule out the blue light as the obvious problem, I would try a different digital cable with the same digital input, the same digital cable with a different digital input, and then a different digital cable with a different digtal input to try to isolate the problem. You can also try a different digital output on your player if it has a second one. As I said, the receiver may be having difficulty locking onto the digital bitstream for one reason or another. Do you have another DVD player you can use to test out with the same cable and same digital input?

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
No, I don't think I noticed it during loud passages, just quiet or even where I just heard the sub rumbling. I did switch to a different (longer) cable when I moved ecverything to a different audio rack.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, how long a cable are you using? I have heard of long digital cables being problematic and causing audio dropouts. Is there a way you can switch to a shorter cable?

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
It's just 6'. I bought a Synergy twin 30 stand and the 5es is on the top shelf, right side and the dvd is in the left top inside shelf.
I suppose I could move it, but I wouldn't think 6' is that big an issue.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, 6 feet is a little shy of 2 meters (1.82 meters to be a bit more exact), and I wouldn't expect that to be too long either. See my first reply for suggestions about how to go about the problem. Hopefully it is just the cable.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
It does sound like something is not right. I would definitely point the finger to the cable at this point. Especially since I think your the first person to mention this issue with the Sony 5ES.

JackS

Supporting Actor
I would consider it normal unless it is occuring continously with all disks. You probably notice the light go out during chapter and layer changes also. I can tell you that my 777es does this "flickering" occasionally with some DVD's but it is insignificant and plays no part in any type of audible signal loss or drop-outs to any speaker. DACs have improved greatly since the intro of digital receivers and pre-amps, and I attribute this phenominom to the ability of these superior DACs to react very quickly. You may recall that many people with older or lesser receivers often complained of a one or two second delay when selecting any sound source. My DA50 does this but, once the signal has locked on, it never blinks even during chapter or layer changes. I say the flicker is a normal function of your receiver, and that the flicker is an accurate description of what is actually recorded on the disk.

David Glenn

Second Unit
My blue light recently went out completely. I'm not sure what caused it as I just noticed it now. Could I have hit a combination of buttons to inadvertently turn it off? Or could it just be a bad LED?

JackS

Supporting Actor
David- If you're receiver is still decoding and outputing multi chanel sound, it would be the light. My guess is that you have inadvertantly changed the audio function in your DVD/LD player. Check the audio menu on your player.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
The only thing about my Sony I liked was the cool blue light, and no, it never wavered as long as it was in digital mode.

David Glenn

Second Unit
Jack,

Thanks for the helpful reply.

I checked the audio setting on my player and they are fine. I'm still outputing multi-channel sound so it must be the blue LED. Has this happened to other owners before? It really sucks to have to bring it in for service just for a stupid light. I'll end up getting the receiver back with a worse problem. What would you guys do?

I'm sure Russell would bring it in for servicing as it is the only thing about his Sony he likes. :wink:

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
David, just played with mine. The blue lite is only on when you have 5.1 playing, I think. When I put in a dvd and the menu intro is on in 2.0, there is no lite. Once the movie started,it went on. ALso stayed on if I enabled 3rd room. Of course it also goes out if I switch to my cd input whihc uses the analog output from the dvd player.

JackS

Supporting Actor
David- Rather than send it in for a Led replacement, call Sony and see if they would allow you to have it repaired locally. This may protect your warranty if they OK this. The cost for a simple LED replacement shouldn't cost much at all when you consider you would be paying shipping cost to Sony anyway.

David Glenn

Second Unit
Jack,

Thanks again. I'll give that a try.

Russ, you really didn't like the 5AES at all? Was your primary use for Music? Just curious? What are you using now?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Russell- You bought a receiver because you liked the blue light? You need to be more carefull when buying audio equipment. Always do some comparison in the same price range. This will guarantee your next purchase won't end up being an expensive regret. Good Luck, Jack

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
That's good advice Jack. One should never buy a piece of electronic equipment just because it has really cool lights n'stuff. I know I learned my lesson.

David Glenn

Second Unit
Update:

Very strange.... tonight, the blue light on my 5AES magically returned after poping in my Donnie Brasco dvd which has a 5.0 Dolby Digital Audio track, NOT 5.1. I then replaced it with my Spiderman dvd to see if the light stayed on, it did.

Was it just a fluke, or did the 5.0 source some how forced/triggered some sort of reset for the multichannel audio (blue indicator light)?

I'm glad I procrastinated on bring the receiver in for service.

Ahhh whatever, fugettaboutit!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks