What's new

Multi-Channel Audio (Best of) (1 Viewer)

Clint Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Hey gang, we're doing a Top 20 on the best multi-channel audio discs--DVD-Audio and SACD. Please post your Top 5 or Top 10 selections along with any comments on each. Also, feel free just to post general statements or questions about the format. Thanks for your input as always!

-Clint

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Hey Clint -

My own $.02...

The best recordings I've heard so far in hi-res multi-channel audio are:

Stravinsky & Ravel: Firebird Suite/Bolero - AIX Records (DVD-A). Fantastic compositions and a stunning orchestral recording. Also, pretty much any release from AIX Records should be in the top 5!

Vivaldi: La Stravaganza - Channel Classics (SACD). Virtuoso violin performances and jaw-dropping sonics.

Note: I'm not even a diehard classical music fan, but these two discs just blew my mind, in terms of overall quality. They are the cream at the top.

My review of La Stravaganza will be included in the September issue, and I'm planning to pick the brain of Dr. Mark Waldrep (producer/engineer/founder) of AIX Records for a future column.

A very impressive surprise for me is America's Homecoming album from Rhino (DVD-A). Amazing sound quality and mix by Elliot Scheiner considering the vintage of the recording.

Rounding out the top 5 for me would be Steve Stevens' Flamenco A Go-Go from DTS Entertainment (DVD-A). A unique blend of flamenco and rock guitar, immaculately produced.

And last - but certainly not least - Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon from Capitol/EMI (SACD) was made for multi-channel audio and should be in everyone's library.

In the spirit of "special features," I'll include a "bonus" 6th fave - Yes' Fragile from Rhino (DVD-A). A landmark album with a solid 5.1 re-mix, and the inclusion of Yes' cover of Simon & Garfunkle's "America" is worth the price of admission alone.

Cheers,

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
best SACD: Mahler 6th symphony (Telarc): most realistic orchestral recording I ever heard. impressive dynamics

best DVD Audio: Schubert String quintett (Tacet). Each player occupies one loudspeaker. you think you are one of them! reference sonics and interpretation, takes new research on the repetitions into account.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I’ll offer a top three, AIX all.

1. John McEuen and Jimmy Ibbotson: Nitty Gritty Surround

Warm, heartfelt blending of country, folk, and blue grass by a group of talented musicians and singers spreading the word about their love and devotion to their music. Soulful, magical, and totally without affectation.

2. Stravinsky & Ravel: Firebird Suite/Bolero

Wonderful sound quality. Superb clarity, detail, and dynamics. Perfect use of surround channel ambiance. Very nice interpretation of Stravinsky’s seminal work. Not as enthused by the rendition of Bolero, but you can’t have everything.

3. Chopin – Four Ballades

After all these years, I’ve come to believe that piano is one of the hardest instruments to reproduce faithfully. In fact, I’ve never heard it done as if the performance were truly taking place in one’s own listening environment. That said, this recording makes a sensational attempt. Warm. Detailed. Delicate at times and bold sounding at others. Beautifully revealed nuances.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I'm planning to pick the brain of Dr. Mark Waldrep (producer/engineer/founder) of AIX Records for a future column.
My feature on AIX Records and Mark Waldrep, Ph.D. is in the can and is planned for the October issue of DVD ETC.

Just rec'd AIX's new release: Laurence Juber: Guitar Noir, and now I'm going to have to replace a title in my top 10 list...;)

Holy cripes! The Juber disc is amazing...!

Cheers,

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I don't know what it is with some of the UK magazines, they either relegate HIREZ to sarcastic comments and then in the case of Rachel Podger's La Stravaganza give it disc of the month honours it it's RedBook version.

Go Figure

Peter m.
PS: I have over 140 discs in the combination of formats with a very eclectic mix. I hope to give some thoughts to favorites soon but La stravaganza is awsome in mltich sacd.
I even made copies of the RedBook layer for our cars.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Felix,
Fairly simple really, the original is always at home to enjoy the sacd version, and we have 2 cars.

Same story for the Heart "Live in Seattle (double disc) and the "The Wall" Roger Waters "Live in Berlin" (double disc). Also if I'm dumb enough at times to leave the copy roasting in the sun on my car seat, I can always re-do it.

Peter m.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks