What's new

Movies that really strain credibility. (1 Viewer)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Having just seen Panic Room, I have to say I really doubt someone who has just been hit in the head full-force with a roundhouse swing from a sledge hammer and falls three floors down over a railing can climb back up those flights of stairs and then overpower three people at the top (not to mention one of them was armed as well).

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
The GUI used in Jurassic Park was available for Unix, so I don't see anything wrong with them using it.
I stand corrected. I'm penning my apology to Spielberg this afternoon.

But you do have to admit, computers are dumbed down in movies.. sometimes to rediculous levels.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I once saw a double feature of Austin Powers 2 and Notting Hill. AP2 features time travel, a midget clone, suspended animation, and "mojo" extraction. Even with all that I found it more scores more believable than Notting Hill.
I hate to say it, but Lord of the Rings. Why doesn't Gandalf just have his giant bird pal fly Frodo over Mount Doom so he can just drop the ring in? Could trim 8 hours and 55 minutes from the trilogy that way.
Has anybody seen the trailer for The Transporter? In it, there's a scene where the main character successfully blocks a rocket launcher attack...with a dinner tray?

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Yes there was, he was psychotic.
Psychotic or not, any one of those actions would have killed him (or at least seriously debilitated him). Let alone three "killings" in a five minute stand, nobody could survive that. I don't care how crazy they are.

Here's another one that always bothered me. (And I it can be traced back to its comic book source.) The fact that Lois Lane can't recognize Superman with a pair of glasses on. Here she is a bright, successful investigative reporter, paid to sniff out the big stories, yet she can't recognize the love of her life when he's standing right in front of her, because he's wearing glasses. Yeah right! I have no problem with Superman flying, bullets bouncing off him, or even turning back time. But those damn glasses!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
But those damn glasses!
Don't forget that curl of hair that's combed back when he's Clark Kent.

The glasses thing has always bothered me too, even as a kid reading the comic and watchung the TV show. They could have at least used those Groucho glasses with the bushy eyebrows, nose & mustache.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I hate to say it, but Lord of the Rings. Why doesn't Gandalf just have his giant bird pal fly Frodo over Mount Doom so he can just drop the ring in?
That's been answered in another thread. There's a big difference between rescuing Gandalf from the Tower and being asked to carry the Ring Bearer. That's part of the essence of the story--that NONE of the more powerful beings in Middle Earth are safe carrying the Ring. It has a very corrupting influence. You'll notice that Gandalf doesn't throw the ring into a saddlebag on the white horse he rides, either.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I hate to say it, but Lord of the Rings. Why doesn't Gandalf just have his giant bird pal fly Frodo over Mount Doom so he can just drop the ring in?
Ring Wraiths ride things other than horses, Frodo and the bird would never make it out in the open.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Psychotic or not, any one of those actions would have killed him (or at least seriously debilitated him). Let alone three "killings" in a five minute stand, nobody could survive that. I don't care how crazy they are.
I was in an emergency room once back in 1992 and I saw a man who (according to my friend who was an orderly at the time) had stopped taking his (anti-psychotic I suppose) medication and who attacked his wife and her brother in a psychotic rage and in the process got his stomach opened up with a butcher knife. While in the ER he ripped off the bandage's and his guts were literally hanging out of his body as he attacked (I saw this first hand) four police officers who out weighed him each by 100 lbs. and they didn't have an easy time restraining him, he supposedly wasn't on drugs at the time (that was the problem) and he had a shockingly major wound that would have paralyzed me.

I can only repeat that it is frightening what the mind is capable of doing.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
OMG, practically any movie by Michael Douglas. Disclosure, The War of the Roses, Fatal Attraction, the list is long but two stand out.

(Don't bug me about spoilers. If you haven't seen these movies by now then you should be thanking me for saving you.)

Basic Instinct: All the evidence points to her being the killer, she basically says she's the killer, nobody else is even close to being a suspect, but damn she fine. Case solved.

The Game: Our game is so precise and realistic that we know your every move days ahead of time so that we can properly set up the locations. For instance, if we mind-f you like this then you will start running in this direction which is why we installed little explosives on the wall so that you will think we are shooting with live bullets instead of blanks. And if we string along this unbelievable sequence of events like so, our research has shown that you are most likely to jump off the west side of the building. Predicting trajectory, we will put this air pad right here so that you land perfectly in the center.

There are probably some more recent films I could list but after The Game I finally put a moratorium on all MD films.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Mr. Oliver Stone's Any Given Sunday. I remember the buzz on this film when it came out that it was the most relistic football film EVER MADE.
Can somebody explain to me how someone's frickin eyeball pops out onto the football field? And not just the ball but about six inches of optical nerve too. WTF!!!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Actually, Hunter, Wonder Boys seemed pretty plausible to me, well, at least plausible to a person like me whose been known to get him into marathon lengths of trouble.
TACOS!!!!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Well fine, be that way.

Oh well, you appear to like Invader Zim (according to your sig.), so you're still cool in my book.

"You can't escape by teleporter now little Gaz. I've cut the power. Stupid Stinking humans! Stupid, stinking humans."
"Doesn't this ship have escape pods?"
"Of course, they're right over there. Stupid stinking humans...GAHHH!!!"

"Okay Gir, turn on your guidance systems and direct us home. You do know where home is right?"
"It's umm...that way. No...umm..."
"You mean you don't know? Isn't your guidence chip working?"
"Oh I took that out."
"Took what out?"
"The Guidey-Chipey thingy."
"Why would you do that?"
"To make room for my cupcake!"
*a cupcake shoots out of the top of GIR's head.*

[Later]
"I miss you, cupcake."

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
Why is it that any time computer hackers are portrayed in film, their computers use enormous fonts and make wierd sounds? They make hacking look like playing a video game. Especially in 1996 when this film was made, the general public had a much higher understanding of computers than the studios give them credit for.
It irritates me to see computers "dumbed down" in film.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
How about Fight Club. With all that bare fisted fighting they would all have casts on there hands from all the broken bones and of course they would all have broken noses as well.
All of these men follow a obviously deranged man.
How many men would actually want to be in a fight club, I don't know about you but I go out of my way to avoid being in a fight let alone doing it for fun.
Do you really think the girl would stay with him after the way he treats her, or is he really that good in the sack?
:D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
13 Days
13 whole days and not one Kennedy banging some Bimbo silly in the Oval Office????
Thats what I call fiction:D

RaulR

Stunt Coordinator
How about "Disclosure"? Are we really supposed to believe that someone who looks like Demi Moore would come on to someone as decrepit as Michael Douglas, AND that he would turn her down?
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks