What's new

Movies that really strain credibility. (1 Viewer)

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
XxX
Preposterous doesn't even begin to explain this turkey. Unless there really are Motorcycle Air Ramps, well, everywhere.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Armageddon was one of the more stupid ones that shows very well, the fact that movie makers do zero research into a topic before making a film about it. At least Deep Impact had 'some' tie-ins to reality.
Another that comes to mind (even though I like the film) is Air Force One. Somehow, I have a hard time seeing the real president being to combat saavy but hey, if my family was threatened like that, who knows? Also, I have a hard time believing how easy it is to infiltrate the AF1. Any of you flying after 9-11 in the US can relate to that.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much any James Bond movie is quite distantly removed from reality. I first thought they should be sci-fi films...But Bond fans seem to hate that idea. So, what exactly are these movies then?
My personal favorite "Huh?" movie: We Were Soldiers
I have several friends, both in and former military members who enjoy pointing-out little things such as incorrect insignias, weapons a few years out of date (*cough*cough*Universal Soldier*cough*Desert Eagles*), and vehicles that look close, but aren't really historically accurate. These I consider "small" problems. But with WWS,
Didn't Vietnam look just a little too-much like South Carolina to you? Granted, not all of vietnam is rice paddies and rain storms...But maple trees? Oaks! I'm sorry, but this movie is so obviously not in central asia I expected "charlies" secret base to be hidden behind a Chevrolet dealership.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
The rules of movie viewing.....
To suspend disbelief the audience has to be willing to accept a coherent alternate reality. How close that reality is to our reality is up to the directors, writers, and actors. Where suspension fails is when expected rules of reality are broken in scenarios where real reality is expected to be followed. In Star Wars we are not surprised the Millennium Falcon can exceed the speed of light nor are we surprised when the engine breaks down just like 20th century engines. The rule of the reality is that such things happen and are reasonable because they would be reasonable expectations given the plot and milieu.
Mission to Mars is a wonderful example of what not to do to create suspension of disbelief. Frozen heads, pin holes in spaceships plugged with gum, a few sad aspidistras in a ratty greenhouse providing enough oxygen for removing a helmet on Mars, a friendly ET nuking people because they didn't ask nicely to come into his Captain EO light show-- all of these reek of blatant disregard for accepted plot construction that it's easy to fall out of the movie and be bored. You can't present one reality only to make it another reality without addressing the purpose or offering an explanation. Careful and considerate viewers won't buy it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe what you are talking about there Jason is "Creative License," which only goes so far. I never had a problem with most Bond movies. I think they generally stay within their license. On the other hand, xXx sounds like it exceeds it nicely.

Zach K

Auditioning
No offense to any fans, but I had a pretty hard time suspending belief while watching AOTC. I was still entertained, but it was pretty difficult to take my mind off certain scenes that killed it for me. I know its a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, but R2D2 flying around with rocket packs? I always liked how he just waddled along on the ground like a silly droid robot in the earlier films, but I didn't know he was designed for air travel. :D Also, the factory scene where the stamping machine made an exact imprint of I think Anakin's hand, that stretched it a little too far for me, even for a fantasy movie like SW.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Bubble Boy
I found this film truly revolting!!!
Yea, lets make fun of someone with a terrible disability.
Good job Disney.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Not only funny, but pretty darn uplifting as well.

Doesn't really fit "Movies that really strain credibility" if it is so realistic and offensive.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
What about Reign of Fire?
Millions of dragon offspring and not one of them is a male? :confused:

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Vin Diesel in "XXX" goes to an elegant restaurant dressed in a sleeveless T-shirt and covered with tattoos.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
bone collector spoiler...........
doesnt one of the main characters, who can only move his mouth and one finger have a fight with the villain and .

beats him up.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
That's the problem right there.
Um what's the problem Jeff? You no lika de popcorn flick?;)
Aren't the Star Wars movies basically popcorn flicks? The Matrix?
Armageddon and Independence Day were gloriously over-the-top SF spectaculars, nothing wrong with that. Besides there's always films like 2001 and Apollo 13 as an antidote to rampant SF silliness.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
More Bone Collector stupidity:
Denzel Washington asking Angelie Jolie to cut off the hands of the victim, (who no one has checked to see if she's still alive), so he can have the handcuffs "before the forensic experts bungle the evidence". Probably the most idiotic & implausible moment in any crime thriller I've ever seen.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I saw a movie the other day that really strained credibility, but I forget the title. I just don't think a babysitter would agree to a three-way with a housewife and a pizza-delivery guy so quickly.

Real Name
John Doroshenk
In Deep Impact, Frodo was able to ride his moped from VA Beach to I believe Colorado on a tank of gas and out race a flood to the top of a mountain all in one day. I got to get me one of those bikes.

Robin Warren

Second Unit
Someone mentioned Training Day...
The whole premise of the set-up to steal the money from the drug dealer ruined the movie for me. They claim they went in on a warrant, the drug dealer pulled a gun and opened up on them forcing them to kill him. However, they don't do this, they go into the house, chat it up with the drug dealer and spend the better part of an afternoon digging up the kitchen floor to get the money out. Then they shoot the drug dealer in cold blood and call for backup....how do they explain the hole in the floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks