What's new

Movies that BLEW YOUR MIND (1 Viewer)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I'm sure there are many more, but off the top of my head:

Matrix - Not the whole reality is fake part, but the visual style and fight scenes were just completely fresh and unexpected.

Jaws - I don't know how in the hell this film didn't rate an R (or maybe an X) rating, but it shouldn't have been PG and I shouldn't have seen it that young. I still retain an irrational fear of sharks, it ATE THE DAMN BOAT!

Hero - I bought this blind off eBay about a year ago, was expecting a low quality DVD of a CTHD clone. The DVD was superbit quality in video/sound and I was just floored by how good it all was. Maybe the most impressive use of color I've ever seen in a movie, totally overpowering.

Star Wars IV-VI - It still blows me away, I love these movies to death. No real explanation needed.

Se7en - Wife and I had a big Indian dinner and headed out to see some slasher type flick. Maybe the worst date movie I've ever been on. Nothing like feeling stuffed from curry and being treated to "Gluttony" 10 mins in.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Saw this in Jr. High on a sleepover at my house. I wish my parents would have been more selective in what we watched, put chainsaw weilding Texans up there with sharks. Scared the hell outta me.

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon - No expectations seeing this on VHS for the first time. One of the coolest B movies ever made, hands down. Sho' Nuff alone makes this movie a must see.

Evil Dead 2 - Again, no expectations. Put it up there with Last Dragon, best damn B movie maybe ever! Total love for this movie and Raimi/Campbell.

MaddyS

Auditioning
During Donnie Darko, I couldn't even blink my eyes for fear of missing something important. I've been able to watch this movie about 6 times and I see something new every time. Total genius of a movie, great soundtrack, kept me thinking- what more could I ask for? These other movies sound pretty cool too, especially Vertigo...anyone have any of these mindblowing movies up for trade on sonicswap.com?

ScottFH

Stunt Coordinator
Dark City - knew nothing about it except for the incredible trailer - completely blew my mind, what's left of it;

The Naked Prey - Cornel Wilde's African survival opus;

Blade Runner Work Print - a complete suprise, as the "Original Release" was what was advertised - turns out the distributor sent the "wrong" print!!!

:)

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
the village - i love a movie that i can analyze until the end.

seven - same reason. i was on the edge of my seat.

basict instinct - same reason. this movie i have over analyzed to the point that my sister and i can act out the entire movie without it being on. also did a research paper for a psychology class based on this movie. loves it...

KyleK

Second Unit
Wow I am surprised at the great response this thread has gotten. Anyway I would like to add:

Run Lola Run: Music, structure, everything
Cinema Paradiso: All around great movie about movies
Rosemary's Baby: Scary ending and you see NOTHING
Chicken Run: I love claymation
Say Anything: Great REAL love story
Garden State: Zach Braff is awesome, great music

Kyle:D

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Watching the original Frankenstein when I was 7 or 8 years old and then having to climb up those looooooooooooong stairs to go to bed. I just KNEW that monster was up there and he was going to get me!

Superman: The opening and watching him fly for the first time. It was a very good effect for its time.

The Godfather: The coldness of Michael as he's talking about arranging the meeting.

2001 when I was 6: "Ooooooh! Look at the lights!"

Star Wars Episode IV: I was 13. My father leaned over to me and said "Watch this" and then the Millennium Falcon went into hyperspace. I'll never have that particular feeling again.

Apollo 13: Feels like I'm right there watching a lift off of the Saturn V.

Star Trek II: Spock's death.
Star Trek III: Stealing the Enterprise. Yeah, baby!

Fail-Safe: "Dammit Grady!!! This is the president!!!

The Truman Show: When he touches the wall and realizes he's in a cage.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service: The death of Mrs. Bond.

Saving Private Ryan: "Earn this."

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Naked Lunch - I used to HATE William S. Borroughs, couldn't make heads or tails of his books in high school. After seeing Naked Lunch his body of work makes a lot more sense. Shoot, this movie still blows my mind. WTH actually happens in this movie?

PS - Anyone know where I can score some good bug powder? ;)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
I would have to add "Contact" to this list. If you haven't seen it yet you should. quite possible the best and most scienctificly acurate sci fci ever made (2001: excepted) do yourself a favour and watch it.

Larry Vance

Auditioning
Fantastic choices already listed, but I'd like to add:

- Requiem for a Dream
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I always go blank when someoone asks questions like these but two that come to mind I saw in my early teens and they stuck with me. They affected me so I guess you could say they blew my mind.

Midnight Express (I'll never smuggle weed out of Turkey)

Ordinary People ( I had never had a death in my family at that point but I think I could indentify with the angst of the family and Tim Hutton really "Blew me away"

Sophie's Choice. Hard to watch at times but packs a whallop.

The Rapture with Mimi Rogers. Why is she not a Big Star when people like Julia Roberts is??

Seing Star Wars for the first time.

The end of the Whale Rider.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Another one just occurred to me, remembering at the time...

Disney's Sleeping Beauty where there's that section in the middle where you have the heroine sleep-walking through the castle behind the green light for about 2 minutes.

Two whole minutes of animation and music; no dialog.

It was sort of a revealation of what Disney could do if they put their minds to it.

Leo Kerr

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
Here's mine:

Saving Private Ryan: Where Hanks and Co are on the beach behind the sand bank, and the radio operator gets taken out. Changed the way i thought about war, and war films.

Moulin Rouge: Simply genius. Baz Lurhmann is a cinematic genius.

Aladdin: i saw this before i ever saw The Lion King. The entire film is magic. The Lion King ranks a very, very close second.

LOTR: The Two Towers: Helms Deep gets blown the f**k up. Jaw dropping.

Twister: the first film i ever saw where i paid more attention to the sound than the film. it made me realise how important sound is to films. Plus, it introduced me to real surround sound.

Dragonheart: for almost the same reason as Twister. I saw this in DTS and somebody must have flicked the bass switch up a notch. My friend and I almost had an embolysm during the first battle between Bowen and Draco, there was that much bass....

The Sixth Sense: The ripple that went through the audience when the revelation was made was palpable. I have never felt like that before or since.

ID4: Sheer, unadulterated fun, made even better by an audience who were clapping, cheering and yahooing all the way through it. A once in a lifetime moment - the second time i saw it in the cinema, the audience just sat there doing nothing.

Deep Rising: the chick from Goldeneye in a sexy red dress. You do the math.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Good point, Rodney..

sound technology:

Casper First film that reached out to me and said, "this is what 5.1 surround can do." So much nicely detailed 'ambience' that didn't reach out to smack you with an individual speaker.

Leo Kerr

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
No Mans Land: Asian Edition :D (intresting film, intresting, intresting, very intresting, then I suddenly lost intrest).

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I remember renting John Woo's "The Killer" on CAV laserdisc about 10 years ago. By the end of the first side (30 minutes into the movie), I was out-of-breath from the non-stop action, and thinking, "oh god, I'm only 1/4 of the way through this movie!". And the rest did not disappoint. Still waiting for a new anamorphic release someday. Seems like the DVD has been out of print for ages.

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator
Oldboy,i watched it 3 times in the first 2 days.I don't know what the count is up to now but this is easily the most amazing movie i have seen since Donnie Darko.

EricCrane

Agent
My movies would be:
American Beauty
Star Wars 4-6
LOTR
Shawshank Redemption
Way of the Gun
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
The Usual Suspect
Spiderman 2
Jurassic Park
Saving Private Ryan
The Sixth Sense
Signs
Field of Dreams
and more that I can't remember right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks