Movies that BLEW YOUR MIND

Discussion in 'Movies' started by KyleK, Aug 29, 2004.

1. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Jan 11, 2001
    I have been thinking of starting a thread like this for a while now, mostly due to the fact that my buddies, when commenting on an incredible movie, will say that the movie "blew their mind," in a half-joking manner, and I thought it was a fun and fitting term for movies of exceptional quality or impact. These are movies that I would say BLEW MY MIND:

The Empire Strikes Back: "I am you father"
    The Game: The incredible polarizing twist ending and direction by David Fincher
    Pi: Still don't quite understand it
    Moulin Rouge: Great music, emotional impact
    Blade Runner: Production design, music by Vangelis, emotional impact (probably my favorite movie of all time)
    The Matrix trilogy: Yes even the sequels
    Adaptation: Charlie Kaufman is a genius
    Dune: Yes I like Dune, David Lynch is incredible and you gotta love the score by Toto, and you ain't gonna see Sting in a ceramic speedo anywhere else
    Equilibrium: Fight scenes blew my mind
    The Thing: Absolutely terrifying, this movie came out of left field for me
    12 Monkeys: The ending
    LOTR trilogy: Goes without saying
    Aliens: Cameron takes the alien concept to a new level, the last 1/2 hr. gives me knots in my stomach
    Don't Look Now: Nicholas Roeg's best in my opinion
    My Neighbor Totoro: One of the most touching films ever
    Psycho: The ending
    2001: I think Jack can say it better than I can [​IMG]

In order to blow my mind, they must have leave me with an almost physical, reeling sensation due to a twist ending, incredible epic scope, emotional impact or other exceptional qualities. They also should leave you with the immediate need to go tell someone else about the film. Many of my favorite films still did not blow my mind. So what are some films that blew YOUR mind?

2. Phil_La

Phil_La Stunt Coordinator

Jul 19, 2003
    Vertigo: everything. The atmosphere, the score, the twist... I was actually wondering if most viewers caught on to the twist, because I was completely caught by surprise.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: actually, I didn't like it at all the first time I saw it a few years ago. I think I rented it when it was a new release. I wasn't really into cinema as much as I am now (yes that was only a few years ago, I'm young). I really only watched movies for entertainment, didn't care about things like "plots" or "emotional impact". It was also a dubbed, pan & scan VHS.

Anyway, I decided to check out Hero about a year ago and it blew me away. I decided to revisit CTHD and now I think it's beautiful, and the fight scenes are just amazing. I hadn't even remembered the plot from the first time I viewed it, all I remembered was thinking "they're flying, so what?" I can't believe I watched this dubbed the first time.

Pulp Fiction: spoiler tags just in case (who am I kidding?) when Jules is going on about divine intervention, all of a sudden Vincent accidentally shoots Marvin. Butch's vigilante justice with a sword. The scene where they bring out the gimp, I'm usually not so easily disturbed, but the gimp freaks me out. Many others as well.

Memento: mainly the twist ending. After watching Following, I was even more surprised how he used the same style in Memento, but tied it in so well with the plot.

Dr. Strangelove: please don't laugh. I had no idea Peter Sellers played more than one role. I remember thinking to myself "I thought he played Dr. Strangelove?" Other than that, I think the whole movie is mind blowingly clever.
  3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Jun 21, 2000
    Donnie Darko is the definition of mind blowing.
  4. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Jan 27, 2003
    There are several such movies to me, many of which have already been mentioned.

However, my most memorable movie experience where I sat absolutely dumbfounded was when I watched Jurassic Park on the big screen at the age of 13. I mean, I was watching friggin' dinosaurs. I know it is not the greatest movie ever made or anything like that, but I have NEVER in my life had an experience at the movies like that one. Period. I sat glued to my seat in absolute awe and amazement. I mean, what young boy hasn't at some point been fascinated by dinosaurs?
  5. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

Mar 8, 2004

I'd like to add:

Fight Club
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  6. Jacob McCraw

Jacob McCraw Stunt Coordinator

Dec 24, 2003
    Minority Report really blew my mind. There were several chill inducing revelations in there, at least for me, and the way the plot unspooled was just perfect.
  7. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

Mar 22, 2002
    All of these fit that criteria for me:

The Shawshank Redemption
    Road to Perdition
    A Simple Plan
    Antwone Fisher
    Donnie Darko
    A Midnight Clear
    L.A. Confidential
    Spirited Away
    Fahrenheit 9/11

and scores of others...
  8. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Aug 6, 2000
    I think that a movie "blows my mind" when it's something I see very fresh and am unprepared for. Seven blew my mind because I simply didn't expect it to be that damn good, but Fight Club, while excellent, didn't affect me in quite that way because I knew Fincher's style by then and was expecting a quality movie.

Toy Story made me realize that computer animation didn't have to suck.

Die Hard blew my mind because it was the goofball from Moonlighting kicking just as much ass as Arnold in an awesome action movie.

Fellowship of the Ring, for being so close to how I imagined the book that it made me wonder if Peter Jackson possessed telepathy.
  9. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Feb 15, 2002
    Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Vertigo (not until the 2nd time I saw it)
    STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (the carnival sequence... tunnel of love!)
    The Last Temptation of Christ
    2001 (once I was old enough to appreciate it)
    U2: Rattle and Hum (this movie got me into rock music -- don't laugh! [​IMG] )
    Fellini Satyricon
    NIGHTS OF CABIRIA (featuring the greatest performance by an actress in the history of cinema!!)
    Keaton's THE GENERAL with live accompaniment on the Mighty Wurlitzer Organ
    The Man With the Movie Camera

Michel Gondry's music videos: Fell in Love With a Girl, The Hardest Button to Button, Sugar Water, Daft Punk
    Super Furry Animals: Rings Around the World

Snow White
    The Old Mill
    Skeleton Dance
  10. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

Jan 13, 2004
    The Matrix
    Boogie Nights

I think what's common to all of these is that they all came before my internet days. I went into each not knowing a whole lot about them.
  11. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Feb 4, 2004
    No one mentioned The Usual Suspects, but i was really amazed by the ending, the same goes for Seven..
  12. Ronald_Pellet

Ronald_Pellet Auditioning

Jan 19, 2004
    The Last 1/3 of this movie...from the point of John Doe holding up his bloody hands screaming.."Detectives!!!..Detectives!!"..then calmly saying " I believe you are looking for me"..with that evil smirk on his the last frame of this magnificant film....

Figuratively..and almost literally..blew my Friggin Mind !

Never before, or since have I felt more dread..more anticipation...of what could come next...

The whole sequence of Detective Mills and Sommerset and "John Doe"..driving to the "final revelation"...OMFG I was thinking, what is that Bad A$$ planning?...I just knew the S**t was going to hit the fan !!

The dialog, the direction, the music, the acting...all combined to warp my mind and fire off my whole nervous system...

The awe inspiring yet horrific climax...and the ONE line ..and the ONE moment that blew my mind..more then any other that I've ever seen....

"Become vengeance David.... become, Wrath"

That final dilema, to avenge his wife's death, David must become "Wrath" and kill John Doe for his sin of "Envy" of David's life with his wife and thus complete the 7 Deadly Sins !
    is #1 in my books for "Mind Blowing"...

13. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Jun 4, 2001
    While not overall mind blowing, there is one scene in "Lost World, Jurssic Park 2" that was very, very effective and frightening:

People are running through a field of tall grass. From an over head shot we see the straight line tracks of the people and then coming from their right and left on an angle are the tracks of the (unseen) raptors. Then we go back to the grass and people are falling but you can't exactly see what is bringing them down. Too bad the whole movie did not match the scare factor of that scene.
  14. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

May 31, 2002
    The Game - Probably the best mindf-ck experience I've ever had in a theater. I went to see Kiss the Girls(a mediocre "thriller") at a sneak preview and we were allowed to stay and watch The Game for free. All I knew about it was that it starred Michael Douglas and was directed by David Fincher. And boy am I glad, cuz I was put through the wringer just like Nick Van Orton was. A competely absurd premise for a film, but I don't care since I loved every minute of it.

Abre Los Ojos(aka Open Your Eyes) - The second best mindf-ck movie I've ever seen. I've never seen a movie change genres from one reel to the next so effortlessly. It starts as a love story, then becomes a morality tale, and then evolves into a thriller, until it ultimately ends up in the realm of sci-fi.

The Matrix - Remember back when this franchise was fresh and interesting? I saw it opening day and it blew me away. The actual premise wasn't anything new to me. It was like Dark City mixed in with The Terminator. But the style and execution was unlike anything I'd ever witnessed. That being said, as much as I loved this movie, I dreaded the thought of a sequel. For starters, it would require them to develop the character of Neo, meaning Ken-U Reeves would be required to act. And secondly, the deck was stacked so high against the humans that I couldn't contemplate a satisfying ending to the story(and lo and behold, Matrix Convolutions ended with the ultimate copout).

T2 - I knew that Ahnuld was a good guy, and I was all but certain that Judgment Day would be stopped(or as we found out 12 years later, merely postponed [​IMG]), but this is still arguably the most intense action thriller I've ever seen in a theater. It wasn't the groundbreaking CGI work or the pyrotechnics or even the shockingly realistic nuclear holocaust nightmare that did it for me. It was Cameron's relentless pace, something that was unfortunately lost in T3(although I still enjoyed that sequel).

Speed - Second only to T2 on my list of favorite action thrillers seen theatrically. Who knew that Ken-U Reeves could be a convincing action hero? Who knew that Dennis Hopper could bounce back after years of mediocrity(his bit part in True Romance excepted)? I did know that Sandra Bullock was gonna be big after seeing her in Demolition Man(thank God Lori Petty was fired from that flick). But I definitely didn't expect that a movie about a bus going really fast around L.A. would make such an exciting rollercoaster ride. It also helped that going in I had no idea about the third act on the subway. That just made an already great action movie into a classic. About the only things I still don't like about the film to this day are the jump over the gap in the freeway and the Billy Idol tune during the end credits.

Moulin Rouge - The most insane film I've ever seen. After watching this on DVD, I wanted to kill myself for never having experienced it with an audience in a movie theater. I've never been big on musicals, but using existing tunes within the context of the story was a brilliant move. Even "I Will Always Love You" was cool, and I hate that freaking song. Also, the film is a visual masterpiece. I could watch it a thousand times and still discover something that I hadn't seen before.

L.A. Confidential - I'd seen all the great reviews, and I knew everyone was saying it was one of the year's best films. I just had no idea it was gonna be THAT great. I still don't know if I like the idea of Russell Crowe surviving at the end, but that's about the only complaint I can make about the movie. Hell, even Kim Basinger gave a great performance, and I actually had no problem with her winning the Oscar(even if she's sucked in basically everything else she's ever done). In fact, this flick was probably too great. Every male actor did such a good job, that they all cancelled themselves out come awards time. And of course, it had the misfortune of coming out the same year as Titanic, which was not to be denied the Best Picture trophy.

Pulp Fiction - I'd never seen anything like it before. The sharp, witty, profane monologues. The brutal(and sometimes amusing) violence. The perfect choice of background music. And the shocking death of the main character halfway through the picture....only to see him "revived" for the third act. I'm just grateful I saw it during its initial theatrical release, before it became a box office hit, before it was being quoted by everyone, and before it was imitated by every up-and-coming young filmmaker out there.
  15. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Jul 24, 2002
    I'm with you there. Fellowship was spot-on. Expected the worst walking into the theater - you know what happens when they make movies out of books.

Esp. Gandalf. BEST. CASTING. EVER. Ian McKellan = Gandalf

My wife is still hung up on the scene were Gandalf comes over the hill in the cart at the beginning of FOTR, for some reason. Snared her right away [​IMG]

Donnie Darko. Seven. Momento. Grave of the Fireflies.

All caught me quite off guard - not what expected at all. Esp. momento. We weren't really cultured at all at the time, and thought it was just some sort of crime movie from the description (the wife's schtick used to be crime movies). Talk about a surprise. We (wife, then g/f, and a buddy) just sat there mesmerized throught the whole thing.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was mindblowing, but I can't quite place why. Stacey got me to drive and go see it (2 hour drive to see movies like that). It somehow turned into my favorite movie of the year. Something about the ideas in the movie really struck me for some reason. Even the bad stuff you find painful to remember is a part of what makes you, you.
  16. Matt Leigh

Matt Leigh Stunt Coordinator

Aug 8, 2004
    Se7en: Couldn't eat spaghetti for a good few years later. The movie seriously disturbed me for about 3 years.

Fight Club: I seriously felt insane and numb for about 30 to 40 minutes after seeing it. The music and final images just had me all bent up.

The Game: I just got so sucked into the movie I didn't see the ending coming. I've seen it a few times since and damned that even though I know what is going to happen the ending still fills me with joy.

The Sixth Sense: I expected a routine ghost story instead I felt like a bucket of cold water was dumped on my head when the realization occurs.

Titanic: I was so involved with the movie and against all common sense I was hoping the Titanic would actually miss the iceberg. The dolphin bow sequnece brings a tear to my eye as does the final scene.

Speed: I just didn't expect that much forward momentum and relentless action out of a middle budget hollywood movie.

Die Hard With a Vengeance: The non stop action all the way to the climax made me feel like I'd had been taken out for a good heroic beating and enjoyed every minute of it.

Hard Boiled: The 30 minute bullet ballet climax had me in awe and a whole new world of cinema and a new perspective of action opened up to me.

Saving Private Ryan: The opening battle as well as the ending had me gripping my seat and ducking for cover.

Starship Troopers: I know that I should have been disgusted by the body parts and gore but I just laughed and laughed and the more violent the film got the harder I laughed.

Total Recall: Every moment of the film and its 4 parallel storylines had me gripped all the way to the conclusion that is there for the audience to decide what actually happened. The punchy non stop action was fantastic as well as the great effects work.

Episode 1: Primarily due to the effects work that was absolutely top notch and nonstop and far beyond what even the trailers initailly showed. I never expected that much visual eye candy in a movie.

Braveheart: I walked out of the theater and told my friend that hands down it was the best film of the year regardless of what comes out between then and the end of that year.

Alien 3: What sealed the deal was Goldenthal's underrated creepy and sweeping score coupled with Ripley's sacrificing fall into the furnace. I knew the series was over and was saddend not for that but because my favorite movie character had died in the only way that could have made a difference.

There are far more great movies out there that had a distinct impact on me but these are the ones that came to mind first and foremost.
  17. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Apr 9, 2000
    Bill Huelbig
    Here are three already mentioned above that I agree with wholeheartedly:

Nights of Cabiria
    2001: A Space Odyssey
  18. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Feb 3, 1999
    Scanners [​IMG]
  19. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

Jan 24, 2002
    The Fellowship of the Ring - Before I went into this, I knew nothing of LOTR other than a few tv previews I saw, that there were going to be two more movies in the next two years, and that the dork from The Faculty was in it. I was immediately pulled in and was blown away by everything about this film. The initial "WOW" this movie gave me wore off seeing the other two, so I only really count this one.

Minority Report - Why don't they make movies like this anymore? One of the greatest times I had going to the movies. Like someone else said, several chill inducing revelations, and the plot unspooled perfectly. Spielberg's best ever.
  20. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Jan 11, 2004
    Most recently for me would have to be Secret Window. I did not expect that ending. When the boyfriend showed up at the end....I expected the usual ending in which the bad guy is subdued or killed. But nope, Depp kills them both and gets away with it.

I love it just for being different.