What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah... and if the auditorium you see it in shares a ventilation system with the room next door, and a cluster of maskless sick people happen to be in there breathing, you might get all of that blown onto you anyway.
Me reading this:
Image result for homer simpson scared

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Yeah... and if the auditorium you see it in shares a ventilation system with the room next door, and a cluster of maskless sick people happen to be in there breathing, you might get all of that blown onto you anyway...
I know there's conflicting information about this, but I was under the impression that you had to be relatively close to someone for more than a fleeting moment to risk exposure - hence the "keep a 6 foot distance" rule. It seems like droplets floating in the air dispersed across thousands of square feet would be akin to pissing in the ocean - not something you'd want near you, but not really a concern once you moved a few feet away.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think the current thinking is you have to be exposed to a certain amount of the virus for a length of time for infection.

There's this article today on CNN. If airplanes are relatively low risk, I'd think proper spacing in movie theaters would be the same. Though I can't speak to how the ventilation systems work in all theaters. I wouldn't think many circulate beyond the single auditorium, as the climate system usually has a thermostat in each room to control each individual room.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/odds-catching-covid-19-flight-wellness-scn/index.html

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I know there's conflicting information about this, but I was under the impression that you had to be relatively close to someone for more than a fleeting moment to risk exposure - hence the "keep a 6 foot distance" rule. It seems like droplets floating in the air dispersed across thousands of square feet would be akin to pissing in the ocean - not something you'd want near you, but not really a concern once you moved a few feet away.

There was an earlier study of a restaurant in China from back at the beginning of the year, and what they found was that one person sitting at one table infected a whole bunch of the room because the air conditioning carried the air around the room. The people at other tables that were in the path of the airflow got sick; those who were not, did not.

I think what they’re finding with indoor venues is that air circulation is such a wildcard in the equation but being inside makes it a lot easier to spread it around.

Someone goes to the theater without knowing they’re ill. They sit in a back row that just so happens to be by the air vent. When they breathe, the air vent blows it from that row to the front of the auditorium. Between preshow entertainment and the film, everyone shares the same space for three hours. Could it be fine? Yeah. Could it not be fine. Also yeah. Just not worth risking the lives of everyone I care about to find out.

I think the current thinking is you have to be exposed to a certain amount of the virus for a length of time for infection.

There's this article today on CNN. If airplanes are relatively low risk, I'd think proper spacing in movie theaters would be the same. Though I can't speak to how the ventilation systems work in all theaters. I wouldn't think many circulate beyond the single auditorium, as the climate system usually has a thermostat in each room to control each individual room.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/odds-catching-covid-19-flight-wellness-scn/index.html

I think the potential problem will be that there’s such a wide variety in builds and ventilation systems in different theaters that the risk inherent in each location may be different. A brand new build might have great circulation and systems that can be easily upgraded to better filters. An older build where walls were thrown up haphazardly to turn one auditorium into four might not. And where planes are designed with some of the most sophisticated air dispersal systems ever created, movie theaters are generally not. It’s also a lot easier to enforce masks on a plane than in a darkened theater.

I can stomach the risk of going food shopping because a) we need food and b) I’m indoors in a confined space for a limited time period with other people who are also coming through briefly. I am much more concerned about stopping and sitting in place with strangers for hours at a time. If it’s not safe for me to invite a friend or a relative I trust to come into my home, how smart of an idea is it for me to go sit indoors with people I don’t know or trust?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That chart makes me sad because from the look of it, this is going to make things worse before they get better.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I get why you would think that, but actually, no. Because Universal did provide the infamous Trolls World Tour to drive-ins, you would think they would have done the same for this film. But for some strange reason, that was not the case, and it caused headaches for drive-in owners. See the weird story: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/...-pulled-from-theaters-judd-apatow-1234633013/
That solves a little mystery for me; I'd been planning to see The King of Staten Island at the drive-in, but they pulled it from the schedule the day before it was supposed to debut. Now I know why.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The King's Man is now coming out on February 26, 2021. I guess Disney only wants to sacrifice one movie to COVID.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Good. Maybe I actually get to see that one, if we get lucky and there's a vaccine before then. It's not one of the biggest titles I was anticipating this fall, but I would certainly have seen it if it was safe.

Also, the first Kingsman did very well for itself in the February slot back in 2015, so they know the franchise has played successfully there in the past.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Looks like New Jersey is going to open theaters by 9/14 (possibly even sooner) according to Governor Murphy.

How ironic that they'll reopen but there won't really be a bigger studio release until (maybe) October 2. Though I Imagine that the citizens of the Garden State will see Tenet even if it's a couple weeks late.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Though I Imagine that the citizens of the Garden State will see Tenet even if it's a couple weeks late.

Deadline cited that as one of the reasons Disney moved The King's Man to next year -- when the markets that are currently closed do reopen, they'll want to book Tenet first, which will take most of the screens due to capacity requirements.

Personally, I think it's a terrible idea for theaters to be open at all right now. The science is not telling us we're there yet, but theoretical profits are demanding that they open anyway. That being said, I would love to be wrong and for everyone who goes to a movie to stay well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks