Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
At AMC, the Coca-Cola freestyle machine can be remote-controlled by your smart phone by scanning a QR code on the machine and it pulls up the drink selections, and a Pour button on the smart phone screen. Pretty nifty!
Thanks for the tip! Of all my movie theater fears, catching the COVID from the Freestyle machine is low - I use my knuckle instead of my finger anyway! :D - but if I can avoid it, I will!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
bring a small container of hand sanitizer with you and use it before and after using the Coke freestyle machine.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
bring a small container of hand sanitizer with you and use it before and after using the Coke freestyle machine.
The AMCs near me have wipes - I guess they have hand sanitizer as well.

As our understanding of COVID has evolved, I've become way less concerned I'd get it because I touched a "contaminated" surface.

Sure, it's possible, but transmission seems to be hugely slanted toward person-to-person via coughs, sneezes, etc.

Have there actually been documented cases where it was clear someone got COVID because they touched a contaminated surface?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah and that never happens in a theater. ;)
Of course it does, but distance will be a factor, as the seating is set up so you can't be close to a stranger.

Also, everyone faces the same way, and that should impact transmission. Seems logical most transmission would be from people who face you, not those behind you...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Not about cinemas specifically, but the same principle would seem to apply...
Not really. Bus = much smaller space than auditorium with people more tightly packed.

Seems like it's gonna be easier for recirculated air to infect in a fairly small space like a bus vs. a large movie auditorium....

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not really. Bus = much smaller space than auditorium with people more tightly packed.

Seems like it's gonna be easier for recirculated air to infect in a fairly small space like a bus vs. a large movie auditorium....
That event is also from January, when the virus had barely been discovered/recognized and certainly no one was taking any precautions of any kind.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I wonder how many people venturing out to theaters have underlying conditions.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
Seems logical most transmission would be from people who face you, not those behind you...
What?

Someone can breath on you or sneeze or cough on you from behind you.

Not sure if you’re being facetious but that comment makes no sense even a little bit.

• Agreed
Reactions: Tino

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
What?

Someone can breath on you or sneeze or cough on you from behind you.

Not sure if you’re being facetious but that comment makes no sense even a little bit.
Sure, it does. You have to get exposure to the germs in your face.

If the germs hit the back of your head, you're less exposed than if they hit you in the face...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Still close enough to get infected from an asymptomatic carrier.
Not sure why asymptomatic has to do with it.

Symptomatic or a-, if you're a good distance from them, your risk is reduced.

If the nearest person is 9 feet away, there's not a lot of risk...

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Not sure why asymptomatic has to do with it.

Symptomatic or a-, if you're a good distance from them, your risk is reduced.

If the nearest person is 9 feet away, there's not a lot of risk...
Because if you’re symptomatic you wouldn’t be in the theater.

And the point is there is still a risk.

• Agreed
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't miss the theaters that much
I do. But I also want to be able to see all the movies that are going to come out after the pandemic is eventually over. So I'm looking at missing these as a necessary evil in order to save myself to be able to see those. Tenet is worth something, but it's not worth being the last movie I ever see in a theater, which it would turn into if I get the virus and die.

Reactions: Tino

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Because if you’re symptomatic you wouldn’t be in the theater.

And the point is there is still a risk.
Of course there's some risk - never said there wasn't.

I just think the risk is less substantial than you do.

If I'm in a large room with 12 other people, all of whom sit 10 feet or more from me, I think the risk is minimal...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
To everyone who is going back to theaters right now, I say with the utmost sincerity, good luck.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaybernz