What's new

Movies & Cinema during the Pandemic? Catch-all Discussion (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You assume incorrectly, As I posted earlier, I tried to reserve a seat between 2 that were taken and the app allowed me to do so.

I tried to buy a seat next to a strange for a recliner show as well - and it allowed me to do so.

I don't what locations you've checked, but the ones in Alexandria and Tysons VA are on the "honor system" - the app does nothing to stop you from buying seats next to those reserved by strangers, whether in traditional or recliner settings...
Did you go farther than just choosing the seat next to someone? I was able to choose the seats but when I went to the checkout, it gave me an error saying that the seats were taken.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Did you go farther than just choosing the seat next to someone? I was able to choose the seats but when I went to the checkout, it gave me an error saying that the seats were taken.

I didn't go "all the way" and pay for the tickets, but I went to the payment screen - I stopped before I gave credit card info. Does it shoot you down when you click final payment?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't go "all the way" and pay for the tickets, but I went to the payment screen - I stopped before I gave credit card info. Does it shoot you down when you click final payment?
I only went to the screen right after you pick your seats and that would already stop me from taking one next to any seat that was already sold.

It's one thing if this a very dumb error but if they're letting people sit next to each other in regular theater seating, I think Fred Madison (or is it Pete Dayton?) sums it up nicely:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I only went to the screen right after you pick your seats and that would already stop me from taking one next to any seat that was already sold.

Definitely not the case for the AMCs local to me. Just tried again out of curiosity, and the app indeed let me buy a seat right between 2 that're already sold!

And this time I went the whole way and completed the purchase, so it doesn't stop me at any point...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Definitely not the case for the AMCs local to me. Just tried again out of curiosity, and the app indeed let me buy a seat right between 2 that're already sold!

And this time I went the whole way and completed the purchase, so it doesn't stop me at any point...
If that's the way that it's designed to be, that's some crazy logic they've got there. "We set the seating up so that every other row is skipped... buuuut there is still a stranger's head 14 inches away from your face on both sides of every available seat." "Sounds good!"

I'm sure that both are probably about equally dangerous but I'd much rather have someone two feet in front of me than inches away on either side of me. Standard movie theater seats are so close that you share an armrest with the person next to you. I see people on Twitter talking about how movie theaters will be super spreader events and based on how I thought seating would be set up, I found that to be a little hyperbolic (if not borderline fear mongering) but having seats that close together in the middle of a pandemic certainly makes it possible.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If that's the way that it's designed to be, that's some crazy logic they've got there. "We set the seating up so that every other row is skipped... buuuut there is still a stranger's head 14 inches away from your face on both sides of every available seat." "Sounds good!"

I'm sure that both are probably about equally dangerous but I'd much rather have someone two feet in front of me than inches away on either side of me. Standard movie theater seats are so close that you share an armrest with the person next to you. I see people on Twitter talking about how movie theaters will be super spreader events and based on how I thought seating would be set up, I found that to be a little hyperbolic (if not borderline fear mongering) but having seats that close together in the middle of a pandemic certainly makes it possible.

Seats in the back row are the way to go! No one behind you to cough/sneeze on you! :lol:

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Going to almost any theater in Manhattan on a normal weekday before 4pm pretty much guaranteed there being less than 25% capacity, even for new releases filling 8 or 10 theaters in one location (AMC 42nd st, Regal 42nd st). The majority of the people seemed to be greater than age 50, like myself. Right now I say I won't go, but I also went 7 months without a haircut. Once I went, all was fine since precautions were taken.

So if it turns out people start getting ill from going to the movies, that's it. However there remains the chance I may find myself seeing West Side Story in January at one of the big 42nd street theaters.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Same here. If they want to play new releases, they have to be digital. If they still run film, they'd only be able to play retro titles.

The new 4K 3D version of the first Harry Potter film took in over $13.6 million in China this weekend.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Same here. If they want to play new releases, they have to be digital. If they still run film, they'd only be able to play retro titles.
Yeah, the closest drive-in to me (about 50 miles away) only does 35mm and they've been playing great old stuff for years now. They might not have Unhinged this coming week but they are playing Scanners, Explorers and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. The next week has a live Q&A with Bruce Campbell (who is on a tour of drive-ins) and all the Evil Deads and Beetlejuice.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Even though theaters here in Virginia will reopen, the real IMAX screen at the VA branch of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum stays shuttered.

So I guess I'll have to see "Tenet" LIEMAX!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Even though theaters here in Virginia will reopen, the real IMAX screen at the VA branch of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum stays shuttered.

So I guess I'll have to see "Tenet" LIEMAX!
You're lucky, I'm going to have to see Tenet Drive-In.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The new 4K 3D version of the first Harry Potter film took in over $13.6 million in China this weekend.

This is significant for two reasons:

1) Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone is now about $2 million shy of hitting $1 billion worldwide in cumulative grosses from all releases. It is currently #47 all-time worldwide with a reported gross of $997 million. Even before this current re-release started, it was the highest-grossing film ever that has not surpassed a billion dollars total. Coincidentally, if and when it hits a billion, the highest-grossing non-billion-dollar film will then become Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 with $989 million.

2) The continued success of Harry Potter in China indicates that fans there have not abandoned the series despite J.K. Rowling's recent controversial Twitter statements. This is probably good news for her because she has four new books out this fall (two totally new things and two illustrated reissues of Harry titles.). I'm curious to see how these sell in comparison to her earlier books and if there will be a negative impact. I disagree with her recent statements and wish she felt differently. However, I'm too much of a fan and Harry Potter has meant too much to my life not to continue reading her. So I'll be getting the two new books but leaving the umpteenth Harry re-releases.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You're lucky, I'm going to have to see Tenet Drive-In.

Unless I hate it - which seems highly unlikely since I've liked every Nolan movie - I'll see "Tenet" a 2nd time when it hits real IMAX - whenever that is.

I guess it's possible the Air & Space IMAX screen stays closed for so long that "Tenet" never reaches it, but I doubt it. Even if it doesn't reopen until 2021, I think they'll show "Tenet". Might be a short engagement, but I'm sure they'll get it at some point!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo addressed the prospect of reopening movie theaters during a news conference in Manhattan on Monday, saying they’re “not that high on the list of essentials” and pose a higher risk of spreading COVID-19.

“I am sure there is a whole group people who say, ‘I cannot live without going to the movies.’ But on a relative risk scale, a movie theater is less essential and poses a high risk,” Cuomo said. “It is congregant. It is one ventilation system. You are seated there for a long period of time. Even if you are at 50% capacity with one or two seats between the two of you, this is a risk situation and … movie theaters are not that high on the list of essentials.”

There are currently 1,386 out of 6,021 theaters open across the country, 316 of them being drive-in theaters. AMC, Cinemark and Regal intend to be fully operational by late August, but the coast is still unclear in New York City.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo addressed the prospect of reopening movie theaters during a news conference in Manhattan on Monday, saying they’re “not that high on the list of essentials” and pose a higher risk of spreading COVID-19.

“I am sure there is a whole group people who say, ‘I cannot live without going to the movies.’ But on a relative risk scale, a movie theater is less essential and poses a high risk,” Cuomo said. “It is congregant. It is one ventilation system. You are seated there for a long period of time. Even if you are at 50% capacity with one or two seats between the two of you, this is a risk situation and … movie theaters are not that high on the list of essentials.”
That's hardly a surprise. The dumbest shit that NATO ever did was sue New Jersey because it just made NJ and NY even less inclined to allow theaters to reopen. Utterly moronic.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I believe that movie theaters are an essential part of our culture. But they should only be opened when it is safe, and right now, it's not safe. So, I completely agree with Cuomo on this. I wish the other governors of other states would be similarly sensible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks