What's new

AMC A-List & other theater subscriptions (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
How do I cancel our MoviePass subscriptions?

Here is what Google/MoviePass says:
https://support.moviepass.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001124451-How-do-I-cancel-my-account-
"
  • You can cancel your account by going to the Account tab, and then the “Account Details” section."
There appears to me no such thing as an "Account tab" or even a place on their website to login - only links to "Get Started" to subscribe to a new account. The whole thing is very close to a fraud right now.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The whole thing is very close to a fraud right now.

It's been past that for a long time in my opinion -- which is why I never joined up with them.

I suspect the account tab is probably there IF you can figure out how to log in and where to find it once you do find it. But obviously, Movie Pass would prefer that you not find it because they want to keep taking your money, so they're going to make it as difficult as possible for you to find it.

Good luck.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, they've pretty much been a fraud since they started changing their terms because people actually were using the service as it was originally promoted and sold (imagine that).

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
MoviePass has just introduced its new plans for 2019:

All Access
: $119.95/yr gets you unlimited 3 2D movies/month. Reg. price after Jan. is $179.40
Red Carpet: $149.95/yr gets you unlimited 3 2D movies/month including 1 IMAX or Real D 3D. Reg. price after Jan. is $239.40.

You cannot charge your payment to your credit/debit card. Now you have to submit your bank info.

Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to promise that they will not change their plan half way through the year. The last movie I saw under movie pass was incredibles 2. When I disputed the charge with my credit card company I got a multi page reply copying info from movie pass showing that I had used the product a lot through early June. Not as much as many of you but at least 20 or 30 times. The fact that they changed their plan to make it worthless didn’t seem to cut it with citi bank.

Unfortunately there is no AMC in my area and regal does not as yet have a plan of any kind as far as I know.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
How do I cancel our MoviePass subscriptions?

Here is what Google/MoviePass says:
https://support.moviepass.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001124451-How-do-I-cancel-my-account-
"
  • You can cancel your account by going to the Account tab, and then the “Account Details” section."
There appears to me no such thing as an "Account tab" or even a place on their website to login - only links to "Get Started" to subscribe to a new account. The whole thing is very close to a fraud right now.

I believe they're referring to the Account tab within the app; I do not believe there is a place to cancel the membership outside of the app.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I believe they're referring to the Account tab within the app; I do not believe there is a place to cancel the membership outside of the app.
So I couldn't even log into the iPhone app - it told my account was no longer active and asked me to activate it. I checked my CC bill, and was last charged $70.05 for the "annual" service fee in January of 2018.
If a new charge materializes next month, I'll dispute it with the CC co...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
From the email I got about their new service, credit cards are no longer accepted - you have to pay with a bank transfer. So I would guess that the odds of your credit card being charged again are low. That said, I'd definitely look over that bill closely to be sure there's nothing to dispute.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My A-list movie with my wife today was The Favourite, which we both thought was well acted and had wonderful production design and costume design, but which lacked likable characters. B+

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
but which lacked likable characters

Did you go in expecting to like them? The trailers made it pretty clear to me that all three central characters were going to be awful. I thought that enhanced the hilarity of watching them constantly try to one-up each other. I made a thread for the film a while back if you'd like to discuss it in more detail.

Last edited:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
From the email I got about their new service, credit cards are no longer accepted - you have to pay with a bank transfer. So I would guess that the odds of your credit card being charged again are low. That said, I'd definitely look over that bill closely to be sure there's nothing to dispute.
I'm not so sure about that. The only people they don't lose money on are the people who have kind of forgotten about it or are too lazy to go through the hassle of cancelling. Telling people that they need to provide a bank account and routing number or their account will be cancelled makes it way too easy for people to back out.

I'm thinking that as people's credit cards expire, that's when they'll be forced to change to bank transfer. I could be wrong though.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Good luck with that.

I'm amazed you stuck it out this long.
Landmark e-ticketing was the only reason. It was a nice companion to A-List because it's the only place I can see certain films. Actually I just went back and looked and I've only been using 2 of my 3 per month for the last several months. So while $5 per movie was still a savings, it's not the end of the world.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Which is exactly why they want users like you to cancel, and want infrequent users who forget that they have it but keep paying (who's that?) to sign up.
I can't say I blame them. However, when their CEO went on CNBC a year ago to promote the service and said "You can go see a movie every day of the month if you've got that kind of time", then I don't feel guilty for going an average of 5 times per month. :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can't say I blame them. However, when their CEO went on CNBC a year ago to promote the service and said "You can go see a movie every day of the month if you've got that kind of time", then I don't feel guilty for going an average of 5 times per month. :)

Agreed! I did Movie Pass for about 7 months and managed 29 movies. I got my monies worth and don't feel bad at it at all. I followed the terms of service and saw some stuff I would not have seen otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks