What's new

Movie never released on any home video format (1 Viewer)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
My most-wanted: Make Way for Tomorrow (Leo McCarey/1937/Paramount). Rights are currently held by Universal.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
David Blackwell,

I think "Billion Dollar Brain" is a UA title which means it's in MGM's hands. It is definitely NOT a Paramount release, despite it being part of the "Harry Palmer" series.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
BIGGER THAN LIFE directed by Nichoals Ray (his follow-up to REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE) and starring James Mason in his greatest role (besides LOLITA). I had the pleasure of seeing this subversive little film at Seattle's GRAND ILLUSION a few years ago.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I mentioned in another thread that

Porgy and Bess

is controlled by the Gershwin estate, which would like to see the movie destroyed. Barring that, they're letting it decompose so it will never be seen again. I'm not sure why -- it isn't that bad.

I saw it on television, when I was a teenager (in the 70s).

Charles H

Screenwriter
WHERES CHARLEY? (1952), a terrific Frank Loesser musical with Ray Bolger, reprising his most famous stage role and signature song ("Once in Love with Amy...") (WB) and a previous version of the Brandon Thomas play, CHARLEY'S AUNT (1941) with Jack Benny in one of his best screen roles. (Fox)
Some Bob Hope movies: THE IRON PETTICOAT (1956) pairs him with Katharine Hepburn!! (WB/MGM) Cole Porter's LET'S FACE IT with Betty Hutton. And NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH (1941). (Universal/Paramount)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Mark, MGM did do a test disc of the Billion Dollar Brain back in 2001, but they dropped plans for a 2002 DVD release due to a supposed lack of interest. It also doesn't help that I also read that Funeral In Berlin is OOP in the US. I just wish MGM would license out the movie for some other outfit to release on DVD if MGM isn't going to do it.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i've always wonderd how does a studio decide there is "a lack of interest"

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
David,

That's just plain daft. "Me & The Kid" with Danny Aiello is coming out in the next few months. Who the HELL is buying that, particularly compared to "Billion Dollar Brain"? I just don't get that rationale.

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Slither (1972) with James Cann , Sally Kellerman, Peter Boyle...

I haven't seen it since it's theatrical release - sure was funny in a Coen Brothers style....

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
I would like DOC with Harris Yulin as Wyatt Earp, Stacy Keach as Doc Holiday and Faye Dunnaway as Big Nose Kate Elder. This used to be a United Artist film directed by Frank Perry and as whacked out a version of this story as you could possibly imagine.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Some previously unmentioned, still unannounced MIAs from the 60s-70s:
Dusty and Sweets McGee
Capone (1975)
Little Fauss and Big Halsy
Man on a Swing
Pretty Poison
Corky
Wanda
Joanna
Play It as It Lays
Ladybug, Ladybug
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
The Gravy Train
Gaily, Gaily
Cattle Annie and Little Britches
H.E.A.L.T.H.
A Perfect Couple
Almost Summer
Remember My Name
The Crazy World of Julius Vrooder
Fighting Mad
Dealing: Or the Berkeley...--very long title
Bunny Lake is Missing
Such Good Friends
That Summer
-Jon

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
I mentioned in another thread that Porgy and Bess

is controlled by the Gershwin estate, which would like to see the movie destroyed. Barring that, they're letting it decompose so it will never be seen again. I'm not sure why -- it isn't that bad.

I saw it on television, when I was a teenager (in the 70s).
That's worst case of censorship I've ever heard... I can't believe they're letting this film die, can they allowed that in America.

While we're stuck with so many bullshit films that keep getting re-release to DVD.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
John beat me to Bunny Lake Is Missing. I listen to a psych station on the net and they always play the commercial that the Zombies did for the film. It was directed by Otto Preminger and stars Laurence Olivier so what's the deal? I doubt the Zombies are holding up the release.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Still plenty more from the 60s-80s. I don't think any of these have had any sort of video release either:
Uncle Joe Shannon
Slow Dancing in the City
Nickelodeon
When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder
John and Mary
Lucky Lady
At Long Last Love
Deadhead Miles - written by one Terence Malick
-J

Jodee

Screenwriter
Still plenty more from the 60s-80s. I don't think any of these have had any sort of video release either:
Nickelodeon
At Long Last Love
:emoji_thumbsup:
I also agree with these. Not sure if you have a region-free player, but Nickelodeon came out recently in R2 with a nice widescreen transfer. I wish Columbia would release here and get Bogdanovich to do a commentary.
And Fox really needs to release At Long Last Love. I see they recently announced several other musicals, many of them considered "flops". At Long Last Love deserves to finally get a video release, it has been away from the public for over 25 years, only shown on TV in rare instances. I managed to record it last year when Fox Movie Channel aired it.

rockinricky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Edwards
Has Dirty Mary Crazy Larry ever been released on video? IMDB says no.
Edit: Apparently Magnetic Video released it, but I don't remember.

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Some Alec Guinness titles:
A Run For Your Money (1949)
Our Man in Havana (1959)
Twelfth Night (1969)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks