What's new

Movie never released on any home video format (1 Viewer)

Rob Ray

Agent
Add these musicals to the list. To the best of my knowledge, there are no rights problems with any of these:

Darling Lili
Half a Sixpence
Hollywood Hotel
Call Me Madam
Follow Thru
Love Me Tonight

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Three notable additions:
SANDS OF THE KALAHARI (1965-British) excellent adventure film, from the director (Cy Enfield) and star (Stanley Baker) of ZULU ('64)
ZOO IN BUDAPEST (1933) striking romance/drama from director Roland V. Lee (SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, TOWER OF LONDON ('39)), starring Loretta Young. Has the look of silent classics like SUNRISE.
PLAY DIRTY (1968-British) gritty WWII adventure drama, starring Michael Caine, directed by Andre de Toth (HOUSE OF WAX), produced by Harry Saltzman (the first 8 Bond films, THE IPCRESS FILE, CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, etc).

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
My most-wanted film that has never been released on home video in any format: Sunn Classic Pictures' somewhat cheesey 1975 Bigfoot documentary "The Mysterious Monsters."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ron, The Nude Bomb was released on laser disc and Larry, so was Mirage which was double billed on a laser disc with The List Of Adrian Messenger.
i will verify both. i have the double feature laser and almost bought the nude bomb when laser's edge or eavslaser.com had it on sale for less then $5

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Barrie , Maltin's book isn't very reliable. I've seen TONS of films that were released on Laserdisc but didn't have the LD icon by it in the listing.

Jay E, El Topo and Holy Mountain were both released on Laserdisc and recently on DVD in Italy (PAL).

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
BUSTING is available on VHS as an "Amazon Exclusive," through Amazon.com along with a number of other titles.

Brenton

Screenwriter
The Dreamer of Oz: The L. Frank Baum Story
Starring John Ritter
I would go on a hunger strike for this one.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
NEVER RELEASED TO VIDEO IN ANY FORMAT:
A High Wind In Jamaica (Alexander Mackendrick)
Friends of Eddie Coyle (Peter Yates)
Edge of the City (Martin Ritt)
Our Mother's House (Jack Clayton)
to name a few, and don't even get me started on the foreign films that need to be released...

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I forgot about The Friends of Eddie Coyle. Saw that on AMC years ago (back when the channel didn't have commercial interruptions, etc.) and was blown away.

I've seen The Gong Show Movie on a boot they rent for free at CineFile in West LA. The dub is horrible and the movie, sadly, isn't much better.

Isn't the third Michael Caine/Harry Palmer film, the John Boorman-directed "Billion Dollar Brain," also MIA on video? I think MGM has the rights.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the Rolling Stones documentary Cocksucker Blues has ever been released on home video. Heck, it's next to impossible to exhibit theatrically...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Night My Number Came Up (1954, Ealing Films, Leslie Norman)
Man dreams his plane will crash. The dream then appears to come true...
Don Quixote (1957, Russian version, Grigori Kozintsev)
Cervante's monumental masterpiece. This is the best film version. Shot in Sovscope and Agfacolor.
Gordy

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I think someone already mentioned this, but one I've been wanting for a while: Love Me Tonight (1932)
One of the many early Paramount films that Universal wants to sit on... :angry:

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah, this came out on laser paired with Monster from a Prehistoric Planet (Gappa), and by itself on VHS. Orion released both of them. Pan & Scan on both, of course :frowning: .

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (it's hard to be certain, from this side of the Atlantic), but I don't think Paramount's 1933 version of Alice In Wonderland has ever been released on a home video format, nor the 1956 Michael Radford adaptation of 1984.
Both of these are relatively high profile titles (Alice because of its star-studded cast, primarily), and both I believe were supressed because subsequent adaptations prevented their re-release.
Alice in Wonderland surfaced again recently on one of the Turner film channels, but I don't think 1984 has had a legitimate release or screening anywhere for a very long time.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The wonderful 1984 comedy Nothing Lasts Forever starring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd, directed by Tom Schiller (those Schiller's Reel films on SNL). It wasn't even released in theaters in the US, even though it was a wonderful film. It was invited to play at the Cannes Directors' fortnight two years in a row, but MGM wouldn't let it play there.
I think the rights are now with Turner. Several companies have made offers to release it on video - to no avail.
You'll have just as hard of a time finding a bootleg.
I love the movie - especially Bill Murray as a lunar tour guide (who takes tourists on bus rides to the moon).

Mark W

Auditioning
Sam Fuller's "White Dog" -- which ran into problems of its own because of the subject matter -- is another one.
Actually, WHITE DOG has been released on video in various countries outside the U.S. The most desirable version is the Mexican VHS, which features the original English-language soundtrack. The picture and sound quality are very nice, but the hideous cover photo makes it look like a horror film. I found my copy in the bargain bin at a Mexico City Blockbuster.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Rob,

HALF A SIXPENCE was released on tape by Paramount. I have a Beta copy. Would be nice to see a widescreen anamorphic release on DVD, though.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Right, and Half a Sixpence was still in print a few years ago, when i picked up a 'desparation, i can't believe this is vhs and p and s' copy.

I've been waiting for an old Frederic March film,
ONE FOOT IN HEAVEN...and an old WB musical, ONE SUNDAY AFTERNOON....The nonmusical version of that, STRAWBERRY BLONDE is available, but...that isn't the one i want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks