What's new

Movie Death Scenes that really got to you... (1 Viewer)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

Wow, way to suck the emotion right out of that death scene :)

I read all three books, but honestly didn't know that. Maybe I missed it along the way.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I read all three books, but honestly didn't know that. Maybe I missed it along the way.
I think it's actually covered in The Silmarillion. It doesn't really change much for me since it's not like the elves have some blase attitude about dying because they know where they'll end up afterward. Kind of like how most people who believe in Heaven still aren't in any great rush to get killed. Or something like that :)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Wow, way to suck the emotion right out of that death scene
Heh, sorry.

Andy is right. It's covered in The Silmarillion. I don't think they have a blase attitude about it but it's not a question of belief for the elves, it's a matter of fact. Despite the fact Haldir wasn't supposed to be there, I wasn't affected at all. I just thought, 'now he doesn't have to take the boat.'

If you enjoyed Lord of the Rings, I highly suggest getting The Silmarillion. The first part is slow going but the book covers everything from creation to the beginning of the Third Age, which is when the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings take place. It's a great book and it answers a lot of questions that people may ask. Who is the Luthien Aragorn sings of and whose grave he visits? What was the watchtower of Amun Sul? What are the palantiri (the seeing stones)? What is "the secret fire" and the "flame of Anor"? Why is there animosity between the dwarves and elves? Why is Aragorn king of all the realms of men? Who were the men depicted in those giant statues? Why does Galadriel say she passed a test and will diminish? There are zillions more but The Silmarillion serves to enrich the whole trilogy like nothing else can. Get it!

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I have to second, from Saving Private Ryan,
Giovanni Ribisi's demise. The fact that he was a medic and thus entirely conscious of the severity of his wounds is what makes that scene wrenching for me. It doesn't make me cry - it just ties my stomach in knots and makes me feel uncomfortable. Particularly when he starts crying and calling for his mother. None of the other characters' deaths affected me as much, including Hanks at the end.

Also, it's also probably not a spoiler to say that the end of Dead Man Walking is a doozy and a half. Simply incredible work from Sean Penn. Simply incredible.

--Jefferson Morris

chris rick

Second Unit
I think that anyone who has seen Irreversible would agree that the scene with the fire extinguisher will do things to your emotions that no movie ever has. I have never seen something so unflinching and chilling in a film.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
OMG , I can't believe I forgot this one and I can't believe nobody else has brought it up either.
Tom Hanks in Philadelphia.
I watched this last night and I was sniffling for the last 15 minutes of it.

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
Ghost in the Shell

When the robot rips Kosanga (sp)apart

The Professional

When Matilda's family get shot and when Leon say's "This is from Maltida" and hands the dirty cop a grenade pin.

Conan The Barbarian

When they chopped off Conan's mom head while she was still holding on to his hand (when he was young) and when his wife is cremated in the prye.

ROTJ

When Yoda dies

The Hustler

When Eddy's girlfriend (Laura Piper) kills herself in the hotel room

BladeRunner

When Pris get shot and Roy dies on the rooftop

StephenA

Screenwriter
Grave of the Fireflies:

The death of Setsuko

No child should have to go through what she did. What a terrible and sad way for such a young child to go.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest:

The death of Randle

This showed that he got through to Chief Bromden. He didn't wanna see Randle in that state, so he did what he had to.

Friday the 13th part 6:

The death of the goofy paintball player.

Go Ahead and laugh at me for this choice, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy. He really didn't deserve what happened to him.

Gladiator:

The death of Maximus

He lived an honorable life till the day he died, and the way he was punked by Commodus really sucked. Commodus was such a sneaky guy, and got what was coming to him, and I'm glad Maximus was the one to do it.

Attack of the Clones:

The death of Shmi

I think I'd end up losing it like Anakin and do the same thing. She was definitely tortured, and it makes it all the more painful to lose her. Glad she got to see Anakin one more time before she died. Imagine how much more Anakin would have lost it and gone down the wrong path if he never got to see his mother after her passing.

A New Hope:

The Death of Obi-Wan Kenobi

He knew he couldn't defeat Darth Vader, so sacrificiing himself was the only way that he help the rebellion.

Return of the Jedi:

The death of Yoda

He got to see the start of the new breed of Jedi and Luke's training being pretty much complete. He knew that all would end up being right in the end so he knew it was his time to go.

Return of the Jedi:

The death of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader

This can be considered two deaths in a way. When Darth Vader threw Palpatine over the edge, he ceased to be and essentially died, and Anakin Skywalker, who redeemed himself by killing Palpatine and saving Luke.

Those are the only ones I could think of right now. I'll post more when I think of them.

Nathan Gillmore

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy unafraid to admit he cries during movies! You've all listed the major ones for me (Titanic, FOTR, Saving Private Ryn, We Were Soldiers, etc.), but I wanted to mention one I've watched lately that had me in tears several times: Band of Brothers

The interviews with the real guys that went through it really choked me up, especially when they would choke up. It's one thing to see Hanks and the like act these stories out and do well enough to evoke an emotional response in you, but entirely another thing to see the guys that actually went through it all talk about it.

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Platoon:
Willem Dafoe's death.

JFK:
The examining of the shooting in the trial, with repeated footage of JFK being shot in the head.

Goodfellas:
Joe Pesci getting his head shot off.

Forest Gump:
Of course, Bubba!

Do The Right Thing:
When Radio Raheem gets strangled to death by the NYPD.

and of course, Robocop:
Murphy's long, bloody, death. (if you watched the X rated one)

Menace II Society:
The end shootout that kills nearly everyone.

Leon:
Leons Death/Suicide

Glory:
The End scene in which all the characters you learned to love, die.

Ghandi:
When a man is confessing to Ghandi that he smashed a kids head in.

AdeleW

Auditioning
I agree with a lot of people on these:

SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!

Tom Hanks in Philadelphia

Robin Wright ( with Tom ) in Forrest Gump - the grave scene gets me

Titanic -
not Jacks death so much as everyone else - especially when Ioan Gruffold ( 5th Officer )- says " we waited too long". Oh and the final sequence too - I'm such a sap. (If it were me - I'd take Billy Zane anyday LOL )

Glory :
Matthew Brodericks character ( Gould Shaw ), Denzel Washington's and Andre Braugher's characters all at the end - heart wrenching.

Dances With Wolves :
I hated to see Timmons go, as well as Cisco (the horse ) and Two Socks.

Midnight Clear : also heart-wrenching. A woefully underrated movie.

Steel Magnolias: when Sally Field wails - I lose it

oh too many to list in one thought :)

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Not a "serious" movie by any means, but I can't belive that nobody has brought up Goose's death
in Top Gun.

When I first saw that movie at the ripe old age of 12, I swear that was the saddest thing I had ever seen! :frowning:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Adele - thanks for the reminder about GLORY. Matthew Broderick's performance in this film is so very excellent, and I don't feel he's ever been given proper credit for it. The moments when he is atop his horse just before the final attack, as he watches the seagulls flying free, knowing beyond doubt that he is about to give his life, is incredibly poignant.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, the scene didn't bring me to tears but it always moves me and I find it very disturbing:

Full Metal Jacket
When the sniper is picking Eightball apart.

Scenes that have brought a tear to my eye...

FOTR
Boromir's death

Platoon
Willem Dafoe's death

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
I've watched lately that had me in tears several times: Band of Brothers

The interviews with the real guys that went through it really choked me up, especially when they would choke up. It's one thing to see Hanks and the like act these stories out and do well enough to evoke an emotional response in you, but entirely another thing to see the guys that actually went through it all talk about it.
Nathan -- I couldn't agree more. It's so moving and sad that these guys still are obviously feeling some of the pain 50 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks