What's new

Mother sues Nintendo for death of her 30 year old son. (1 Viewer)

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/1646478.html
BATON ROUGE, LA. A Louisiana woman is suing Nintendo, alleging her 30-year-old son suffered seizures after playing video games for eight hours a day, six days a week.
The lawsuit filed in federal court says the man died last year after hitting his head and mouth on a table during one of the seizures. It claims the man never had seizures before buying a Nintendo-64 player in 1999.
His mother is seeking unspecified damages for her own medical and funeral expenses, for mental and emotional anguish, and for her son's lost future earnings.
I am surprised the suite even made it this far!
Future earnings? Twice nothing is still nothing. How could he have a job playing that much?
Also Nintendo had epilepsy warnings back in the days of the SNES 11 years ago!

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I hope Nintendo does not settle out of court, even if the costs would be less than pursuing a trial. It's called integrity. She knows she has no ground to stand on, and is just hoping that Nintendo will pay up to keep her from making a media circus out of this.

This worthless excuse for a woman is the epitome of the flaws evident in the American legal system. She shames her son's name with this lawsuit, and I hope she ends up a little poorer because of it.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Just like the idiots who sue tobacco companies after their family member died of smoking related cancer.

...except those idiots actually won. How f'd up is the world?

TonyG

Auditioning
It's a silly suit and there are many other silly suits in the United States. However, the dangers of smoking are a couple orders of magnitude larger than the threat of Nintendo, and I'm not going to miss much sleep over the tobacco companies losing money.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I can't help but think "Darwin Award" candidate when I read about the Nintendo suit.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I feel sympathy for the lady, but based on the wording of the excerpt, it sounds like this wasn't his first seizure. At that point, I think its more his fault.

Its just like the cigarette smoking thing. When you realize its bad, stop doing it or be held responsible.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
don't all Nintendo products come with a booklet that carries, among other things, a warning for people that have suffered seizures due to gameplay... NOT TO play? (Isn't it common sense?)
If so... this person has NO case. :rolleyes

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Just imagine the damages if hey played on the Dreamcast...

REZ, Space Channel 5...

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Re-iterating what Sean said, It's a known that fact the tobacco companies knew their product was harmful and most importantly, that it was addictive. Not a fair analogy in this case.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Re-iterating what Sean said, It's a known that fact the tobacco companies knew their product was harmful and most importantly, that it was addictive.
:rolleyes
To quote airplane:
"They bought their tickets, they new what they were getting into, I say let 'em crash"
Back to THIS thread. This mother just wants money. This was posted on fark.com last week and some of the comments were absolutely hilarious. 30 year old? Living with mother, playing video games literally all day long. Hmmm...what future income? Whoever said Darwin is right on.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
This dude (THIRTY years old!!!) had seizures before and his mommy didn't even DO anything about them and still continued to let him play video games for 8 hours a day?! I think she should be arrested and locked away for criminal negligence. Any mentally stable mom would have made their thirty year old son get a frickin' job.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
This isn't the place for this but...

Re: the tobacco company subtopic I accidentally started

Yes, the tobacco companies are evil and they lied about their product. Still, we've always known smoking wasn't good for you...as bad as the tobacco companies acted I still blame the user for their own problems. They made a choice.

Even before there was scientific evidence confirming the impact of smoking on the body we knew it was bad.

And yes...I have lost family to tobacco deaths. I blame the individual...not some company.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Yes, the tobacco companies are evil and they lied about their product. Still, we've always known smoking wasn't good for you...as bad as the tobacco companies acted I still blame the user for their own problems. They made a choice.
Amen brother.
I was going to post something almost along these exact same lines. You beat me to it.
What imbecils in this country, didn't know that cigarettes were bad for them?!!? :confused: That warning on the side of the carton/pack give any indications? How about all the millions of people that have died from lung cancer and damn near every single one was linked to cigarette smoking? Just a coincidence?
You smoke, you die, your problem.
Want a solution? Don't smoke.
I personally hate cigarette smoke but, it's your lungs, your money and your life. Do what ya want. Just don't blow it in my face.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Back to topic, the mother should have done something before her son died. And if she didn't, the son should have.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Maybe the guy just accidentally killed himself after a few minutes of playing the copy of Superman or Carmageddon 64 he had just payed $60.00 for. It says he was banging his head against a table, right?

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
This worthless excuse for a woman is the epitome of the flaws evident in the American legal system. She shames her son's name with this lawsuit, and I hope she ends up a little poorer because of it.
She won't lose any money because some sleazy lawyer(redundant, I know) has probably taken the case on contingency.

DonWinzen

Stunt Coordinator
Our country is mired in lawsuits. People who file frivilous lawsuits should be responsible for attorney's fees for the defendants.

And regarding the sub-topic of the cigarette issue. I am nearly 40 years old and I have known my entire life that smoking increases the chances of cancer because it is posted on the side of every pack. The Surgeon General began that practice in 1965 the year following the famous report. Give me a break. Even before that people knew cigarettes were harmful but people needed verifiable proof.

Many of the lawsuits participants started smoking after that date. Couldn't they read the side of the pack?

Sorry to rail on but my father died from smoking, he quit once but decided he enjoyed it more than quitting. He told me once that he knew it was unhealthy when he started (that was in 1950).

So blame the cigarette companies and the people who choose to smoke. The former for their greed and the latter for their lack of common sense.

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
Its hard to have common sense when you're ADDICTED to a substance, thats why they call it an addiction, because you can't stop regardless of what the little angel on your shoulder is telling you.

Back to topic: The Mother should be in jail for neglect and over pampering of her son. Jesus, a 30 year old? Man, I wonder how many dates he went on. "Girls are the Debil!!" (Waterboy).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks