What's new

Most Wanted Classic Color Shows On DVD (1965-1979) (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
For this list, it can extend to an 80s title if the show debuted no later than 1979. That for me is what I consider the cut-off point of the "Silver Age of TV" if we want to call the B/W era the "Golden Age of TV". I keep finding that shows that debuted post-1980 just are missing the vibe that persisted the previous era basically.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Most wanted stalled and unreleased shows:
Barnaby Jones
Cannon
McCloud
Quincy M.E.
Baretta
WKRP in Cincinnati
The Magician
The Sixth Sense
Griff
Hec Ramsey
Born Free
Harry O
Owen Marshall
Petrocelli
Kaz
Movin' On
The Immortal
Lucas Tanner
Iron Horse
Serpico
Madigan
Richie Brockelman
Spencer's Pilots
Delvecchio
Dr. Simon Locke
Eischied
Hawkins
The Name of the Game
O'Hara U.S. Treasury
Barbary Coast
The Road West
Assignment Vienna
The Fantastic Journey
A Man Called Sloane
T.H.E. Cat
Toma
Bronk
Sierra
Tenafly
Switch
Dan August
The Blue Knight
Judd, for the Defense
Journey to the Unknown

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I don't have many from this era but:
He & She
The Green Hornet (as if)
Batman (as if, part 2)
The Outsider
Quincy, ME
Hec Ramsey
Rafferty
would be nice.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
From the Saturday Morning Department:
1. & 2. My "Holy Grails" Hot Wheels & Skyhawks
3. Run Joe, Run
4. Westwind
5. Barrier Reef
6. Korg 70,000 BC
7. Emergency! +4

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Regulus /t/321055/most-wanted-classic-color-shows-on-dvd-1965-1979#post_3931658
From the Saturday Morning Department:
1. & 2. My "Holy Grails" Hot Wheels & Skyhawks
3. Run Joe, Run
4. Westwind
5. Barrier Reef
6. Korg 70,000 BC
7. Emergency! +4

Hot Wheels would be interesting, but I wonder about rights issues. Have to clear it with Mattel first, I would think. Very much agree with Emergency +4, add in Fantastic Journey, the 'missing' (i.e. rights clearance hell) season of Super Friends, more Scooby-Doo...

Could go a while just on the kids stuff.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
MOST DESIRED COLOR SERIES (from 1965-1980) in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER:
Beverly Hillbillies, The (Season 4, 1965-1966) CBS / PARAMOUNT
Beverly Hillbillies, The (Season 5, 1966-1967) CBS / PARAMOUNT
Beverly Hillbillies, The (Season 6, 1967-1968) CBS / PARAMOUNT
Lucy Show, The, The (Season 6, 1967-1968) CBS / PARAMOUNT
Green Acres (Season 4, 1968-1969) MGM
Green Acres (Season 5, 1969-1970) MGM
Green Acres (Season 6, 1970-1971) MGM
Here's Lucy (Season 6, 1973-1974) MPI
Happy Days (Season 2 Do Over, 1974-1975) CBS / PARAMOUNT
Happy Days (Season 5, 1977-1978) CBS / PARAMOUNT
Happy Days (Season 6, 1978-1979) CBS / PARAMOUNT
Happy Days (Season 7, 1979-1980) CBS / PARAMOUNT

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
MattPeriolat said:
Hot Wheels would be interesting, but I wonder about rights issues. Have to clear it with Mattel first, I would think. Very much agree with Emergency +4, add in Fantastic Journey, the 'missing' (i.e. rights clearance hell) season of Super Friends, more Scooby-Doo...
Could go a while just on the kids stuff.
Although Mattel was a sponsor, cars from that series (The Jack Rabbit Special, The Sand Crab and The Demon) didn't make their debut until the show's second year. Peggy Charon and her "Do Gooder" Group called Action for Children's Television were the ones who got this show removed from the airwaves, saying they were "Overlong Commercials" for the Toys. They eventually ruined Saturday Morning TV, fortunately most of the shows they "Banned" are now available on DVD, but alas Hot Wheels & Skyhawks are not among them. :(

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I have seen the complete series or parts that a friend imported from Canada and he was super enthusiastic about it. Trouble was it as pinker than pink and thus a waste of his money. I don't know what he paid for it.

Laugh-In supposedly has a multitude of rights issues. Don't think I ever got around to the Best of. They were high priced then and too much other stuff one wanted.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My list here will be pretty small as most of the shows from this era that I'd be interested in have already been released. I'll follow the thread starter's way of doing this.

Stalled Series I'd like to see restarted:

Barnaby Jones
Quincy
Petticoat Junction
Love American Style
Big Valley (although I already have Encore prints that serve me just fine)

Unreleased Series:

Harry O.
Hec Ramsey
The Magician
Harlem Globetrotters (H/B cartoon)

And that's about it for me. This era just doesn't have the appeal to me that it does to many of my contemporaries here at HTF.

Gary "more than like many of you will get your wishes fulfilled by Shout or other studios" O.

Y

yuanzhaoman173

All the watches of your chanel bags home but are worrying of finding the same model in different locations in your house, dispel these thoughts. These Rolex replica watches come in a wide array of colors and models. You will never be able to exhaust the entire of these Rolex replica watches even if you keep a different one in all the rooms of your condominium.People are known by the company they keep and those who wear Rolex replica replica bags watches are known and recognized by one and all. If you wish to be recognized wherever you go, it is imperative that you too go in for Rolex replica watches. These Rolex replica watches will ensure that you are the center of attraction at the party. With prices at an chanel bag all time low you can have different Rolex replica watches for every day of the week. Make your presence felt with these Rolex replica watches.There are a wide range of Rolex watches that you will be spoilt for choice. These watches come in different colors and shades. rolex replicas There is a Rolex watch available for almost every profession.A Rolex does not come cheap and is sold at premium rates.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I didn't watch it, but TCM had an interesting movie about the Harlem Globetrotters on last night. Looked good from the couple of minutes I caught.
For me, the top show from this era that I want is the color seasons of My Three Sons immediately after the excellent B&W run ended. Love those first few seasons just like I do the B&W run. And Tina Cole is perhaps the best cast addition I've ever seen in the history of television. So I'd love to get those first 4 seasons (And proper releases of the B&W start of the series). Particularly love the episodes dealing with Katie and Robbie's romance, marriage, and then the triplets.
Not much interest in the remaining seasons. Didn't like the addition of Beverly Garland, Dawn Lyn, and Ronne Troup (And the disappearance of Don Grady). I'd buy them if they were out though.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Absolutely Leo, couldn't agree more -- I'd say, in a sense, Tina Cole gave that show an extra 5 years on air -- I knew people who watched it only for her and Don Grady and loathed everyone else on the show.
And mentioning the Trotters, how about their seminal performance in one of the landmark telemovies of the early 80s, THE HARLEM GLOBETROTTERS ON GILLIGAN'S ISLAND also missing on dvd.
For me, only one show -- a brave, misunderstood classic that limped through one season and two made for tv movies. A show ahead of it's time with performances that will live through the ages, beyond the 35 years it has already spent in the vaults....
Yes, Ernest Borgnine in FUTURE COP
And, for good measure -- another failed sitcom with a great cast -- Dean Jones and John Banner in THE CHICAGO TEDDY BEARS

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Stalled:
-Barnaby Jones
Unreleased:
-The Life And Times Of Grizzly Adams. I don't know who owns the Sunn Classic library, but this still unreleased is a mystery to me. Possibly the greatest family friendly tv show ever created(right alongside Lassie).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Quincy
I'm currently watching this on Netflix(every season and episode available) in HD!!
Trust me I'd much rather own them on dvd.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Gary OS said:
My list here will be pretty small as most of the shows from this era that I'd be interested in have already been released.  I'll follow the thread starter's way of doing this.
Barnaby Jones
Quincy
Petticoat Junction
Love American Style
Big Valley (although I already have Encore prints that serve me just fine)
Unreleased Series:
Harry O.
Hec Ramsey
The Magician
Harlem Globetrotters (H/B cartoon)
And that's about it for me.  This era just doesn't have the appeal to me that it does to many of my contemporaries here at HTF.
Gary "more than like many of you will get your wishes fulfilled by Shout or other studios" O.
Wow, Gary... while I know you have a long list of black & white wants, and the 1970s era of TV doesn't hold much interest to you (and I have similar sentiments, with a handful of exceptions), I'm kind of surprised you don't have a longer list of unreleased color shows from, say, 1965-1970. Anthologies were falling out of favor by that time, but apart from that, are shows like, for instance--
HAWK
IRON HORSE
THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
T.H.E. CAT
THE NAME OF THE GAME
DUNDEE & CULHANE
FELONY SQUAD
HE & SHE
N.Y.P.D.
HONDO
THE OCCASIONAL WIFE
CORONET BLUE
JUDD FOR THE DEFENSE
HANK
THE SECOND HUNDRED YEARS
GARRISON'S GORILLAS
MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT
THE IMMORTAL
--are they reaaaaaaally all that radically different from black and white shows from 1962-65? They utilized the same actors and behind-the-scenes personnel, had similar story themes, and had the same look/style as the black & white series that switched to color during their runs. Not that I think you should be clamoring for any of the above series in particular (except for, of course, T.H.E. CAT, but that goes without saying :D ), but you're so obviously a lover of classic-era TV (defined, by me, as the 1950s & 1960s), that your short 'want list' here left me scratching my head... though that might just be my dandruff acting up. :laugh:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Peter, believe it or not most of the shows you listed have slipped past me. I've only seen examples of a few of them so it's certainly possible I'd be in for the majority of the ones you mentioned. I would be in for T.H.E. Cat and The Second Hundred Years for sure.

Gary "I'm sure I could find some more if I really looked hard - I just went with the few that came to mind immediately in my first post" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
BTW, I've been meaning to ask everyone: What do we do with a color series done in the 50's? I'm talking about the Jack Webb series Noah's Ark. This is one I'd dearly love to have. And it was done by Revue, so I'm wondering if Timeless could do it if they were so inclined? Not sure. Perhaps having Jack Webb's name attached to it would make it harder to license than other 2nd tier shows of the time.

Gary "I wouldn't mind having the show that replaced it either - Panic!" O.

trapper john md
dan august
the name of the game
switch
house calls
angie, with original music
peticoat junction
cannon
barnaby jones
my three sons
harry o
police woman
mccloud
longstreet
owen marshall counselor at law
kaz
flying high
ironside
eight is enough
lifes and times of grizzly adams
love american style
the magician

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks